air marshall's completely useless?

This is a discussion on air marshall's completely useless? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'd rather "waste" money on Air Marshalls than alot of other things I'm sure this individual has voted in favor of spending money on. Me ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: air marshall's completely useless?

I'd rather "waste" money on Air Marshalls than alot of other things I'm sure this individual has voted in favor of spending money on.
    Me too.

2. Remove Ads

I'm with Duncan...waste of money, very little bang for the taxpayer buck.

I'm all for reducing the money spent by the federal government.

However, 870 million is a drop in the bucket of the 3.5 TRILLION total budget for 2010. I think this is not out of line to have some amount of protection on aircraft. I would also think we can do a lot of addition things for aviation security before boarding the aircraft. Things such as actually looking for terrorist instead of X-Raying little kids and grandmas.

VIP Member
    The FAMs are actually expanding their role quite a bit, working with ICE and similar agencies that work in and around ports of entry. This will certainly increase their number of arrests.

Of course, arresting people isn't really their job...saying that they're doing a bad job because they haven't arrested many people for blowing up airplanes is like saying the USSS is doing a bad job because they haven't arrested many people for killing the president...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by billfromtx View Post
    The easiest thing to do would be to let people who lawfully/legally carry a CCW do so everywhere...Airplanes included. That would throw a monkey wrench in there plans! There would be NO free fire zones. I know it'll never happen but imagine if a person or 2 had been packing on the AC involved that sad day in Sept!...We would be making jokes about dumb terrorist bring a knife to a gun fight instead of living the gaggle we now have at airport!
    Because no terrorist could EVER get a CCW. Right?
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    It is very difficult to prove a negative, so quantifying the value of security is always difficult. This is why so many establishments have gone to unarmed security, or totally eliminated security personnel.

It would indeed be less expensive to issue every sober able-bodied American citizen passenger with a 4" knife and a 26" police-style baton for the duration of each flight, and since the good guys would outnumber the bad guys, the flight would be relatively safe.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaquero 45 View Post
    No terrorist could ever become Air Marshals, Border Patrol Agents, or Capitol Police Officers, either. Right?
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    No terrorist could ever become Air Marshals, Border Patrol Agents, or Capitol Police Officers, either. Right?
    and certainly not pilots.
    "Just blame Sixto"

There are plenty of useless government agencies. The problem is they all use their budgets trying to justify their own existence.

The DEA uses more money than most on a war that most will argue is unwinnable.

At least one part of the ATF exists to enforce gun control of which the constitution says there should be none.

No one wants to get rid of deparments and agencies though because then people would lose their jobs and they would have to be reappropriated somewhere else. Budgets are sickeningly squandered by all levels of government just so they can get the same or more dollars next year.

I think we should spend the money on the "preventive" measure than being reactive.....

Just my 2 cents...
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
    Military & Police Firearms Instructor
    Professional Student of Learning......

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce130 View Post
    I'm with Duncan...waste of money, very little bang for the taxpayer buck.
    I was thinking little signs....WELCOME ABOARD ARMY SNIPERS! or WOULD ALL POLICE OFFICERS ON BOARD PLEASE KEEP FIREARMS IN HOLSTERS UNTIL SHOOTING EXHIBITION IN CARGO AREA, THANK YOU.
    I mean, if a NO GUN ZONE sign is meant to keep us safe....
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Vaquero 45 View Post
    and they cant take flying lesson's, or walk onto a Army base and shoot a bunch of honest dis-armed people, or walk into a College/school and shoot a bunch of people....etc...etc...etc...RIGHT
    USMC 1984-1992
    To err is human.
    To forgive is divine.
    Neither of which is Marine Corps policy.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gogriz91 View Post
    I'd rather "waste" money on Air Marshalls than alot of other things I'm sure this individual has voted in favor of spending money on.
    ^^^^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^

And I have given up on flying.
    but still would rather see the money go to this than some IDIOTIC porkbarrel, nincompoop, longhaired, skeevey, money laundering government B S scheme
    Whew, I'm glad you allowed me to get that off my chest!

"If you put the government in charge of the desert, there would be a sand shortage within ten years." - A very wise man
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

The Federal Air Marshall Service is a valued asset to this Country. I find it horribly distasteful that a politician is using arrest statistics as a gauge to decide this services fate. I know in NYC the Air Marshall's are on Metro North Rail Road, Subways, Long Island Railroad and NJ Transit.

The fact is when I can't have my gun with me I because of No Gun Zones that are designed to make me safe(I am having a hard time with that bs line) I want an Air Marshall who can shoot fast and accurate there protecting me and my family with that .357 sig. p229.

Must be nice to be a Congressman and have your own traveling privileges and false sense of reality that comes with being a politician. At our expense no less. Sorry if I sound bitter. Politicians like these have been killing public safety servants and putting the public at risk for years with there agenda driven fiscal investigations.
    IAFF 2623
    Everyone comes home!

One of the issues with the FAM service is the way that they pad their flight statistics on short domestic hops instead of the longer flights that many believe the terrorists would actually use, or on international flights into the US from less secured airports. I don't have a problem with air marshals, but many believe they aren't being effectively used at all.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links