Is it disrespectful to wear military clothing?

This is a discussion on Is it disrespectful to wear military clothing? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was wondering this very thing if one has relatives in the service is it considered to be disrespectful if their family members,who aren't or ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it disrespectful to wear military clothing?

Is it disrespectful to wear military clothing?

I was wondering this very thing if one has relatives in the service is it considered to be disrespectful if their family members,who aren't or who haven't served to wear in the military to wear say an army tshirt for example? I ask out of curiosity as my cousin is a marine and she is in Afghanistan tight now. My aunt was telling me she had on a marines shirt and someone commented she shouldn't be wearing it if she hasn't served,is this the case?

For the record I have a great respect for anyone who serves in our armed forces and was simply curious about this topic. I realize its those brave men and woman who fight and sometimes pay the ultimate price that allows me the freedom to sit here and type this,god bless them all and may they return home safely.
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

2. Remove Ads

You and your Aunt wear your military clothes, tee's, etc. and forget the idiots who don't like it. If worn in support of, or a gift from your cousin, show it off proudly!

Civilians wearing military anything 'pretending' to be what thier not is disrespectful. I don't think that's the case with you or your Aunt.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    You and your Aunt wear your military clothes, tee's, etc. and forget the idiots who don't like it. If worn in support of, or a gift from your cousin, show it off proudly!

Civilians wearing military anything 'pretending' to be what thier not is disrespectful. I don't think that's the case with you or your Aunt.
    Exactly what I was thinking.
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people...and chimps do, if they have a gun

Quote Originally Posted by reyno2ac View Post
    Exactly what I was thinking.
    If my Mom was weaing a USAF shirt and someone said somthing like that I would want my her to tell them to pound sand!
    Christian/Father/Husband/American/NRA Benefactor Life Member/GOA Life Member/USAF NCO/Operations; Provide Comfort/Northern Watch/Southern Watch/Enduring Freedom/Iraqi Freedom/TBD....

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    It doesn't bother me. Not capitalizing "Marine" does a bit though. ;)
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

People need to quit looking for motives behind everything. Growing up we bought alot of our clothes from the local army surplus. The reason my parents bought it was because it was cheap. Sometimes there is no reason other than fit and comfort behind what I wear.

Michael

Why should it be a problem?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member
    I wear an 82d Airborne shirt and hat proudly as they were given to me by my step-granddad who served and fought in WWII. No one has ever commented negatively and if they did I'd tell them where to go.

I also have a FDNY shirt that as a gift for a donation made. I used to have a Rehoboth Beach Rescue shirt too, but some xgf now has that. :/

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    It doesn't bother me unless the person is trying to pass himself off as being former military, whether by subtle implication or outright lies.

Generally, I wouldn't wear it unless it was a gift from a family member or very close friend who served (or is serving); or as a specific show of support for someone like that. In which case I think it's wholly appropriate.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

IMO relatives also sacrifice. If/when I get deployed my wife and my soon to come baby girl will be without their husband and father. They have earned the right. Shoot, even the idiot who is not wearing them w/support and respect have that right because others have died and been wounded have given them that right.

I bet this person didn't even serve himself. What irks me is people who claim things they are not. Like that fake SEAL that posts on forums

So tell your aunt to wear that Marine t-shirt with pride!!!

VIP Member
    Yeah ,I don't see the big deal,
    If someone is wearing a batman or superman teeshirt, are they supposed to be batman or superman.?
    I'd tell those clodhoppers to go fly a kite

Anything Free Is Worth What You Pay For It
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Administrator
    Simply wearing a T-shirt with whatever branch is not, I view it as showing support. Go to any public school near a military post/base, and you will find plenty of kids who are wearing dad's BDU shirts to show support. I think that is cool.

Maybe I'm old school, but I find service members wearing BDU's out in public disrespectful to themselves, the service and the public in general. I see young E1-E4 wearing there BDU's to the mall or out with there girlfriends somewhat often. It ticks me off. Its obviously an attention thing for them. Maybe a current active member can school me on this, but when I was in, that was a huge no no.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by jumpwing View Post
    It doesn't bother me unless the person is trying to pass himself off as being former military, whether by subtle implication or outright lies.
    I think that your response answers the question quite adequately. It is the attempt to deceive that causes the disrespect. Field fatigues or utilities without insignia seems little different from the camouflage that hunters wear. However, when insignia is placed thereon in a manner to suggest that the person was a veteran, that is when it becomes objectionable.

As a Vietnam veteran, I have come across a great many phonies. For example, after 42 years I have yet to meet a legitimate homeless Vietnam veteran although I have seem many try to dress with some military clothing and falsely claim veteran status. I will assume that there are some homeless veterans, but overall it has been a hoax.

If we see a child wears military combat clothes with sergeant stripes, no one should take offense. When an adult wears this type of clothing among groups so as to falsely suggest veteran status, I take offense.
    Live every day so that you can, with a clear conscience, look all men in their eyes and tell them to go to hell.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Simply wearing a T-shirt with whatever branch is not, I view it as showing support. Go to any public school near a military post/base, and you will find plenty of kids who are wearing dad's BDU shirts to show support. I think that is cool.

Maybe I'm old school, but I find service members wearing BDU's out in public disrespectful to themselves, the service and the public in general. I see young E1-E4 wearing there BDU's to the mall or out with there girlfriends somewhat often. It ticks me off. Its obviously an attention thing for them. Maybe a current active member can school me on this, but when I was in, that was a huge no no.
    Depends on what they're doing. On a lunch break? Hitting the grocery store on the way home after work? Heading to they gym before work? Not a problem. Wearing them to Outback? Potentially. If they're meeting someone for a quick dinner after work, not really a big deal. Sitting at the bar pounding shots? Yeah, a problem. But, in the Air Force, wearing a uniform to a bar off base is against regs. In the Navy, wearing a "utility" uniform (flight suit, for example) anywhere off base is prohibited by reg. My point is that it usually depends on the situation. Either way, I'd cut them some slack. I'm sure they're not looking for attention. Personally, I'd react pretty negatively to anyone questioning me wearing my uniform in the mall, at a restaurant, or anywhere else for that matter. But, the area I live in is pretty saturated with AF dudes, so I don't think anyone would even look twice.

To the Original Poster, as long as you are not wearing anything that might indicate you actually belong in the military, have a rank, or belong to a specific unit, no problem. I wish more people would wear support T-shirts and what not!

i still wear some of my old stuff,, field jacket and parker. but this is from the 70's, it does not look like what they have today.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links