Another hurtful case...

Another hurtful case...

This is a discussion on Another hurtful case... within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; not sad -- hurtful. Sad is reserved for the officers and families that deserve it, not "lies, obstruction of justice, abuse of trust, and failure ...

VIP Member

Thumbs down Another hurtful case...

not sad -- hurtful.

Sad is reserved for the officers and families that deserve it, not "lies, obstruction of justice, abuse of trust, and failure to take responsibility for his actions."

http://hamptonroads.com/node/552072

Ex-Beach officer sentenced in immigration fraud case

By Tim McGlone
    The Virginian-Pilot
    May 5, 2010
    NORFOLK

A former Virginia Beach police officer, called a "dirty cop" by prosecutors, was sentenced Tuesday to two years in federal prison after admitting his role in a massive marriage and immigration fraud case.

But Andrey Savelyev, 41, a Russian native who became a naturalized U.S. citizen, didn't go down without a fight.

"Your Honor, I could go on and on about what happened to my family and me for the last 10 months - the politics, the pressure, the threats," Savelyev told a judge. "I would like to ask you to consider not to take me away from my family."

U.S. District Judge Robert G. Doumar denied the request, but he did spare Savelyev an extra few months that federal prosecutors had asked for.

Savelyev admitted that he became involved in a fraudulent marriage between a Russian woman and a Navy sailor after the sailor tried to get out of the deal. Court records say that Savelyev, while on duty, flashed his badge to the sailor and threatened him with arrest if he did not stay in the marriage.

Prosecutors linked the case to a massive $40 million conspiracy involving immigration, marriage and employment fraud, tying Savel-yev directly to the group's now-convicted ring leader.

Savelyev also admitted previously to lying to the FBI and other authorities about his role in the fraud, but on Tuesday denied those lies.

"I did not lie to the FBI," he told the judge. "All my life I've been and still am a law- abiding citizen and for the last 10 years I was serving and protecting people's lives here and abroad."

Savelyev served on the Virginia Beach police force from 1999 until his arrest last year. He last served as a detective in the 3rd Precinct before resigning.

His court-appointed lawyers, Mark Del Duca and Lawrence H. Woodward Jr., did not respond to questions after the proceeding.

Last month, Savelyev tried to withdraw his earlier guilty plea, but Doumar denied the request. Then Del Duca tried to withdraw from the case, citing "a complete breakdown" in the attorney-client relationship. Doumar then appointed Woodward.

Doumar allowed Savelyev to remain free on bond and to self- report to the federal prison he will be assigned to on or before June 9. The judge said he had concerns about putting the former officer inside a local jail until he's assigned to a prison.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Joseph DePadilla had initially asked for a 2-1/2-year prison term, citing Savel-yev's lies, obstruction of justice, abuse of trust, and failure to take responsibility for his actions.

Doumar granted only part of the request, and sentenced the former office to the mid-range of federally recommended guidelines.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    The stakes are so high in immigration cases that there is lots of reason people resort to fraud such as marriage fraud.

Meanwhile, people who try to do it the right way often run into long delays, paperwork roadblocks, confusing and arbitrary regulations, and need to hire lawyers for things they should be able to do on their own.

No excuse for this ex LEO, and yes the situation is both sad and hurtful.

"Savelyev admitted that he became involved in a fraudulent marriage between a Russian woman and a Navy sailor after the sailor tried to get out of the deal. Court records say that Savelyev, while on duty, flashed his badge to the sailor and threatened him with arrest if he did not stay in the marriage."

I wonder what his interest in the case was that he flashed his badge for that purpose?

VIP Member

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I wonder what his interest in the case was that he flashed his badge for that purpose?
    I wondered the same thing.

"Deeply involved in the scheme/trade for some time but only proved in court in this incident"

vs.

"Got sucked in to one case on some personal level"

vs.

whatever

????

No excuse, in any case.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Links