Motocycle Rider Stopped by Off Duty Cop

This is a discussion on Motocycle Rider Stopped by Off Duty Cop within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This cop is lucky he's still alive. He gives LE a bad name. Motorcyclist jailed for 26 hours for videotaping gun-wielding cop | Photography is ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

This cop is lucky he's still alive. He gives LE a bad name.

Motorcyclist jailed for 26 hours for videotaping gun-wielding cop | Photography is Not a Crime

There is a longer version of the video on YouTube without any audio if you click.

Already a thread on this, I believe it's list as a scenario with a link to that site.

I've seen this before.
    I'd be nice if there were some recourse for the victim against the cop.
    Failing to identify himself initially, as a LEO, was plenty long enough for someone alert and aware of thier surroundings to draw down on him and fire.
    "I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders!" -- Ted Nugent
    "Not everyone can be born with common sense, some are born liberals." -- MM218

re

man- your not kidding he's lucky the walgreen guy wasn't there or that twit might be chewing on lead - that other hand supposed to have a badge in it
    "Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

Quote Originally Posted by MedicMan218 View Post
    I've seen this before.
    I'd be nice if there were some recourse for the victim against the cop.
    Failing to identify himself initially, as a LEO, was plenty long enough for someone alert and aware of thier surroundings to draw down on him and fire.
    If you watch the video he knew he had the cops behind him,he took the off ramp to try to evade,there was a marked cruiser behind him when the unmarked cut him off
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I think he can sell the mtorcycle beacause his next vehicle will be paid for by the state and the officer.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    If you watch the video he knew he had the cops behind him,he took the off ramp to try to evade,there was a marked cruiser behind him when the unmarked cut him off
    And that he was wearing a badge that was clearly visible as he exited that car.

Quote Originally Posted by HKinNY View Post
    I think he can sell the mtorcycle beacause his next vehicle will be paid for by the state and the officer.
    I wouldn't bet your paycheck on that.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

The officer was upset (understandably) but overreacted, did not follow protocol, did wrong. Now he's overreacted again and has guaranteed a lawsuit.

This may not end well for him.

VIP Member
    If the punk with the gun did that in another State he would most likely end up dead. MD does not allow people to carry. So the punk gets to intimidate. Real nice guy. If one of us pulled a firearm like that what would happen ?.

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccman View Post
    If the punk with the gun did that in another State he would most likely end up dead. MD does not allow people to carry. So the punk gets to intimidate. Real nice guy. If one of us pulled a firearm like that what would happen ?.
    Not sayin the cop was right, but if you think that the guy on the bike, with his hands on the handlebars, could draw with the cop already having a unholstered gun, I would have to disagree with ya.
    Had the bike rider even moved anything like he was drawing (in any state) he would have had 3 rounds in him before he could clear leather.
    Now if he dumped the clutch causing the front wheel to raise to eye level that would be a different story.

Do I think the unmarked cop was wrong to draw, yes.

I know the bike rider either just got the bike that day or WAS NOT trying to evade.
    I just sold a sport bike and no cop car can keep up with a sport bike rider with half a brain. My bike was even faster then Motorola (can't call in what ya don't see). Don't think a helicopter is too easy to run from though..

Quote Originally Posted by OngngFreedom View Post
    The officer was upset (understandably) but overreacted, did not follow protocol, did wrong. Now he's overreacted again and has guaranteed a lawsuit.

This may not end well for him.
    Guaranteed a lawsuit? For what?
    He never pointed his weapon at the guy and their "confrontation" lasted about 10 seconds. He told the guy to get off the bike and never put his hands on him. I think to sue you have to show that you were damaged some how....how was this bike rider damaged?
    Rule number 1...don't run from the cops......

Quote Originally Posted by canav844 View Post
    And that he was wearing a badge that was clearly visible as he exited that car.
    I'm on my iPhone and couldn't make out a badge.
    Also, just for argument sake, you can buy custom badges from several merchants online.
    "I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders!" -- Ted Nugent
    "Not everyone can be born with common sense, some are born liberals." -- MM218

philological damages might be possible.
    Angry white police officer
    step one look scared,
    step two scream racism, sexism, bigotry, basically anything that works.
    step three talk nonstop about the emotional trauma you when through.

Anyone consider the reason the off duty officer had his gun drawn and at the low ready, (he never once pointed it at the guy) because he considered the possibility of the guy trying to run him down with the 900 lb rocket on wheels as he was stepping directly in front of him when exiting his car?

How many people on this forum alone, in this thread and the other thread running has already said, "I'd have just dumped the clutch and plow right over him."

Ever think the cop was anticipating that and was ready to side step out of the way and defend himself with his pistol.

We also don't know if the marked patrol car with his emergency lights on directly behind him had already issued a command via his PA system.

I'm just sayin... I wouldn't bet the bike rider would win any lawsuits.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links