On a more SERIOUS NOTE....Another attack by the end of this year?

On a more SERIOUS NOTE....Another attack by the end of this year?

This is a discussion on On a more SERIOUS NOTE....Another attack by the end of this year? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; ExSoldier's note: This one came from CBS (see B.S.?) news. In all honesty I think it's inevitable and based on the Madrid timing, it wouldn't ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On a more SERIOUS NOTE....Another attack by the end of this year?

Exclamation On a more SERIOUS NOTE....Another attack by the end of this year?

ExSoldier's note:
    This one came from CBS (see B.S.?) news. In all honesty I think it's inevitable and based on the Madrid timing, it wouldn't surprise me to see it occur just before the Nov election cycle.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/...n1683852.shtml

U.S. officials believe Canadian arrests over the weekend and three recent domestic incidents in the United States are evidence the U.S. will soon be hit again by a terrorist attack. Privately, they say, they'd be surprised if it didn't come by the end of the year, reports CBS News correspondent Jim Stewart in a CBS News exclusive.

The first of the domestic incidents, all of which drew little attention at the time, began with the holdup of a string of Torrance, Calif. gas stations last summer. Muslim converts who bonded together in prison planned to use the robberies to finance attacks on 20 Army recruiting stations.

Los Angeles Police Chief William Bratton admits they stumbled on the plot during a search.

"Make no mistake about it," Bratton said. "We dodged a bullet here — perhaps many bullets."

Police in Toledo, Ohio, busted another cell in February. This one consisted of three men training to attack U.S. forces overseas. Once again, luck played a role. When they tried to enlist someone in their mosque to help, he turned them in.

"These individuals are often hiding in plain sight in cities like Torrance and now Toledo," says John Pistole, a FBI deputy director.

Two months ago, a pair of Atlanta men, one a Georgia Tech engineering student, were arrested not long after communicating by e-mail with two of the suspects arrested in Canada over the weekend. The Atlanta men are charged with videotaping domestic targets, including the U.S. Capitol and the World Bank.

Analysts now conclude similarities between all the cases were dramatic: All were self-financed, self-motivated, and in each case the men were seeking out others to join their cell.

In short, Osama bin Laden didn't pay for these plots, recruit for them or even know of them. They were all totally homegrown — even amateurish. But if four, including the one in Canada, have been uncovered in just 11 months, officials fear there are inevitably other plots that have not been and are maturing even now. (emphasis by ExSoldier)

The next attack here, officials predict, will bear no resemblance to Sept. 11. The casualty toll will not be that high, the target probably not that big. We may not even recognize it for what it is at first, they say. But it's coming — of that they seem certain.

ExSoldier: I would disagree. If the next attack doesn't at least equal 911, the tango's will lose face. It will make 911 look like a fluke...a sucker punch on a sleeping giant that can't be replicated with said giant fully awake and prepared.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Assistant Administrator
    Jim - I have been ''expecting'', potentially - ''something'' to occur any time at all. I do not actually think it need be huge scale as you do - quite simply anything that is a ''message'', meaning ''we are here and can do this'' - anything in fact, will be more than enough to scare folks rigid. It would exemplify the vulnerability factor.

I mean what is terrorism? - leaving asdie the acts themselves it is a means to keep people afraid and wondering, which all leads to restrictions on living because of security measures etc - so they are still in a sense ''winning''.

Remembering as I do - flying in to Dulles airport on Monday Sept 10 2001 - normal day - drove home and turned in. Next morning TV over first coffee - and well - we all know what went down. That transition from normalcy one day to unmitigated hell the next - well - that is what I feel daily. Always a possibility - and same in UK and some Euro countries too.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    NBC also reported information to this effect on Today.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    I'm not sure about "soon" but it's going to happen.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Unfortunately, I believe we will. Right before the elections to produce the most "dramatic result" for the criminals.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

I'm with Chris on this one. I have the feeling that it won't be an attack as large as 9-11. It doesn't have to be. All they have to do is engineer an attack large enough to say, "Hi, we're still here. All of your work and attempts to get rid of us and we're still here. In your own homeland."
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

It will happen, when it does I just hope it isn't used as a justification to further infringe on ordinary people's rights, liberties, and freedom.

Lead Moderator
    May sound strange, but I was surprised the 9/11 attack took so long in coming. I was surprised at the magnitude of the attack though.

Another attack? I don't think there should be any doubt. The question is how imaginative it will be. Bet it won't be anything like 9/11 in form.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by MarkM
    It will happen, when it does I just hope it isn't used as a justification to further infringe on ordinary people's rights, liberties, and freedom.
    You mean like after the Oklahoma BOMBING and Clinton used it to call for a ban on GUNS instead of fertilizer?
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Personally I would expect several things.
    A preemptive type strike on a military target, say perhaps a suicide bomber in the Chesapeke tunnel, good shock value and tie up the Navy a bit.

Several mass public shooting attacks as per Clancy's Teeth of the tiger (He has been on target with some of his things regarding China, Iran and flying planes into the White House)

And what of something really simple? Maybe a gas powered saw, rented and cutting out small sections of track on rail lines. This would cause passanger fatalitie and who knows what else with some of the chemicals carried over our rail system.

In my opinion, The Government cannot stop these types of things. What is needed is an armed, ready, willing and able civilian population.

Let's not profile Arabs, I'm certain that these extremeists have plenty of contacts within the drug trade as well as Anglo or European subversive groups.

Our guns are fine but let's also keep our cell phones charged so we can report potential tragedies before they happen.

The big thing is and most CCW people are in this frame of mind already, Be Vigilant.

The canadian bunch looked anything BUT Arabic. I suspect there are PLENTY of MS13 latino, or Oriental mafia type, even skinheads that look like McVey, (though not that stupid looking), who are ready to step in for their cause.

It will be their actions before their "events" that we must be on guard for. If we are able to interdict, great, though it could be one of those fatal interruptions in your day.

B.
    Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.-- Yoda
    G4W is now, be "Vigilant Always" - Bruce, (vet)USASA, NRA, IDPA, USPSA, IHMSA, & USCCA!

Senior Moderator
    If you really wanted to create havoc with a small group and limited resources, the attacks Clancy wrote about would be very effective.

But for the elections, one could attack a few east coast polling places as they opened (drive by shootings, IED, etc). The news would spread fast, and a lot of people would avoid the polls, making a big mess of things.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier
    ExSoldier: I would disagree. If the next attack doesn't at least equal 911, the tango's will lose face. It will make 911 look like a fluke...a sucker punch on a sleeping giant that can't be replicated with said giant fully awake and prepared.
    Agreed. It may be completely professional prejudice, but I see the destrucion of one or more major medical centers, followed with community center(schools/malls/etc..) attacks. An extremely "cost-effective" way to pile the bodies high and deep......

Quote Originally Posted by .45acp
    Personally I would expect several things.
    A preemptive type strike on a military target, say perhaps a suicide bomber in the Chesapeke tunnel, good shock value and tie up the Navy a bit.

Several mass public shooting attacks as per Clancy's Teeth of the tiger (He has been on target with some of his things regarding China, Iran and flying planes into the White House)

And what of something really simple?
    I hadn't even THOUGHT of that thing about the railways! If I were you, I'd delete that so as not to give any casual surfers any ideas....

I also am POSITIVE that the mall shooting is going to be viable and widespread. That's why I am careful to always carry with a spare mag and in a caliber suitable for serious business. No mousegun mentality (summertime) allowed. As certain as I am that it is going to happen I'm equally certain that if it happens in a shall issue state there is an excellent chance a lawfully armed citizen will shut it down.

Once the tango's attack, the first targets will be uniformed cops and security (as in the novel) then the innocent. Once they realize there are other players in THEIR "game" it may not stop them from completing the mission, but I'll bet it distracts them long enough for the cavalry to arrive.

However, I don't fancy that an armed citizen is going to go all "Commando" and ONLY hit the bad guys ALL the time. There may be collateral damage to civilians. We need to be aware of that and have arguments ready to go.

Also, it will probably happen in a situation where the property owner forbids carry to start with so there may be a "law breaker" image along with the "Rambo/cowboy" crap the press will spit out. That's the case ALL over South Florida. Here though, the law is on our side. The ordinance reads:

No Concealed Weapons are allowed on this property. Even with a permit. IF you are detected carrying a concealed weapon, you MAY be asked to leave the premises. IF you return and are AGAIN detected...you MAY be arrested for "Trespass After Warning" a misdemeanor.

So it's a POLICY and not a law that is broken.

Hey, I'll break anybody's damn POLICY, at least once!

I to agree its a matter of time.
    with all that has happenned abroad it is really amazing it took this long to happen her. unfortunate but true. how are we so "special" to have lasted as long as we have. not to say it hasnt happened but look at ireland. the religious issues over there i too would call terrorism.
    a means of fear and control.
    IED's are the cowards way to go about it and a definite fear factor.
    too easy as people at malls (at xmas time) are too oblivious to even notice or mention something out of place. they wanna get in and out.
    i doubt the "shall issue" states vs. non issue states would be a factor to terorists. most likely, by the time the 'event' occurs anybody with a weapon would be taken out by the 'event' or too far away to react effectively. in theory. all depends on the type of event i guess. IED- nobody to shoot.
    unfortunately i believe we'll find out there idea the hard way.
    at least they gov't is pro-active in finding the cells...thats a good thing.
    and stereotyping a potential BG/terrorist isn't effective.

just my 2 cents but i agree to one extent or another with all previous posts
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links