Innocent Child Killed in Police Raid - Merged

This is a discussion on Innocent Child Killed in Police Raid - Merged within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The officer's gun "Went off". Tragic. Girl, 7, killed as Detroit cop's weapon discharges | freep.com | Detroit Free Press 7 Year Old Shot and ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

"Don't be afraid to see what you see.
    -Ronald Reagan-

This is certainly a tragic story, but what did a murder suspect's family or friends expect when hiding that kind of dirtbag?
    How does an officer's gun discharge? He wasn't shooting at something, it just went off by itself?
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; May 16th, 2010 at 07:37 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Very sad story! It's hard to believe that any parent would leave their child in a residence where a murder suspect is hiding! What do they expect might happen as a result of his hiding in their home?
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Detroit Police Shoot and Kill 7 Year Old Girl
    Detroit Police Shoot and Kill 7-Year-Old-Girl
    Updated: Sunday, 16 May 2010, 11:09 AM EDT
    Published : Sunday, 16 May 2010, 8:44 AM EDT

DETROIT - A spokesperson for the Detroit Police Department says a 7-year-old girl named Ayana Jones was accidently shot and killed by a DPD officer.

Watch the latest video report by Fox 2's Roop Raj.

It happened in the 4000 block of Lillibridge at 12:40 Sunday morning. According to Detroit Police , officers went to the house to arrest a murder suspect, with a valid search warrant.

The suspect was wanted in another crime that happened on Friday in Detroit. A 17-year-old high school student was shot and killed in front of a party store. They had reason to believe the man inside the home on Lillibridge was the gunman in that murder.

Officers used a stun grenade to enter the home due to the violent nature of the original crime, which likely caused chaos and confusion.

There were several people inside, including Ayana Jones . She was sleeping on the couch. There was some sort of confrontation between a woman inside and one of the officers. The officer's gun went off, fatally wounded the girl by hitting her in the head and neck area.

Ayana was taken to Saint John's Hospital, where she was pronounced dead.

The murder suspect was taken into custody.

Right now the investigation is still ongoing, but a police spokesperson says it was accidental.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    How does an officer's gun discharge?
    The usual way: Finger on trigger.

But I'm sure it will be a year before the facts of the incident come to light.

Does anyone know what handguns the Detroit PD uses?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

hmm. makes sense to me... you start a confrontation with a cop who's got a gun in his hand. its no surprise it "just went off" depending on the severity of the confrontation i suppose.. but sounds to me like it could partially be the woman's fault.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Does anyone know what handguns the Detroit PD uses?
    They were issued Glocks, but in April/June of last year, 2009, they switched to The S&W M&P .40.
    My heroes are Veterans and My Father (who was a veteran).

I believe prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance should have REMAINED in schools, and the Ten Commandments should have REMAINED in schools, courthouses, and everywhere else it was before the ACLU got involved.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Anybody find it odd that the little girl was still sleeping after a flash bang went off in her house?

The story I read said they found the suspect in the other half of the duplex, so apparently the LEOs got a search warrant for both separate residences in the structure, or either just decided to hit both. No word on whether all occupants were related.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    This is a dang shame and I will pray for that little girl as I sit her and ask the Lord to take care of her.

As for these other fools, may they rot in hell for what they have done. They want to blame the overly aggressive law enforcement, please, they were after a murder suspect, he was hiding out in that house, those people should have known better, but did they worry about that, heck no they didn't, now they want to blame the cops, this officer will probably suffer emotionally the rest of his life if he has any type of conscious at all and I presume he does.

I hope I'm not wrong on this one.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Innocent Child Killed in Police Raid

Horrific tragedy for all involved. Of course, if our judicial system didn't allow these types of raids then this wouldn't have happened. The officer was set up by a system that is flawed. Flashbangs? Military tactics? Middle of the night raid? Nope, not Iraq...Detroit. Shameful and indefensible. My main problem is not the tactics involved in these types of raids, it's that they're allowed at all. Before the usual apologists chime in about it being the fault of the parents, think about what YOU would do if people broke into your house after midnight with grenades and assault rifles? It's sad when you are forced to assume that anyone kicking in your door must be a cop.

7-year-old girl killed in Detroit police raid - CNN.com

VIP Member
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    This is a dang shame and I will pray for that little girl as I sit her and ask the Lord to take care of her.

As for these other fools, may they rot in hell for what they have done. They want to blame the overly aggressive law enforcement, please, they were after a murder suspect, he was hiding out in that house, those people should have known better, but did they worry about that, heck no they didn't, now they want to blame the cops, this officer will probably suffer emotionally the rest of his life if he has any type of conscious at all and I presume he does.

I hope I'm not wrong on this one.
    You already are wrong. These types of raids are indefensible. In this particular instance, it sounds like the cops had the wrong apartment. He might be in one of two residences so let's hit them both? Really? Great intel. Did they even know a 7 year old was in there? Did the parent's know they might have been harboring a suspect? I highly doubt it. Do you think he came and announced he killed somebody? Seriously? This was their home! The police kicked the door in, lobbed grenades, and killed their little girl. There is no defending this. Sad commentary on our society when you are forced to assume that someone breaking into your home is a cop.

I am continually amazed by the numbers of LEOs who support these raids. All they do is endanger citizens, children, and cops. Not to mention the ill will that is fomented against the police every time one of these goes bad. It's down right shameful when anyone can shrug their shoulders and chalk up a dead kid to collateral damage in the war on crime. If this house had not been raided, this child would be alive. If they have intel on the whereabouts of a suspect, wait til he's mobile and pick him up. There are so many other ways this situation could have been resolved. These types of raids must end.

It happens. It's tragic. Humanity has screwed up the universe like you wouldn't believe. Change things if you can, and if you can't...depend upon yourself and keep out of the way of the evil. Atrocities.

VIP Member
    I am continually amazed by the numbers of LEOs who support these raids. All they do is endanger citizens, children, and cops. Not to mention the ill will that is fomented against the police every time one of these goes bad. It's down right shameful when anyone can shrug their shoulders and chalk up a dead kid to collateral damage in the war on crime. If this house had not been raided, this child would be alive. If they have intel on the whereabouts of a suspect, wait til he's mobile and pick him up. There are so many other ways this situation could have been resolved. These types of raids must end.

Very sad this little girl did not have to die.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Sad for the child.

Officers must always be careful. I hope they were doing their job.

If you choose to harbor a convicted felon-drug-dealing-parole-violating, you put your family in danger.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links