A question for Marines

This is a discussion on A question for Marines within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello everybody, I don't post often, I usually just lurk. However, as there are so many in the military on this forum, I thought this ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A question for Marines

A question for Marines

Hello everybody, I don't post often, I usually just lurk. However, as there are so many in the military on this forum, I thought this was the right place to ask.

So here's the question: do Marine Corps MP's see combat? I've been talking with a recruiter, and he claims they do not. I'm not saying he's lying, I just thought I'd double check. I few of my friends from high school have enlisted over the past few years, all in the Army, and they have all warned me recruiters are not always honest.

Thank you to anybody who answers, and I'd like to make clear that I am absolutley not challenging the integrity of the Marine Corps, or the integrity of the Sergeant I've been speaking with. I just don't want to make an uninformed decision.

Thanks again.
    "If it ain't a mess, it'll do till the mess gets here."
    -Sheriff Bell, No Country for Old Men

2. Remove Ads

Isn't their motto "A rifleman first" or something like that?

Every Marine is a rifleman. There are no guarantee's you won't ever see combat action.

A Military Policeman would more likely to see combat action before a mess hall Marine or an administrative Marine but there are no guarantee's because we are all riflemen. The Marine Corps is proud of that. So much so, that we are the only branch who wears our rifle qualification as part of our uniform.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    Yes they do and often times are embedded with whatever forces they are fighting with for training purposes. Now as a stand alone unit they may not go out on combat operations but in the above mentioned or in support of a combat unit yes they will.

I'm not a marine but I am an MP in the U.S. Army with a few combat deployments. I can tell you from my experience that any service member no matter the branch or MOS (job) has the potential to do many different types of missions/work. Some people enlist with the airforce or the navy thinking they wont end up in the sand box. I worked with alot of both over there. Some deployed, some volunteered. It boils down to the needs of the military. We all work for Uncle Sam in the end.

It also depends on what YOU consider to be combat. Any FOB (forward operating base) or camp can be mortared/rocketed at anytime. Even if you never break wire or kick in some doors you still have the potential of being "shot at". Some areas and missions are worse than others.

I don't know if the Marines are the same, but Army MP's cover two missions (usually). One is convoy security which will put you out on the road alot, which is higher risk than sitting on the FOB. And detainee operations which is holding people that have been deemed a threat to coalition forces in a prison. A smaller mission that I have heard happening over there is training the Iraqi police on how to do just that, police their own damn cities and squash the bad guys.

My first take with this recruiter telling you that MP's dont see combat is a HUGE red flag. Marines are riflemen first, they all are soldiers of infantry, to me that means the cooks and the guys working in finance can be kickin in doors just the same. It might not be likely, but it can happen. And it cant go without being said, Military Police is a combat arms MOS. Just as heavily armed as infantry.

The best advice anyone can get when dealing with recruiters is simply this: ANYTHING THEY SAY YOURE GOING TO GET, MAKE SURE ITS IN WRITING!!!

Can't tell you how many people I've met over my 6 years in that got screwed out of money, schools, promotions, and jobs they thought they were promised because they didnt get it in writing.

When its all said and done, the Military is a job. You will get out what you put in. I have overwhelming pride knowing that I rose my right hand when my country was in need. Its a profession you can hang your hat on. It hasnt all been sunchine and roses, but there has equally been great experiences and some lifelong friends made along the way. Good luck with your decision and Godspeed.
    "Like a muddied spring or polluted well is a righteous man who gives way to the wicked." -Proverbs 25:26

"If the thief is found breaking in, and he is struck so that he dies, there shall be no guilt for his bloodshed..." -Exodus 22:2

Marine MP's DO see combat ... They "assist" the Navy in securing their "boats" and naval bases as well as pull embassy duty among other things ...
    I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

John Bernard Books

Quote Originally Posted by Chaddae52 View Post
    I'm not a marine but I am an MP in the U.S. Army with a few combat deployments. I can tell you from my experience that any service member no matter the branch or MOS (job) has the potential to do many different types of missions/work. Some people enlist with the airforce or the navy thinking they wont end up in the sand box. I worked with alot of both over there. Some deployed, some volunteered. It boils down to the needs of the military. We all work for Uncle Sam in the end.
    Same. Not in the Marines, but I am in the Army. I can tell you first hand, that I am not in the Infantry, but all of my deployed time has been spent doing infantry-type missions. When I was in Afghanistan (03-04) we were so short on people, that every Soldier in our unit went out on patrol, including our supply guys, maintenance guys, chemical guys, etc. When I was in Iraq, I trained an Iraqi Infantry Battalion, and only 3 of the 11 people (me and our two artillery guys) were from any combat arms MOS. We were right with them on every operation they conducted. And, in the Army, the MPs do a significant amount of combat patrolling.
    I can only assume that the Marines, being an even smaller force, make use of their personnel in a similar manner. After all, they are the "everyman's a rifleman" branch.

The recruiter may or may not be intentionally trying to deceive you. He may just be an older NCO who's out of touch with how business is actually done over there. Then again, you might be the one who makes his quota.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

Administrator
    Yes, they do see combat.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Thanks guys. I hope I didn't come across as ignorant. I'm actually not trying to find an MOS that avoids combat. I'm just trying to get the right information. It seems my friend's opinion of recruiters is spot one. This makes talking to them difficult for me...I don't know if I should trust what they're saying.

Thanks again for the input guys, I find people on this forum always spend more time trying to answer a question than just insult the person asking it. Thanks.
    "If it ain't a mess, it'll do till the mess gets here."
    -Sheriff Bell, No Country for Old Men

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by magusjinx View Post
    Marine MP's DO see combat ... They "assist" the Navy in securing their "boats" and naval bases as well as pull embassy duty among other things ...
    Not currently...

Marines no longer provide security for navel vessels or stations and have not for some time. The Marine Security Guards (MOS 8156) that do the Embassy security are a different MOS than standard MPs (MOS 58--) Military Police and Corrections.

Yes MPs can see combat, they are deployed in active theaters manning check points, handling prisoners, K9 work etc.

Some Marine's (FAST) are still tasked with high value Naval Security, but not at the basic MP level.

ETA--While there is still Marine guard duty on ship, it's primarily to guard our own gear etc, not quite what is once was when ship security is concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Impetus View Post
    Thanks guys. I hope I didn't come across as ignorant. I'm actually not trying to find an MOS that avoids combat. I'm just trying to get the right information. It seems my friend's opinion of recruiters is spot one. This makes talking to them difficult for me...I don't know if I should trust what they're saying.

Thanks again for the input guys, I find people on this forum always spend more time trying to answer a question than just insult the person asking it. Thanks.
    Something I would recommend if it's an option for you:
    If you know any older Marines (active or retired) that you trust, it's not a bad idea to have one go with you to the recruiter, or at least look over whatever the recruiter is showing you before you sign anything. This can help keep you from getting lost in the jargon, and also helps "keep an honest man honest" as the recruiter will be less likely to attempt to dazzle you with BS.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    I'm not sure what the concern is. You're considering joining the elite military fighting force of this great country, fighting wars on at least two fronts, and you're concerned about seeing combat.

No matter what you do, you have a decent chance of deploying. Depending on what you consider "seeing combat", may be another story. You're probably going to deploy, but no matter what job you have in the Marines, that's what you'll do when you're deployed.

Nate
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jarhead79 View Post
    {SNIP}...no matter what job you have in the Marines, that's what you'll do when you're deployed.

Nate
    Not entirely, plenty of Marines from my former reserve unit (Communications Company) were deployed to the Middle East as MPs. Not to mention that even when I was active duty as a ground radio tech I was also a radio operator, vehicle crewman, scout, generator technician, optics technician etc. Oh, and my favorite of all, dishwasher while on ship.

Improvise, adapt, and overcome!

My advise to you...

is to zero in on a career field that you feel will be valuable/marketable after your departure. Research that career field as it applies to that particular branch of service and stick to your plans when you deal with a recruiter.

Do your job well, stay out of trouble and use every resource available to "Be all that you can be".

If called to serve in combat, do your job well, stay out of trouble and come home.

Take what you've learned out to civilian life and hopefully earn a descent living with those skills and live a happy life.

Know that you served your country in the most honorable way and are part of a fraternity that did the same. Good luck.
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

Administrator

Recruiters won't outright lie. But they will paint the picture as pretty as possible. Back when I shopping for the branch I wanted to join, this is what turned me off on the Marines. They were selling the Marines way to hard, and came off as snake oil salesmen. I wasn't sucked into all the hoopla, kept a level head and looked beyond my term of service. Looking back on it, Marines wouldnt have been a bad way to go, their salesmen just turned me off.
    That is about the best advice I can give ya.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links