An Ohio cop is on trial for allegedly shooting and paralyzing a man.

This is a discussion on An Ohio cop is on trial for allegedly shooting and paralyzing a man. within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As reported today by ABCNews.com: Cop Involved in Shooting Caught on Tape An Ohio cop is on trial for allegedly shooting and paralyzing a man. ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

As reported today by ABCNews.com:

Cop Involved in Shooting Caught on Tape
    01:08 | 05/12/2010

Video report - Traffic stop shooting caught on tape - ABC News

Note: Why dude sped off as he id is a mystery.
    Why when he came to a stop he did not IMMEDIATELY kick down his bike stand knowing this was gonna be a hard stop is also a mystery.

Myself if stopped under such conditions, not that I'd be on a bike acting like this, I'd have kicked down the bike stand and tossed my hands to head IMMEDIATELY...to show I am being compliant and am not posing an active threat.

Now dude has the rest of his paralyzed life to think on that, regardless of the outcome of this trial.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I cannot fault the guy on the bike. The cop shot him for no reason. In the back, no less.

The guy on the bike gave no indication that he was a deadly threat to the LEO.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I saw the video as well.

I am torn as to my thoughts.

One, I am not a cop so I have no idea what went through the police officers mind at the moment.

I did notice that, just the instant before the officer fired, the biker looked forward and his right hand moved down and towards his pocket.

If I had been the biker, I would have had my hands above my head.

I I had been the cop I may not have fired so quickly. However, that could have been a mistake as well.

Not knowing the circumstances of this event other than what is shown, I would have to wait and hold judgment.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

It happened so fast. It didn't look like the cop even gave him a chance.

Maybe I missed something in the video, but it looked like the LEO just got out of the car and shot him.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Watch that right hand of the guy shot, before he was shot. I'm no LEO either but it sure would look like to me there was trouble brewing. They ran, the guy on the bike was very slow to obey the command. Two side to every story, did the shootee have a gun?
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Does anyone know weather the biker ultimately was carrying a weapon?

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    Not a fan of alot of force used by police, but I think the cop had a reasonable belief he reached for a weapon.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HampsterW View Post
    Does anyone know weather the biker ultimately was carrying a weapon?
    I believe the story says the biker was not armed. However, that is a factor not known to the cop at that moment.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

An Ohio cop is on trial for allegedly shooting and paralyzing a man
    allegedly?

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    I believe the story says the biker was not armed. However, that is a factor not known to the cop at that moment.
    Yeah Tally, I understand that as it looked like the biker was making a move. IMHO any time you stop after a cop perceives you as running from him you damn well better have your hands in the air or on the dash (as others have stated) because you can count on him approaching you with his weapon drawn.

Quote Originally Posted by bomber View Post
    allegedly?
    yeah, you like that PC crap? The cop shoots the guy on tape in front of god and country and they say allegedly...sheesh!

Sit in your chair with your arms relaxed and your hands resting in the same position as the biker and then turn and look behind you. Unless you are consciously trying to keep your hand in place, your arm can easily pull it back toward your pocket a little bit. That's all I saw when I watched the video.

Now, the cop was to the left of the video camera so I suppose he couldn't see the biker's hand, but come on the guy was in such a disadvantaged position. I didn't hear any "Show me your hands!" command on the video, and it's not like the guy was a suspected suicide bomber lunging for his detonator.

The biker's elbow didn't bend back, his shirt didn't come up, he didn't make a sudden jerky movement, and the cop had cover behind his car door with his gun drawn. It doesn't look like he gave the guy a fair chance.

Here's some info about the immediate aftermath:

"When McCloskey fell to the ground, his motorcycle fell on top of him. His friend in the car, who is not identified, showed up a few minutes later and saw McCloskey on the ground with his bike still on top of him and running. According to the complaint, he heard McCloskey say, "I'm shot. I can't move. Get this bike off of me."

Neither Officer White or Officer Doe assisted McCloskey in any way, the complaint said.

McCloskey's friend, fearing an explosion, told the officers they needed to turn off the motorcycle and move the bike off McCloskey, as his legs were being burned by the exhaust pipes. According to the complaint, one of the officers said: "He's your friend, you get the bike off him."
    Eventually, the motorcycle was turned off and removed from McCloskey's body. He sustained second or third-degree burns on his right leg and heel that might result in amputation of his right leg at some point, the complaint said."
    Here are a few links with more reporting on this story:
    Ottawa Hills officer in court for shooting unarmed man - WTOL.com - Toledo's News Leader |
    McCloskey takes the stand in Officer White's trial | 13abc.com
    McCloskey testifies in officer's trial

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    This one doesn't look to good for the officer to me.

i just cannot believe that anyone would defend this as a good shot.

Administrator
    This one can go either way; There have been cops hung out with better looking circumstances than this one, and I've seen acquittals with worse.

Taking into account the bikers actions and movement all by themselves, I think the LEO can came out OK on this. BTW, McCloskey did have a knife.

The thing that gets me is the LEO's actions after the shoot. Is that the actions of a man who was in fear? I don't think so. My gut is telling my this was an N/D, and now its the dance to justify the shoot.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links