Question for Texas LEO's

This is a discussion on Question for Texas LEO's within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Is there a possibility of working in law enforcement with a 10yr old class A misdemeanor?...

Thread: Question for Texas LEO's

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar

Question for Texas LEO's

Is there a possibility of working in law enforcement with a 10yr old class A misdemeanor?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Ernie, I do not know, but I did once know a pretty good young man in his mid twenties who was denied because he admitted to stealing a street sign as a teen.

Your best bet, keep asking not just here but the right people. Maybe you can get a call in to one of the small town chief's and directly ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Ernie, I do not know, but I did once know a pretty good young man in his mid twenties who was denied because he admitted to stealing a street sign as a teen.

Your best bet, keep asking not just here but the right people. Maybe you can get a call in to one of the small town chief's and directly ask.

My brother had a little mishap a few years back after he got out of the army. He was hoping to persue a career in LE but was told that his class A would not even allow him to take the test. I was just hoping that someone might know of a loophole.

VIP Member

For ErnieWillis

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    My brother had a little mishap a few years back after he got out of the army. He was hoping to persue a career in LE but was told that his class A would not even allow him to take the test. I was just hoping that someone might know of a loophole.
    Is there any chance of getting it expunged?

I guess it is a bit harder when things have happened in your twenties than when they happen as a teen.

I'm a big believer in "never give up," and even if the odds seem long, your brother should keep making inquiries and looking for a way to do what he wants in life.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Is there any chance of getting it expunged?

I guess it is a bit harder when things have happened in your twenties than when they happen as a teen.

I'm a big believer in "never give up," and even if the odds seem long, your brother should keep making inquiries and looking for a way to do what he wants in life.

Good luck.

Thanks Hopyard.
    I don't think he'd have a hard time getting it expunged but I am pretty sure it would still show up on LE data bases.
    Last edited by ErnieNWillis; May 12th, 2010 at 12:46 PM.

VIP Member
    Ernie, you can't get TCLEOSE license with a Class A Misd, which is required to be a peace officer

http://www.tcleose.state.tx.us/content/faq.cfm

An adult Class A Misdemeanor conviction or court-ordered community supervision (adjudicated or deferred) is a lifetime disqualification for licensure as a peace officer or jailer in the state of Texas

was that Class A a stumbling block for getting your CHL too ?
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

An adult Class A Misdemeanor conviction or court-ordered community supervision (adjudicated or deferred) is a lifetime disqualification for licensure as a peace officer or jailer in the state of Texas
    My wife used to be a TLETS expert, she told me that there is a chance that if it is a misdemeanor it could have been purged to inactive status, especially if you had no further run-ins with the law.........

She said the best thing to do is have an LEO (if you know one personally) take down your TDL information and run your name; if the conviction appears, chances are you cannot qualify unless you work to get it expunged.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    Ernie, you can't get TCLEOSE license with a Class A Misd, which is required to be a peace officer

TCLEOSE - Texas Commission on Law Enforcement Officers Standards and Education

was that Class A a stumbling block for getting your CHL too ?

Are there any states that will liscense someone with a class A that you know of?

VIP Member
    I got your PM

...and no, I don't know what other state's requirements may be
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Links