Do nothing and get awarded - New "Courageous Restraint" Medal

This is a discussion on Do nothing and get awarded - New "Courageous Restraint" Medal within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Seems as if the powers that be want to award soldiers for "displaying restraint". What say you? I think this is stupid. New Medal Considered ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Do nothing and get awarded - New "Courageous Restraint" Medal

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar

Seems as if the powers that be want to award soldiers for "displaying restraint". What say you? I think this is stupid.

New Medal Considered For Military: The ‘Courageous Restraint’ Award

[ Via: AP ]

FORWARD OPERATING BASE RAMROD, Afghanistan – NATO commanders are weighing a new way to reduce civilian casualties in Afghanistan: recognizing soldiers for “courageous restraint” if they avoid using force that could endanger innocent lives.

The concept comes as the coalition continues to struggle with the problem of civilian casualties despite repeated warnings from the top NATO commander, Gen. Stanley McChrystal, that the war effort hinges on the ability to protect the population and win support away from the Taliban.

Those who back the idea hope it will provide soldiers with another incentive to think twice before calling in an airstrike or firing at an approaching vehicle if civilians could be at risk.

Most military awards in the past have been given for things like soldiers taking out a machine gun nest or saving their buddies in a firefight, said Command Sgt. Maj. Michael Hall, the senior NATO enlisted man in Afghanistan.

“We are now considering how we look at awards differently,” he said. . . .

New Medal Considered For Military: The ‘Courageous Restraint’ Award - The Feed - National Review Online
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

John Kerry would have racked these up!

I sure as hell didn't qualify whilst in SEA. Nor did the rice propelled guys shooting back.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Holy carp!...I thought I was reading "The Onion"...I sent this to my friends and colleagues to get their take....

Sooo sad.

"Hey...I'm glad you didn't call in arty or CAS....and I'm sorry to hear your friends were killed....here's your Purple Heart...and your Courageous Restraint Medal....you could have caused soo many civilian casualties!"

"Yeah....and the bad guys.....they don't seem to show restraint"
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    So stupid on so many levels. Yes, every reasonable effort must be made to prevent civilian casualties. NO, Joe should not hesitate to destroy a legitimate threat because his "superiors" are dangling a medal in front of him.

The answer to this, as to so many things, is training - NOT a medal. And if the "echelons above reality" are concerned to this extent about civilian casualties, they should do the one thing that will make sure none of them occur at all (at least not that are a result of our actions): pull every single troop out. If they aren't willing to do that, they have to accept that it is WAR, and that in war innocent people sometimes die. If the objective is worth waging war, then wage it, and understand all that comes along with doing so. If the objective isn't worth everything, and I mean everything that war entails, then don't go.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

The official medal for cowards. Chesty Puller is rolling over in his grave, wherever he is.

More PC B.S. from the regime in DC

VIP Member

Thumbs down

Wow.

Does that mean someone who refuses to go gets one or will they have a higher level award for him/her.

Then how about an award for malingerers?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

This is enough to gag a maggot.....
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

Hmmm sounds French.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

I understand the intent...urge our soldiers to exercise restraint in the hopes of minimizing civilian casualties, thereby winning hearts and minds to our cause. It's hard to convince the local populace to support you if their friend, family member, or neighbor was just gunned down in a firefight with Taliban fighters, even though I think any right minded person should properly blame the Taliban for that. I think a medal for it, however, is a bit ridiculous. Hopefully this won't get any traction. It's time to end this farce of a war and bring everyone home, I think.

SO are these given out posthumously
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Bingo.

"Mr. and Mrs. Smith, on behalf of a grateful nation I present you with this folded American flag and the medal your son earned for doing nothing while his entire squad was cut to ribbons. You must be very proud."
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

I don't think a ribbon is going to affect the decisions made in real time by the troops on the ground.

The platoon leader on the ground isn't going to be thinking "ok if we don't smoke those guys, standing behind the school bus, pointing the rpg's at us, we'll all get ribbons".

I think this is some window dressing to show the folks there that we are on their side.
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Steve, you beat me to this one! Dave M.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

War is not pretty or fun, but yet DC wants to make it out to be that way.
    My GLOCK goes BANG every time!

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links