Trial opens for Navy SEAL charged with abusing Falluja suspect

This is a discussion on Trial opens for Navy SEAL charged with abusing Falluja suspect within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Looks like the trial is on it's second day... Trial opens for Navy SEAL charged with abusing Falluja suspect - CNN.com Trial opens for Navy ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trial opens for Navy SEAL charged with abusing Falluja suspect

Looks like the trial is on it's second day...
    Trial opens for Navy SEAL charged with abusing Falluja suspect - CNN.com
    By the CNN Wire Staff
    April 21, 2010 10:33 a.m. EDT
    * Fellow sailor testifies in first court-martial of three U.S. Navy SEALs
    * Detainee Ahmed Hashim Abed says Americans mistreated him
    * Abed allegedly led group that mutilated four U.S. contractors

Baghdad, Iraq (CNN) -- An Iraqi who accused sailors of assaulting him while in detention testified Wednesday he was handcuffed, blindfolded and struck, a painful ordeal that ended after he pleaded for the beating to stop.

Ahmed Hashim Abed took the stand at the court-martial for U.S. Navy Petty Officer 1st Class Julio Huertas.

Abed is thought by U.S. authorities to be the mastermind in the slayings and mutilation of four U.S. contractors in Falluja, Iraq, in 2004, one of the war's most notorious crimes against Americans. He has accused Huertas and two other Navy SEALs -- Petty Officer 2nd Class Jonathan Keefe and Petty Officer 2nd Class Matthew McCabe -- of assaulting him while he was detained.

Abed said he was handcuffed, blindfolded and moved around into different rooms at his detention site. He said he was beaten on his right shoulder and back and fell out of a chair because of the pain.

Abed said he was picked up and then struck in the stomach, causing him to fall on his face. He was kicked on his side and legs and felt a foot on his face. Even though Abed doesn't speak English, he said the man beating him was using bad words.

The beating stopped when Abed begged for it to end, he said.

He said he was put back on the chair and tasted blood from a deep cut inside his mouth. He felt the blood trickle down on his dishdasha, a long garment worn by men, and seep onto his undershirt. He said he received a new dishdasha but not a new undershirt.

He did not identify or name any of his alleged abusers, but said he saw someone wearing a red shirt when his blindfold was up. He couldn't say how many people were in the room when he was beaten. He testified that he thought there were two people but he only heard one voice.

Now being held at the U.S. detention facility Camp Cropper, Abed testified he assisted U.S. and Iraqi troops in picking up terrorists.

Abed, who took the stand for about an hour, spoke through an interpreter. He was questioned by the prosecution and defense and was expected to take the stand again during the trial.

Huertas and Keefe both face charges of dereliction of duty, based on the allegation that they failed to safeguard the detainee, according to the military. Huertas is also charged with impeding an investigation by attempting to influence the testimony of another sailor.

Petty Officer 3rd Class Kevin DeMartino testified Wednesday that the three accused sailors all showed up at the detention facility.

He said McCabe hesitated a little bit before hitting a bound and masked prisoner in the midsection. The man gasped for air and fell to the ground. DeMartino said he then saw Keefe standing over the man with a stick.

"Don't feel bad for this guy. He killed a lot of Americans," Keefe said, according to DeMartino.

DeMartino said blood was dripping down the detainee's dishdasha.

He said Huertas approached him, asking, "Did you get your story straight?"

"What am I supposed to say? He's got blood all over him," DeMartino said.

Last January, a military judge ruled that the trials of Keefe and Huertas be held on a base in Iraq. McCabe, who is charged with assault, will be tried May 3 in Norfolk, Virginia.

Keefe's court-martial was supposed to have opened on Monday, but it was delayed after defense lawyers were stuck in Europe because of the Icelandic volcano.

Each proceeding is expected to last about three days.

The case against the SEALs has sparked outrage that the sailors are being tried at all for handling a suspect in the contractors' murders. A Facebook page called "Support The Navy SEALs who Captured Ahmed Hashim Abed" has almost 120,000 members.

After the contractors for the security firm Blackwater were killed with hand grenades and rifles, their bodies were set on fire and dragged through the streets. Two of them were hung from a bridge in Falluja, an image that was broadcast around the world.

Four days later, U.S. Marines launched a major offensive inside Falluja, in part to help find the killers.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    Lets see, the accused terrorist got some blood on his doo rag, then acquired a fat lip, we are now having a trial of the guys that volunteered to keep my family safe because somebody got a fat lip and blood on his doo rag? I mean REALLY?

I mean he wasn't beheaded, burned or anything that has happened to Americans and we are whining because this accused turd has a fat lip.
    I am embarrassed on this one.

Unfortunately I have been following this since they were thinking about bringing up charges. There have been rallies and vigils and letters sent to congress and senators. I am afraid they are going to sacrifice this SEAL. Since we have handed over this miserable peice of land the Iraqis have been nit picking everything we do. The Blackwater fiasco didnt help us out either. (I dont know enough about the dealings to have an opinion on it, I just know it hasnt helped our current situation) IA and IP have been increasingly belligerent towards contractors and they are increasingly pushing us (Soldiers/Marines) to the side. Its great because it means they are ready for us to go, but they are also wanting to punish us for their still deep seeded dislike. I hate this country and I hate these people. There are exceptions, but they are few and far between. I wish this SEAL luck, but with our current politcal correctness and lack of huevos to stand up to the world I see us sacrificing an American hero.

exactly. I saw this story when it first surfaced and it disgusts me.
    I LOVE ME SOME HK's!

RIP Mike, miss you buddy!

VIP Member
    There just aren't words to express my anger and outrage over this, although the previous posts approach my sentiment.

Outraged and disgusted, I weep for my county and whats it has become. God help us!
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

They can KILL & HANG our Americans, But We can't Slap a KILLER AROUND
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    The SEAL needs to be reprimanded for NOT FINISHING THE JOB!

And then he should be given an opportunity to correct the error.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Personally, I think the terrorist should have been hung from a bridge and set on fire. Death by his own design. But that would be barbaric.

So he gets a fat lip and roughed up a bit. I couldn't care less.

I think the SEAL's who captured him and are now on trial, showed a considerable amount of restraint considering one of the 4 contractors killed, mutilated and hung from the bridge was formerly a rather well known Navy SEAL himself, Scott Helvenston.
    Last edited by Bark'n; April 21st, 2010 at 05:25 PM.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post

So he gets a fat lip and roughed up a bit. I could care less.
    You COULD care less? Then feel free to care less. . What you really mean to say is, "I couldn't care less".

To the issue at hand, The Navy SEAL deserves a written apology from the president. You can't start prosecuting the military for doing its job.

Quoted from CNN and BBC regarding what happened on March 31, 2004 in Fallaja, Iraq

Witnesses said the contractors were passing through Falluja in two four-wheel-drive vehicles when gunmen opened fire. The victims' remains were hung from a bridge An angry crowd descended on the cars, throwing stones and setting the vehicles ablaze. The corpses were dragged from the wreckage and television pictures showed one burnt body being kicked and stamped on, while at least two were tied to cars and driven through the city, witnesses said.

Adults and children hacked the bodies to pieces, before lynching two of the charred remains from a bridge spanning the Euphrates River. "The people of Falluja hanged some of the bodies on the old bridge like slaughtered sheep," said local resident Abdul Aziz Mohammed. One Iraqi held a sign underneath one of the lynched bodies which read: "Falluja is the cemetery for Americans".
    In the Oval Office the killings were taken as "a challenge to America's resolve," according to the Los Angeles Times. President Bush issued a statement through his spokesperson. "We will not be intimidated," he said. "We will finish the job." Brig. Gen. Mark Kimmitt vowed, "We will be back in Falluja.... We will hunt down the criminals.... It's going to be deliberate. It will be precise, and it will be overwhelming." Within days of the ambush, US forces laid siege to Falluja, beginning what would be one of the most brutal and sustained US operations of the occupation.

3 Questions that I don't know the answer too, but maybe someone can enlighten me.

1. Why wasn't this enemy killed on sight?

2. Why did word of a minor injury of a enemy resisting arrest even leave the room?

3. Why hasn't our Commander in Chief called off this nonsense?

The alleged abuse / assault that this alleged murdering piece of human terrorist garbage allegedly suffered while he was resisting arrest, uh... really? I've seen worse and more blood outside (and inside) the USO Club, and in playgrounds across America. Big freaking deal. Geez..... What next? Do we have to worry about hurting a murderers feelings?

That any of the Navy SEALs commanding officers, SOCC, NCIS, AG, whomever, would waste one second of their time to deal with something as insignificant as this is pathetic. You are un-American and should be ashamed of yourselves.

I may be out of touch, but whatever happened to standing by your shipmates? Especially in light of the gruesome murders that were committed. "I don't know, sir", "I didn't see anything, sir.", "I don't remember, sir."

That the SOCC desk jockeys didn't file this one in the shredder, is....... grrrrr I can't even say it.

Checkout the charge sheets: http://bobmccarty.com/wp-content/upl...SO2-McCabe.pdf

These brave warriors belong in combat, not in the courthouse. They captured the most wanted terrorist in Iraq. We may never know how many other heroic missions they undertook on behalf of our country. The charges should be dropped, and they should be returned to their unit – with our gratitude for their service.

Stand up for the SEALs who are standing up for us!

The brave men who live and die by this code are who we need to punnish?

In times of war or uncertainty there is a special breed of warrior ready to answer our Nation’s call. A common man with uncommon desire to succeed. Forged by adversity, he stands alongside America’s finest special operations forces to serve his country, the American people, and protect their way of life. I am that man.
    My Trident is a symbol of honor and heritage. Bestowed upon me by the heroes that have gone before, it embodies the trust of those I have sworn to protect. By wearing the Trident I accept the responsibility of my chosen profession and way of life. It is a privilege that I must earn every day.
    My loyalty to Country and Team is beyond reproach. I humbly serve as a guardian to my fellow Americans always ready to defend those who are unable to defend themselves. I do not advertise the nature of my work, nor seek recognition for my actions. I voluntarily accept the inherent hazards of my profession, placing the welfare and security of others before my own.
    I serve with honor on and off the battlefield. The ability to control my emotions and my actions, regardless of circumstance, sets me apart from other men. Uncompromising integrity is my standard. My character and honor are steadfast. My word is my bond.
    We expect to lead and be led. In the absence of orders I will take charge, lead my teammates and accomplish the mission. I lead by example in all situations.
    I will never quit. I persevere and thrive on adversity. My Nation expects me to be physically harder and mentally stronger than my enemies. If knocked down, I will get back up, every time. I will draw on every remaining ounce of strength to protect my teammates and to accomplish our mission. I am never out of the fight.
    We demand discipline. We expect innovation. The lives of my teammates and the success of our mission depend on me - my technical skill, tactical proficiency, and attention to detail. My training is never complete.
    We train for war and fight to win. I stand ready to bring the full spectrum of combat power to bear in order to achieve my mission and the goals established by my country. The execution of my duties will be swift and violent when required yet guided by the very principles that I serve to defend.
    Brave men have fought and died building the proud tradition and feared reputation that I am bound to uphold. In the worst of conditions, the legacy of my teammates steadies my resolve and silently guides my every deed. I will not fail.
    I know what you're thinking: "Did he fire six shots or only five?" "Is that a Smith & Wesson 686+ 7 shot or 627 8 shot?" "Does he have a concealed Sig P226 SCT and two spare mags?" You've got to ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Personally, I think the terrorist should have been hung from a bridge and set on fire. Death by his own design.
    That would be justice.

If the SEALs incur legal costs of any sort, I'll make a financial contribution to them. It won't be as much as I'd like, but I'll do it.

I know what you're thinking: "Did he fire six shots or only five?" "Is that a Smith & Wesson 686+ 7 shot or 627 8 shot?" "Does he have a concealed Sig P226 SCT and two spare mags?" You've got to ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?

I'll look over that website when I have more time, but I have some concern about it.

On the donations page, it has "employer" listed as "legally required" info.

BS.

None of their dang business who my employer is. My money's green--that's all that matters.

That "legally required" bit makes me wonder if the site is legit.

I'll look into it further when I have time. If it's legit, then I do appreciate the link.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links