SC sheriff arrested on drug charges

This is a discussion on SC sheriff arrested on drug charges within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; (To the Mods; if this post is out of place, please delete...) Unbelievable... FYI, Lee County is one of the smallest (geographically and population) counties ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SC sheriff arrested on drug charges

SC sheriff arrested on drug charges

(To the Mods; if this post is out of place, please delete...)

Unbelievable... FYI, Lee County is one of the smallest (geographically and population) counties in SC along with one of the poorest. Such a sad situation.

From The State, Columbia, SC; 5/1/10

COLUMBIA, S.C. -- A South Carolina sheriff was among seven people arrested Saturday and charged with drug distribution, federal authorities said.

Lee County Sheriff E.J. Melvin, 47, was arrested and charged with drug conspiracy, according to Acting U.S. Attorney Kevin McDonald.

Melvin and the others are charged with conspiracy to possess with intent to distribute five kilograms or more of powder cocaine and 50 grams or more of crack cocaine, authorities said.

Melvin has been sheriff since 2001. McDonald says the drug conspiracy has been ongoing since 2006.

Read more: S.C. sheriff arrested on federal drug charge - Crime & Courts - TheState.com
    The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved

2. Remove Ads

That is sad news. It's always a shame to hear about someone in LE gone bad.

On a side note, I wasn't sure where the county is. I guess the only time I'm there is if I'm passing through while headed east toward I-95.
    NRA member
    GrassRoots GunRights SC member
    Walther PPS .40 / KelTec P3AT

Quote Originally Posted by Jumper2501 View Post
    On a side note, I wasn't sure where the county is. I guess the only time I'm there is if I'm passing through while headed east toward I-95.
    Lee County straddles I-20 at Exit 116 near Bishopville. Blink and you'll miss it. It's surrounded by Sumter, Kershaw, Darlington, and Florence county.
    The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved

It is a really sad situation when a LEO becomes a dope peddler. Hope they put the sheriff in a three man cell with Bubba and Leroy from the Outlaws motorcycle gang.

VIP Member
    Not in anyway to excuse the sheriff, this is what tends to happen when we refuse to pay decent salaries to our public servants and bash them all the time as well.

Lets be truthful with ourselves. A large part of the initial incentive for folks to join in organized criminal activity is to make some quick extra cash. Once in, it is hard to get out.

A functioning economy producing strong tax receipts and application of same to where the money should go instead of garbage projects (states do pork projects every bit as much as the feds) would help. Better wage, hour, and labor law for ordinary working people would help too.

Keeping public servants honest requires something more than a minimum salary. It also requires a culture of respect for government and for its employees. If you get underpaid and dumped on all the time, you have few incentives to stay within the lines. You also have a large incentive to look elsewhere for additional income.

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    That is a BS answer, if he wanted more money taking on a second LEGAL job would be the way to do it. Lots of people have hard jobs and low pay and don't sell drugs. More excuses for criminals "it's not their fault"...

BALONEY!!!!!!!!!!
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

VIP Member
    Sad!

But nothing new.

When I was a kid the second best moonshine in the county (after my grandfather's) was sold by the Sheriff.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Not in anyway to excuse the sheriff, this is what tends to happen when we refuse to pay decent salaries to our public servants and bash them all the time as well.

Lets be truthful with ourselves. A large part of the initial incentive for folks to join in organized criminal activity is to make some quick extra cash. Once in, it is hard to get out.

A functioning economy producing strong tax receipts and application of same to where the money should go instead of garbage projects (states do pork projects every bit as much as the feds) would help. Better wage, hour, and labor law for ordinary working people would help too.

Keeping public servants honest requires something more than a minimum salary. It also requires a culture of respect for government and for its employees. If you get underpaid and dumped on all the time, you have few incentives to stay within the lines. You also have a large incentive to look elsewhere for additional income.
    It seems to me that you think that everyone on minimum wage or welfare should push drugs.

Character is character no matter how much money you make.
    Member:USCCA, NRA, GOA, WVCDL
    U.S. Navy vet 1955-1959, USS Dashiell DD 659. Glock 19, Ruger LCP, Ruger .357 Mag.
    When you are at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.

VIP Member

re: Free American

Quote Originally Posted by Free American View Post
    That is a BS answer, if he wanted more money taking on a second LEGAL job would be the way to do it. Lots of people have hard jobs and low pay and don't sell drugs. More excuses for criminals "it's not their fault"...

BALONEY!!!!!!!!!!
    You misconstrue the point of what I wrote. That basically is we need to pay our public servants properly.

It does not surprise when some folks will cut corners, but making a profession out of law enforcement and paying a professional wage,
    is the way to keep corruption to a minimum.

People are only as ethical as their economics allow.

BALONEY!!!!!!!!!!

+1

A low salary is a pitiful excuse for peddling dope.

VIP Member

Thumbs down Only as ethical as their economics allow?

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post

People are only as ethical as their economics allow.
    Normally we don't disagree, much.

But we part company here, in large degree.

In the case of real needs, I might agree. But, for the most part, we are a country of wants, not needs.

IMHO, it's greed (not need) that drives most unethical activity.

I'd be willing to bet that the sheriff's salary would meet his needs. And I'd also bet it was greed/wants that drove his unethical behavior.

IMHO, many people are only as ethical as their fear of/ lack of willingness to do the time allows/requires.

OTOH, there are some who would die first -- on many unethical behaviors.
    Last edited by DaveH; May 2nd, 2010 at 08:38 PM.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member

re: IWLAFART- I didn't say should

Quote Originally Posted by IWLAFART View Post
    It seems to me that you think that everyone on minimum wage or welfare should push drugs.

Character is character no matter how much money you make.
    I didn't say should. That is your word. What I said is that when you don't pay public servants adequately, don't support them with equipment and training, then don't be surprised if some cut corners or give in to temptation.

I'm trying hard here to give a thumb up to the idea that we can't save tax dollars on the backs of of those who keep us safe. And when we do that, we get results we don't like. And, we shouldn't be surprised about that at all.

From what I understand, public sector and government jobs earn much more these days than private sector employees. One doesn't have to search very hard to find stories of LEOs making a lot of money, lots of overtime, great benefits, rock-solid pensions, etc. As a sheriff, I'm thinking he made a pretty good salary. Though I'm sure the starting salaries in many locations are pretty low, your initial response to this story was pretty weak.

In 1969 when I joined the Delaware State Police, I made $6,800.00 a year, with no overtime. I didn't sell drugs as a side business.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Northern Piedmont of Va. & Middle of Nowhere, W.Va.
    We really don't know anything at this point other than the fact that the United States has charged him with a crime. He may have been operating a sting of his own without involving the feds (which I understand the feds think is improper). He may have been causing political problems for the local U.S. Attorney or DEA office. I think it would be wise to wait until some evidence has been produced before jumping to conclusions about his possible guilt.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links