Pirate Suspects To Be Prosecuted in US

Pirate Suspects To Be Prosecuted in US

This is a discussion on Pirate Suspects To Be Prosecuted in US within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The Associated Press: AP source: Pirate suspects to be prosecuted in US AP source: Pirate suspects to be prosecuted in US By PETE YOST (AP) ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VIP Member

Thumbs up Pirate Suspects To Be Prosecuted in US

The Associated Press: AP source: Pirate suspects to be prosecuted in US

AP source: Pirate suspects to be prosecuted in US
    By PETE YOST (AP) – 1 day ago

WASHINGTON — At least five pirate suspects are being brought to the United States for prosecution, a federal law enforcement official said Tuesday.

The suspects will arrive in the United States by the end of the week, the official told The Associated Press. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the transfer is still under way.

U.S. officials had said last week that about 20 suspected pirates held on U.S. ships off the coast of Somalia might soon be headed to the U.S. for prosecution.

A senior U.S. official said Tuesday that five alleged pirates en route to the U.S. were captured March 31, after the frigate USS Nicholas exchanged fire with a suspected pirate vessel west of the Seychelles, sinking their skiff and confiscating a mother ship.

It was not clear whether the rest of the suspected pirates in custody will now be released or sent somewhere for prosecution, said the official, who also spoke on condition of anonymity because decisions have not been made.

Of those others in custody, six were captured after they allegedly began shooting at the amphibious dock landing ship USS Ashland about 380 miles off Djibouti, a small nation facing Yemen across the mouth of the Red Sea.

As many as 10 other suspected pirates were captured when the destroyer USS McFaul responded to the distress call from a merchant vessel.

Military officials said there are concerns that if the six suspects who fired on the USS Ashland are not brought to trial, it could send out a message to other pirates that those who attack a U.S. Navy ship can escape without prosecution.

The government's decision to bring the suspected pirates to the United States comes amid heated debate among U.S. and other international agencies over where piracy suspects should be sent for trial. Earlier this month Kenya began refusing to take piracy suspects, saying the trials were straining its courts.

Senior officials from several U.S. agencies met last week at the White House to discuss the issue.

One piracy suspect has already gone to court in New York City in connection with the attack against an American cargo ship early last year.

Under U.S. policy, if the Navy captures suspects accused of hijacking an American ship, they are brought to the United States for trial. Those accused of attacking another country's ship are supposed to be tried by that country or, until this month, in Kenya.

The piracy prosecutions are part of a larger U.S. policy debate over how best to deal with the insurgents and criminal activities that contribute to the persistent instability in Somalia, making it a safe haven for al-Qaida-linked terrorists.

There have been preliminary discussions about setting up a special international court to try piracy suspects, because a number of countries will not take action against suspected pirates who are turned over to them. Officials said, however, that those talks are in the very early stages.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

"Military officials said there are concerns that if the six suspects who fired on the USS Ashland are not brought to trial, it could send out a message to other pirates that those who attack a U.S. Navy ship can escape without prosecution."

Prosecuting and sending the pirates to prison is certainly a deterrent. I think a better deterrent would have been sinking their boat and sending them to the bottom.

Distinguished Member
    1. They're idiots for attacking a US Navy vessel. And this isn't the first time!
    2. I have no use for these pirates, it sickens me every time I hear of another ship taken. They deserve whatever they get. It's a shame they didn't get to meet Nemo.
    3. Don't mess with the Navy!
    Last edited by rstickle; April 21st, 2010 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Language work around

Well, if pirates are captured by U.S. Military personnel, I have no problem prosecuting them here. At least they will have a trial instead of being released.

I wouldn't be opposed to an International Piracy Court, if it were to be established in a way that was truly effective and not corrupted by by the political meddling of the sponsoring Countries. (Good luck with that happening, eh?)

But in the mean time... We catch 'em, we get to prosecute them.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Wonder what their defense will be,we was out in the ocean waterskiing with AK47's when a big boat sunked us
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Once attacked the US Ships should have kept firing until there was nothing left floating that could be recognizable. We need the shooting practice! Now we get to try them, convict them, pay for their support for the next 15-20 years.

Whats wrong with the old fashion walk the plank and feed the sharks for caught pirates ? It worked for the last few centuries.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Once attacked the US Ships should have kept firing until there was nothing left floating that could be recognizable. We need the shooting practice! Now we get to try them, convict them, pay for their support for the next 15-20 years.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member
    Unfortunately I think once they throw the white flag/surrender we can't keep shooting at them.

Which means we need to work faster!

I want to know what the conversation was like that morning when they figured it was a good idea to attack a US Navy ship (or any allied ship for that matter). What's their next plan to attack the Nimitz?

Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    What's their next plan to attack the Nimitz?
    How about a boomer?

And the US taxpayer will foot the bill for the best attorneys from around the globe.

A box of 5.56 NATO or 20mm, is alot cheaper, and projects an immediately deterrance.
    I know what you're thinking: "Did he fire six shots or only five?" "Is that a Smith & Wesson 686+ 7 shot or 627 8 shot?" "Does he have a concealed Sig P226 SCT and two spare mags?" You've got to ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?

Distinguished Member
    Would you expect anything more from our leaders???

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Military Tribunal or Civilian Court? Personally, I'd consider them "Enemy Combatants"

Just one more reason they should have been killed, not arrested.

I guess I'm a traditionalist. I still thing immediately hanging them is right and proper.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    Give them a trial, if convicted, place them in handcuffs and leg irons and make them walk the plank!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links