(off-base) military housing firearm restrictions

This is a discussion on (off-base) military housing firearm restrictions within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am currently in GA, but probably headed back to Pearl Harbor for my next sea duty. I have been stationed there twice before for ...

Thread: (off-base) military housing firearm restrictions

I am currently in GA, but probably headed back to Pearl Harbor for my next sea duty. I have been stationed there twice before for a total of 4 years but did not have my guns at the time. So I was reading through the policy regarding firearms in Navy housing, that is not on base and is owned by a private company, and it says that to have guns in housing they must be kept unloaded in a locked cabinet and the ammo kept in a separate locked cabinet. This is more stringent than the state of hawaii's policy. Is it legal for them to enforce this restriction? That would be equal to a civilians landlord telling them they have to do this. I will follow this rule, even if it is illegal, but I will be sure to inform them it is not legal if that is the case. What's the point in having my guns there if I will have to stop the intruder and ask him to wait for me to open my two cabinets and load my gun before he comes in. At least I will still have my Doberman.
    Last edited by lskinner4; April 8th, 2010 at 04:58 PM. Reason: edited to specify unloaded in locked cabinet

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lskinner4 View Post
    I am currently in GA, but probably headed back to Pearl Harbor for my next sea duty. I have been stationed there twice before for a total of 4 years but did not have my guns at the time. So I was reading through the policy regarding firearms in Navy housing, that is not on base and is owned by a private company, and it says that to have guns in housing they must be kept unloaded in a locked cabinet and the ammo kept in a separate locked cabinet. This is more stringent than the state of hawaii's policy. Is it legal for them to enforce this restriction? That would be equal to a civilians landlord telling them they have to do this. I will follow this rule, even if it is illegal, but I will be sure to inform them it is not legal if that is the case. What's the point in having my guns there if I will have to stop the intruder and ask him to wait for me to open my two cabinets and load my gun before he comes in. At least I will still have my Doberman.
    You must remember, you are still on Government Property so the more stringent then Hawaii's policy doesn't matter. It's quite different then a civilian landlord telling you what to do, they contract through the military housing authority which makes them a little higher in the food chain then a civilian landlord in this type of environment my friend.

I'm not sure on the weapon policy for the Navy and on-base housing off-base, just making some casual observations of how the base housing living goes with the contractors running the show.

I hope it works out for you in the end. Be safe.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Mic
    Mostly CYA action there, liability issues and all with the insurance. Legal? probably not, but you will probably sign some sort of lease agreement witch is legally saying you will abide to the rules the management sets forth and that is a legal agreement that you can be punished for if you violate the agreement.
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

Not only are you on government property, you are government property.
    For a man interested only in passin' through, he suddenly found himself entangled in a deadly struggle….

ad utrumque paratus

Quote Originally Posted by Passin' Through View Post
    Not only are you on government property, you are government property.
    This is the operative rule;
    You ARE government property.
    You've been in the Navy several years,surely you know this.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

This was more of a complaint than an actual question. I don't have a problem following the rules. After I posted this I realized they can put pretty much anything they want on the lease and if I sign it I will have a legal obligation to follow it. I was just pretty heated after I read the policy. Also Navy housing is the only housing in Hawaii that still allows Dobermans, I hope that doesn't change before I get there.

Sponsored Links