Matthew McCabe

This is a discussion on Matthew McCabe within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Please take a few seconds out of your busy day to say a quick prayer for Matt McCabe. Matt is the SEAL who is accused, ...

Thread: Matthew McCabe

Matthew McCabe

Please take a few seconds out of your busy day to say a quick prayer for Matt McCabe. Matt is the SEAL who is accused, and will be on trial for allegedly hitting a known terrorist. Matt is from my neck of the woods so this hits kinda close to home. His colleagues were found not guilty, and current wisdom says that the same will happen to Matt. However, considering the the current conditions in the puzzle palace, this is not a slam dunk. So, if you could take just a few seconds to think about or say a short prayer for Matt, it would be most appreciated.

God Bless all of our Troops.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

2. Remove Ads

Prayers sent! He will make out ok. I believe that the military court has come to their senses and are as disgusted with these charges as the rest of us are. Their commanding officer who filed the charges in the first place needs to be removed from his command position as after this decision he has demonstrated that he does not have a real grasp of the situation.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

This whole thing just disgusts me. I cant believe that they even questioned these guys. All because some POS accused them, have they ever heard the term
    "consider the source"

This is a case of Political Correctness gone wild.

I think these SEALs should get medals for the work they do.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Divebum, next time you see him, shake his hand and let him know that a whole lot of people he will never meet thank him for his service and sacrifice. I am proud of these men for fighting this.

All three of those heroes have been in my thoughts and prayers.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Quote Originally Posted by stevem174 View Post
    Divebum, next time you see him, shake his hand and let him know that a whole lot of people he will never meet thank him for his service and sacrifice. I am proud of these men for fighting this.

All three of those heroes have been in my thoughts and prayers.
    +1...It all goes back to PC stuff and Rules of Engagement that prevent a Warrior from performing his mission by making sure his hands are tied behind his back. I think the SEALS fooled em this time. Good job guys!
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Added to my DC list...I'm sure he'll escape the insanity of his superiors.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member

Not guilty

SEAL found not guilty of assaulting suspected Iraqi terrorist | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

SEAL found assaulting suspected Iraqi terrorist

By Kate Wiltrout
    The Virginian-Pilot
    © May 6, 2010
    NORFOLK

A military jury has found a Navy SEAL not guilty of abusing a suspected Iraqi terrorist in U.S. custody in Iraq.

Lawyers concluded their arguments this afternoon in the case of Petty Officer 2nd Class Matthew McCabe. He was charged with assault for allegedly punching Ahmed Hashim Abed, the suspected mastermind of an attack in Fallujah that killed four Blackwater contractors.

Two other SEALs have been cleared of wrongdoing. The prosecutions of the three have drawn widespread protests.

The lead prosecutor in the case, Lt. Cmdr. Jason Grover, urged the jury, “Don’t be blinded by medals or what someone’s got on his chest. Everyone is equally accountable to do the right thing.”

Defense attorney Haytham Faraj argued that for McCabe to be guilty, everyone who testified in the case – with the exception of Abed and the Navy master-at-arms who was guarding him – would have to be lying.

“They’re professionals,” he said of the SEALs who backed McCabe. “They belong to your tribe and they do things right.”

The seven-member jury consisted of three enlisted sailors and four officers. For McCabe to have been convicted, at least five would have had to found him guilty.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    Outstanding . Thanks for the update.

VIP Member

More coverage

SEAL found not guilty of assaulting suspected Iraqi terrorist | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

SEAL found not guilty of assaulting suspected Iraqi terrorist

By Kate Wiltrout
    The Virginian-Pilot
    © May 7, 2010
    NORFOLK

Sometime next week, Petty Officer 2nd Class Matthew McCabe will fly west and rejoin a group of his fellow SEALs training in Nevada’s harsh high desert.

For the first time in more than seven months, he will throw himself into the job that he loves. Instead of reliving what happened one night in Iraq last September, hours after he took an alleged Iraqi terrorist into custody, the 24-year-old commando will concentrate on preparing for future missions.

McCabe’s future with the SEALs was in doubt before a jury acquitted him Thursday on charges of assaulting a detainee and lying about it to investigators.

Last month, two other members of SEAL Team 10, Petty Officer 1st Class Julio Huertas and Petty Officer 2nd Class Jonathan Keefe, were acquitted on related charges at courts-martial in Iraq.

“We’re all going to move on with our careers,” McCabe said after the verdict. “It’s all over and done with. ...I can’t wait to actually focus on work.”

The cases against the three SEALs were based on statements from Ahmed Hashim Abed and Petty Officer 3rd Class Kevin Demartino, the Navy master-at-arms charged with guarding him for a few hours after his capture.

Abed didn’t appear in person, but his testimony was recorded and played back for the seven-member jury. He was far from a sympathetic character. In addition to his alleged involvement in the murder of four Blackwater contractors in Fallujah in 2004, McCabe’s lawyers said Iraqis knew Abed as “The Finisher.” He was reputed to have the decapitated bodies of his victims delivered to their families’ doorsteps.

Defense lawyers continually reminded jurors of the alleged victim’s background.

“We’re here because a mass murderer, a vile person cloaked in a human body, said 'I was beaten,’” Haytham Faraj told the jury during closing arguments.

Questions about Abed’s treatment arose shortly before he was transferred to Iraqi custody, when the SEAL detachment commander noticed blood on Abed’s clothes.

He called a meeting of all the personnel who’d been in contact with Abed to ask them what happened. A day or two later, Demartino came forward, saying he’d seen McCabe punch Abed while Huertas and Keefe watched.

The matter was investigated, and made its way up the chain of command. When the three SEALs chose not to have the matter handled administratively, Army Maj. Gen. C.T. Cleveland, head of Special Operations Command Central, decided to proceed to courts-martial.

His decision sparked an outcry: more than 100,000 people signed online petitions asking the charges be dropped. Politicians said they were outraged; commentators seized on the cases as evidence of political correctness run amok in the military.

Many people pointed out that terrorist training manuals instruct followers to allege mistreatment, and McCabe’s lawyers entered excerpts from the so-called Manchester Manual into evidence to make that point.

Just as crucial to the case were a half-dozen witnesses, many of them SEALs, who contradicted Demartino’s version of events.

Faraj and fellow defense attorney Neal Puckett said the acquittals prove the military justice system works. And though in the past, both have been critical of Cleveland’s decision to court-martial the SEALs, the attorneys were more philosophical after the victory.

“No terrorist organization can claim that the American military didn’t press forward and really investigate,” Faraj said.

Added Puckett: “Maybe the specter of Abu Ghraib is dissipating a little bit.”

Cleveland defended his handling of the matter, saying detainee abuse has “strategic implications” for the military and national security.

“Despite the opinion of some of those who preferred that these charges not proceed, I allowed these charges to go forward because I truly believe that the best process known for uncovering the truth, when the facts are contested, is that process which is found in our adversarial justice system,” Cleveland said in a statement.

“I will continue to take allegations such as this seriously. ... I look forward to Huertas, McCabe, and Keefe returning to their team and continuing their duties in defending our great nation.”

Kate Wiltrout, (757) 446-2629, kate.wiltrout@pilotonline.com
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Senior Moderator
    It is only natural to assume that if someone is taken against their will to a place that they dont want to go that some physical battering will take place and some blood will be spilled.

Mr. Terrorist should be glad that he was not killed on the spot. It is a specialty that SEALs are very good at.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Divebum47 View Post
    Please take a few seconds out of your busy day to say a quick prayer for Matt McCabe. Matt is the SEAL who is accused, and will be on trial for allegedly hitting a known terrorist. Matt is from my neck of the woods so this hits kinda close to home. His colleagues were found not guilty, and current wisdom says that the same will happen to Matt. However, considering the the current conditions in the puzzle palace, this is not a slam dunk. So, if you could take just a few seconds to think about or say a short prayer for Matt, it would be most appreciated.

God Bless all of our Troops.
    Trust me with all my heart and soul my personal prayers are sent. Further more my fellow worshipers will do the same. I think those that are involved that accused three of Americas BEST should be brought up on Treason. These brave men did their job that our government trained them to do. I will stop there, but I really could go on. GOD BLESS AMERICA, AND OUR SOLDIERS..
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Excellent news!

Maybe the obama bunch will get the message that the terrorists are the enemy and our US Forces are there to protect us.

God bless our Military and the USA!

Quote Originally Posted by ep1953 View Post
    Excellent news!

Maybe the obama bunch will get the message that the terrorists are the enemy and our US Forces are there to protect us.

God bless our Military and the USA!
    we can only hope. but i doubt it.

Links