Somali pirates hijack Russian oil tanker

This is a discussion on Somali pirates hijack Russian oil tanker within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Somali pirates attack Russian tanker: ship company | Reuters (Reuters) - A Russian shipping company said Somali pirates on Wednesday had attacked its oil tanker ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Somali pirates hijack Russian oil tanker

VIP Member

Thumbs down Somali pirates hijack Russian oil tanker

Somali pirates attack Russian tanker: ship company | Reuters

(Reuters) - A Russian shipping company said Somali pirates on Wednesday had attacked its oil tanker Moscow University in the Indian Ocean 350 miles off the coast of Yemen.

Somali pirates attack Russian tanker: ship company

"According to the Master a group of people armed with automatic weapons opened fire and tried to board the vessel using two speedboats," the Novorossiyk Shipping Company said on its website.

"The Master of Moscow University established contact with the Russian-flag warship Marshal Shaposhnikov which is currently proceeding to the vessel's position."

It was not immediately clear whether the hijacking had been successful.

Somali pirates hijack Russian oil tanker: EU navy | Reuters

(Somali pirates hijack Russian oil tanker: EU navy

Reuters) - Somali pirates hijacked a Russian-owned Liberia-flagged oil tanker off the coast of east Africa on Wednesday with 23 Russian crew members on board.

"At the time of the attack, the Moscow University was heading east with a final destination of China," the European Union's EU Navfor naval force said in a statement. "The ship has a crew of 23, all from Russia, and all are believed to be well."

(Reporting by Jonathan Saul)
    Pirates hijack Russian tanker - The Irish Times - Wed, May 05, 2010

Pirates hijack Russian tanker

Somali pirates today hijacked a Russian-owned oil tanker off the coast of Yemen with 23 Russian crew and crude oil worth $52 million on board.

The Novorossiyk Shipping Company, which owns the Liberian-flagged MV Moscow University, said it was sailing from Sudan to China with a cargo of 86,000 tonnes of oil.

EU Navfor Commander Rear Admiral Jan Thornqvist confirmed the hijacking this morning.

"The crew members locked themselves in the radar room,” he told reporters in the Kenyan port city of Mombasa. “This ship has been hijacked."

Somali pirates continue to outwit an international fleet of warships in the busy shipping lane linking Europe with Asia, raking in tens of millions of dollars in ransoms.

Oil tankers are sailing further east into the Indian Ocean away from Somalia's coastline to avoid pirates who are striking deeper out at sea, shipping experts say.

Some shipping companies are re-routing vessels around the southern tip of Africa to avoid the Suez Canal and pirate-infested Gulf of Aden, adding weeks to passage times and substantial expense. But abuot 20,000 ships continue to run the gauntlet through the busy Gulf shipping lanes where warships operate convoys and have set up transit corridors.

An estimated 7 per cent of world oil consumption passes through the Gulf of Aden.

EU Navfor said the MV Moscow University had not registered with the Horn of Africa Maritime Security Centre for its transit through the Gulf of Aden.

The Russian shipping company said on its website that the Russian warship Marshal Shaposhnikov , which has been patrolling the dangerous waters, was on its way to the tanker.

The use of mother ships has enabled Somali pirates to strike as far as the Mozambique Channel and off India's coast in recent months, launching smaller boats known as skiffs against ships.

Pirate attacks around the world fell by 34 per cent in the first quarter of 2010 from a year ago due to the continued presence of foreign navies in the Gulf of Aden.

Globally in 2009, there were 406 reported incidents, in which 153 vessels were boarded and 49 were hijacked. There were 84 attempted attacks and 120 vessels were fired on. A total of 1,052 crew members were taken hostage. At least 68 crew members were injured and eight were killed.

In all, Somali pirates were held responsible for 217 acts of piracy in 2009, in which 47 vessels were hijacked and 867 crew members taken hostage.

Reuters
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

I'd bet that Spetznaz makes an appearance here....
    When seconds count, help is minutes away!

Isn't it time the international community comes up with a standard response?
    Something like remove the threat before it has a chance to board the vessel.

Quote Originally Posted by Obiwan View Post
    I'd bet that Spetznaz makes an appearance here....
    I can't wait to see their measured response featured on CNN.

- Charlie Wilson
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Rmac58 View Post
    Isn't it time the international community comes up with a standard response?
    Something like remove the threat before it has a chance to board the vessel.
    That would require a lot of assets spread over a huge amount of ocean in order to respond in time. Just isn't practical.

The Easter 2009 Navy SEAL response needs to be repeated a few more times - the modern equivalent of putting severed heads on fence posts. The pirates need to learn that although the spoils may be enriching, the risks are very, very high.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Screw the United Nations, arm all ships, blow their little asses out of the water.

unfortunetly, or not, the russian millitary is not what it use to be.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexHassin View Post

This is true, but when they do respond, they pay little or no attention to political correctness.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member

They may pay

Quote Originally Posted by AlexHassin View Post
    Wasn't there an episode last year where pirates hijacked a Ukrainian vessel carrying Russian tanks? I think the Captain was Russian.

I don't recall the ending, but the Russian response was far more subdued than what I had expected. What I had expected was the Russians would put a brutal stop to this stuff.

What happened, anyone recall? Did they pay ransom?

I think a well placed stinger missle would solve the problem or maybe a burst from a "Bushmaster". Hell, enen a 50 Browning would do the trick.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Economics dictate this sort of thing will continue to happen as long as the shipping companies allow it to happen. It is easily solved.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    Economics dictate this sort of thing will continue to happen as long as the shipping companies allow it to happen. It is easily solved.
    Arm the ships!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

advise all small vessels that there is a 1/2 mile clear zone around ships,you enter that clear zone and you get fired at
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Armed merchantman ships are not new, just not been in use for a long time.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

VIP Member

Russian navy retakes oil tanker

Russian navy retakes oil tanker from Somali pirates - The Globe and Mail

Russian navy retakes oil tanker from Somali pirates

Ludmila Danilova

Reuters
    Published on Thursday, May. 06, 2010 7:57AM EDT

.Russian forces freed a hijacked Russian oil tanker and rescued its crew in a helicopter-backed operation on Thursday that killed a Somali pirate, authorities said.

Russian investigators said 10 captured pirates, who seized the China-bound MV Moscow University in the Gulf of Aden, will be brought to Moscow for prosecution.

They hijacked the tanker on Wednesday with its 23-member crew and a cargo of crude oil worth $52-million (U.S.). Its rescue will please the Kremlin, which has been seeking to revive Russia’s naval muscle far from its shores despite limited resources.

“Measures are being undertaken to bring the detained pirates to Moscow,” the Investigative Committee of the Prosector General’s office said on official site sledcomproc.ru.

The European Union’s naval force said the Russian warship Marshal Shaposhnikov had sent in a helicopter that returned fire after being shot at by pirates.

Eventually the pirates surrendered and a boarding team from the Marshal Shaposhnikov arrived on board the tanker, an EU naval statement said.

A spokeswoman for the tanker’s owner, Novorossiysk Shipping Company, said the crew survived the 20-hour siege by hiding in a safe room that was inaccessible to the hijackers.

The Russian Investigative Committee statement said that one pirate was in fact killed and that some of the 10 who were captured were injured.

Russia’s Foreign Ministry said the tanker would most likely continue on its planned voyage to China.

Somali pirates are still able to seize ships despite the presence of an international fleet of warships in the busy shipping lanes linking Europe with Asia. Shipowners and insurers have paid out tens of millions of dollars in ransoms.

Somalia lacks the legal infrastructure to support trials, and captured pirates are often released because of disagreements over which country should try them.

Kenya and the Seychelles have prosecuted dozens of pirates handed over by foreign navies, but have both said they would have difficulties coping with the numbers if every seized pirate was placed in their hands.

Last month, the UN Security Council suggested creating special piracy courts to plug a gap in the world response to the costly attacks on merchant ships off Somalia’s coast.

Russia has been sending warships to patrol and protect Russian crews and cargoes off the Horn of Africa since the hijacking of the Ukrainian-owned cargo ship MV Faina in 2008 and the death of its Russian captain. The Faina was carrying a cargo of 33 battle tanks and other weapons.

Two Russian fishing vessels were hijacked in the early 2000s off Somalia, but Wednesday’s attack was the first on a large Russian-owned merchant vessel, said Andrew Mwangura, who runs the East African Seafarers’ Assistance Programme.

Some oil tankers are sailing around southern Africa and further east into the Indian Ocean away from Somalia’s coastline to avoid the Gulf of Aden and pirates who are striking deeper out at sea, shipping experts say.

May they have a speedy trial, w/ appropriate results.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links