Another "never was"...

This is a discussion on Another "never was"... within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; caught "mis-speaking" Blumenthal?s Words Differ From His History - NYTimes.com Candidate’s Words on Vietnam Service Differ From History At a ceremony honoring veterans and senior ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another "never was"...

VIP Member

Another "never was"...

caught "mis-speaking"

Blumenthal?s Words Differ From His History - NYTimes.com

Candidate’s Words on Vietnam Service Differ From History

At a ceremony honoring veterans and senior citizens who sent presents to soldiers overseas, Attorney General Richard Blumenthal of Connecticut rose and spoke of an earlier time in his life.

We have learned something important since the days that I served in Vietnam,” Mr. Blumenthal said to the group gathered in Norwalk in March 2008. “And you exemplify it. Whatever we think about the war, whatever we call it — Afghanistan or Iraq — we owe our military men and women unconditional support.”

There was one problem: Mr. Blumenthal, a Democrat now running for the United States Senate, never served in Vietnam. He obtained at least five military deferments from 1965 to 1970 and took repeated steps that enabled him to avoid going to war, according to records.

The deferments allowed Mr. Blumenthal to complete his studies at Harvard; pursue a graduate fellowship in England; serve as a special assistant to The Washington Post’s publisher, Katharine Graham; and ultimately take a job in the Nixon White House.

In 1970, with his last deferment in jeopardy, he landed a coveted spot in the Marine Reserve, which virtually guaranteed that he would not be sent to Vietnam. He joined a unit in Washington that conducted drills and other exercises and focused on local projects, like fixing a campground and organizing a Toys for Tots drive.

Many politicians have faced questions over their decisions during the Vietnam War, and Mr. Blumenthal, who is seeking the seat being vacated by Senator Christopher J. Dodd, is not alone in staying out of the war.

But what is striking about Mr. Blumenthal’s record is the contrast between the many steps he took that allowed him to avoid Vietnam, and the misleading way he often speaks about that period of his life now, especially when he is speaking at veterans’ ceremonies or other patriotic events.

Sometimes his remarks have been plainly untrue, as in his speech to the group in Norwalk. At other times, he has used more ambiguous language, but the impression left on audiences can be similar.

In an interview on Monday, the attorney general said that he had misspoken about his service during the Norwalk event and might have misspoken on other occasions. “My intention has always been to be completely clear and accurate and straightforward, out of respect to the veterans who served in Vietnam,” he said.

But an examination of his remarks at the ceremonies shows that he does not volunteer that his service never took him overseas. And he describes the hostile reaction directed at veterans coming back from Vietnam, intimating that he was among them.

In 2003, he addressed a rally in Bridgeport, where about 100 military families gathered to express support for American troops overseas. “When we returned, we saw nothing like this,” Mr. Blumenthal said. “Let us do better by this generation of men and women.”

At a 2008 ceremony in front of the Veterans War Memorial Building in Shelton, he praised the audience for paying tribute to troops fighting abroad, noting that America had not always done so.

“I served during the Vietnam era,” he said. “I remember the taunts, the insults, sometimes even physical abuse.”

Mr. Blumenthal, 64, is known as a brilliant lawyer who likes to argue cases in court and uses language with power and precision. He is also savvy about the news media and attentive to how he is portrayed in the press.

But the way he speaks about his military service has led to confusion and frequent mischaracterizations of his biography in his home state newspapers. In at least eight newspaper articles published in Connecticut from 2003 to 2009, he is described as having served in Vietnam.

The New Haven Register on July 20, 2006, described him as “a veteran of the Vietnam War,” and on April 6, 2007, said that the attorney general had “served in the Marines in Vietnam.” On May 26, 2009, The Connecticut Post, a Bridgeport newspaper that is the state’s third-largest daily, described Mr. Blumenthal as “a Vietnam veteran.” The Shelton Weekly reported on May 23, 2008, that Mr. Blumenthal “was met with applause when he spoke about his experience as a Marine sergeant in Vietnam.”

And the idea that he served in Vietnam has become such an accepted part of his public biography that when a national outlet, Slate magazine, produced a profile of Mr. Blumenthal in 2000, it said he had “enlisted in the Marines rather than duck the Vietnam draft.”

It does not appear that Mr. Blumenthal ever sought to correct those mistakes.

In the interview, he said he was not certain whether he had seen the stories or whether any steps had been taken to point out the inaccuracies.

“I don’t know if we tried to do so or not,” he said. He added that he “can’t possibly know what is reported in all” the articles that are written about him, given the large number of appearances he makes at military-style events.

He said he had tried to stick to a consistent way of describing his military experience: that he served as a member of the United State Marine Corps Reserve during the Vietnam era.

Asked about the Bridgeport rally, when he told the crowd, “When we returned, we saw nothing like this,” Mr. Blumenthal said he did not recall the event.

An aide pointed out that in a different appearance this year, Mr. Blumenthal was forthright about not having gone to war. In a Senate debate in March, he responded to a question about Iran and the use of military force by saying, “Although I did not serve in Vietnam, I have seen firsthand the effects of military action, and no one wants it to be the first resort, nor do we want to mortgage the country’s future with a deficit that is ballooning out of control.”

On a less serious matter, another flattering but untrue description of Mr. Blumenthal’s history has appeared in profiles about him. In two largely favorable profiles, the Slate article and a magazine article in The Hartford Courant in 2004 with which he cooperated, Mr. Blumenthal is described prominently as having served as captain of the swim team at Harvard. Records at the college show that he was never on the team.

Mr. Blumenthal said he did not provide the information to reporters, was unsure how it got into circulation and was “astonished” when he saw it in print.

Mr. Blumenthal has made veterans’ issues a centerpiece of his public life and his Senate campaign, but even those who have worked closely with him have gotten the misimpression that he served in Vietnam.

In an interview, Jean Risley, the chairwoman of the Connecticut Vietnam Veterans Memorial Inc., recalled listening to an emotional Mr. Blumenthal offering remarks at the dedication of the memorial. She remembered him describing the indignities that he and other veterans faced when they returned from Vietnam.

“It was a sad moment,” she recalled. “He said, ‘When we came back, we were spat on; we couldn’t wear our uniforms.’ It looked like he was sad to me when he said it.”

Ms. Risley later telephoned the reporter to say she had checked into Mr. Blumenthal’s military background and learned that he had not, in fact, served in Vietnam.

The Vietnam chapter in Mr. Blumenthal’s biography has received little attention despite his nearly three decades in Connecticut politics.

But now, after repeatedly shunning opportunities for higher office, Mr. Blumenthal is the man Democrats nationally are depending on to retain the seat they controlled for 30 years under Mr. Dodd, and he is likely to face more intense scrutiny.

After obtaining Mr. Blumenthal’s Selective Service records through a Freedom of Information Act request, The New York Times asked David Curry, a professor at the University of Missouri-St. Louis and an expert on the Vietnam draft, to examine them.

Mr. Curry said the records showed that Mr. Blumenthal had received at least five deferments. Mr. Blumenthal did not dispute that but said he did not know how many deferments he had received.

Mr. Blumenthal grew up in New York City, the son of a successful businessman who ran an import-export company.

As a young man, he attended Riverdale Country School in the Bronx and showed great promise, along with an ability to ingratiate himself with powerful people.

In 1963, he entered Harvard College, where he met Daniel Patrick Moynihan, who served on the faculty there and guided Mr. Blumenthal’s senior thesis on the failure of government poverty programs.

He received two student deferments during his undergraduate years there, the records show.

After graduating from Harvard in 1967, military records show, Mr. Blumenthal obtained another educational deferment and headed to Britain, where he filed stories for The Washington Post and attended Trinity College, Cambridge, on a graduate fellowship.

But in early 1968, President Lyndon B. Johnson, under pressure over criticism that wealthier young men were avoiding the draft through graduate school, abolished nearly all graduate deferments and sharply increased the number of troops sent to Southeast Asia.

That summer, Mr. Blumenthal’s draft classification changed from 2-S, an educational deferment, to 2-A, an occupational deferment — a rare exemption from military service for men who contended that it was in the “national health, safety and interest” for them to remain in their civilian jobs. At the time, he was working as a special assistant to Ms. Graham, whose son Donald he had befriended at Harvard. Half a year later, after the election of President Richard M. Nixon, Mr. Blumenthal went to work in the White House as a senior staff assistant to Mr. Moynihan, who was Nixon’s urban affairs adviser.

But at the end of that year, he became eligible for induction after he drew a low number in a draft lottery held on Dec. 1, 1969. His number was 152, and people with numbers as high as 195 could be drafted, according to the Selective Service.

Two months after the lottery, in February 1970, Mr. Blumenthal obtained a second occupational deferment, according to the records. The status of people with occupational deferments, however, was growing shakier, with the war raging and the Nixon administration increasingly uncomfortable with them.

In April 1970, Mr. Blumenthal secured a spot in the Marine Corps Reserve, which was regarded as a safe harbor for those who did not want to go to war.

“The Reserves were not being activated for Vietnam and were seen as a shelter for young privileged men,” Mr. Curry said.

But Mr. Blumenthal’s campaign manager, Mindy Myers, said Monday that any suggestion that he was ducking the war was unfounded, saying he was engaged in important work. When he worked for Ms. Graham, for example, he helped teach children in a public school in the Anacostia section of Washington, for a project she had started there.

“It’s flat wrong to imply that Richard Blumenthal’s decisions to take a Fiske Fellowship, teach inner-city schoolchildren and work in the White House for Daniel Patrick Moynihan were decisions to avoid service when in fact, while still eligible for a deferment, he chose to enlist in the Marine Corps Reserves and completed six months of service at Parris Island, S.C., and then six years of service in the Reserves.”

Mr. Blumenthal landed in the Fourth Civil Affairs Group in Washington, whose members included the well-connected in Washington. At the time, the unit was not associated with the kind of hardship of traditional fighting units, according to Marine reports from the period and interviews with about a half-dozen men who served in the unit during the Vietnam years.

In the 1970s, the unit’s members were dispatched to undertake projects like refurbishing tent decks and showers at a campground for underprivileged Washington children, as well as collecting and distributing toys and games as part of regular Toys for Tots drives.

Robert Cole, a retired lieutenant colonel who did active duty overseas in the 1950s and later joined the unit as a reservist, recalled the young men who joined the unit in the late 1960s and early 1970s. “These kids we were getting in — a lot of them were worried about the draft,” he said.

After entering Yale Law School in the fall of 1970, Mr. Blumenthal transferred to a Marine Reserve unit in New Haven, Company C of the Sixth Motor Transport Battalion, Fourth Marine Division, which conducted occasional military drills, as well as participating in Christmas toy drives for children and recycling programs in neighboring communities, according to the unit’s command reports from the time.

In 1974, Mr. Blumenthal took a position as a law clerk for Justice Harry C. Blackmun of the United States Supreme Court and transferred back to a Washington unit, where he completed his service.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Being a coward is one thing, but stealing another mans honor 35 years later speaks even more about ones character.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    He should "man up". I served from 1970-1994. I am a Vietnam era veteran. I have never, nor will I ever claim to be a Vietnam veteran. I would have gone if called to go, but my AFSC saw very limited duty in theater. I will not dishonor myself or my service by claiming to be something I'm not.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

A true politician what I said isn't what I meant,Anybody that allows people to write things that aren't true and doesn't correct them is just as bad as if he wrote it himself,I would never vote for a slimeball like him.Anybody that pulled every string he could to avoid being drafted should never be able to hold public office,because of his cowardice somebody had to go instead of him.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I get too mad to comment when folks like this surface. He is a FAKE WARRIOR. I am a Vietnam Vet, as are many others on this forum and many Vietnam Era Vets on this forum. I was in country. I volunteered to go. I was an only child, only surviving son to keep family line going, and by law I didn't have to go. It's people like the politician, falsely claiming Vietnam, in country service, that arouse the ire of a true Veteran. With that being said, here are a couple of sights that some folks might find interesting. They pretty much all pertain to PHONIES>>>

Viper's Vietnam Veterans Pages, Military Wannabe's, Fake's and Fraud's

http://www.pownetwork.org/pownet.sec...Imposters1.pdf

STOLEN VALOR

We are engulfed in a national scandal. Unknown to most Americans, there is a virtual epidemic of impostors in this country - countless thousands of men who, since the Vietnam War, have been either inventing a non-existent military service, or inflating their war records. Military decorations are being falsely claimed, and often worn, by men never authorized to receive them -- the kind earned the hard way by genuine war heroes who are on the Wall.

Unless something is done about these Wannabe's their shameless, self-aggrandizing, and costly conduct will not only continue unabated; it will grow. Anyone who thinks such conduct is merely offensive and relatively harmless is misinformed.

There is no middle of the road on this subject you are either one who condones or you are one who finds these actions despicable, the horrible thing is some with their own agendas condone it by not decrying it.

The very real harm that Wannabe's visit upon innocent Americans - is incalculable. A few examples. Innocents, widows, wives and children in particular, experience shame and disillusionment when a Wannabe husband or father is exposed. Laws criminalizing Fake Warrior behavior continue to be un enforced. National security is compromised. Readers of nonfiction books are misled by authors whose credentials are fake.

The legitimate accomplishments of veterans who honorably served America are dishonored and depreciated. Worse, those accomplishments increasingly are shadowed by suspicion among people who conscientiously try to distinguish between the real and the fake. The well has been poisoned by the proliferation of Wannabe's.

To steal from those who "GAVE ALL" there is no defense, for actions like this, these thieves will answer either here on earth or to their Maker and to the ones on the Wall they pilfered from like a vermin in the night.

Thank God for people like Mary and Chuck Schantag at the POWNetwork who have been exposing these Valor Thieves for more than a decade on and off the Internet, they are the most respected source on and off the Internet for information and are used by almost every Wannabe web site on the Internet for requesting information on suspected offenders, and by many Veteran Organizations seeking information on suspected fakes.

Thank you Mary and Chuck for your dedication to preserving the Valor of those who earned it and especially for those who are on the black granite Wall who cannot speak out for themselves, God Bless you. (From Viper's page)

I now know why men who have been to war yearn to reunite. Not to tell stories or look at old pictures. Not to laugh or weep. Comrades gather because they long to be with the men who once acted their best, men who suffered and sacrificed, who were stripped raw, right down to their humanity. I did not pick these men. They were delivered by fate. But I know them in a way I know no other men. I have never given anyone such trust. They were willing to guard something more precious than my life. They would have carried my reputation, the memory of me. It was part of the bargain we all made, the reason we were so willing to die for one another. (From Viper's page)
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

I remember that during that era it was very difficult in my area to get into the guard or reserve. You had to know someone was the common saying then. I would have much more respect for this man if he had gone to Canada to avoid Nam. That would have been more honest.

Michael

Having been a CT resident from the days of Blumie's ascent to power, I still stay connected with CT politics even though I'm a continent away.

Blumenthal is a self-righteous stuffed shirt. I'm not the first one to say it, but about the most dangerous place to be in CT is between Blumenthal and a camera lens.

Spend a few minutes reading the responses to the article - see what the vast majority of real veterans of the Viet Nam war think about this poseur.

The funny thing is that Blumie was doing fine even without distorting his military service. He's never faced a serious challenge to re-election since he became the state AG.

How utterly fitting that that bastion of liberalism, the New York Times, did the research and broke the story. I have to wonder if Elliot Spitzer (former neighbor state rival for the spotlight) dropped a dme and maybe even funded the dirt-digging.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    In an interview on Monday, the attorney general said that he had misspoken about his service during the Norwalk event and might have misspoken on other occasions. “My intention has always been to be completely clear and accurate and straightforward, out of respect to the veterans who served in Vietnam,” he said.
    Misspoken? Why not call a spade a spade; he is a liar pure and simple. I will leave it at that since any other comments I have would be inappropriate for a public forum.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

He's an embarrassment, and should just retire.
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

un-electable...
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

usually politicians wait till AFTER they are elected to get caught lying :p
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Sounds like to me, He served up a sack of Bovine DUNG!! I'll leave it at that!! ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    un-electable...
    scarey part is, he's been elected, AND re-elected....
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I can see that maybe he caught some flak from being in uniform. I can maybe see that he used 'we' in the sense of 'we as a nation.' At the very least he is an idiot, more likely is purposely distorting his record. Now he's caught and is trying to shovel it up.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member
    This isn't the first "public figure" I've seen making similar statements (some even worse!) It's one thing to try to impress a girl at a bar with your (made up) tales of daring-do (though it's still wrong); it's quite another to do it in public and attempt to use it to bolster your own "celebrity." Do these people not think that they will be caught in this, the age of instant and total information? The fact that there are several organizations dedicated to outing fake vets and fake "cool guys" should be enough to deter such fabrications, no? Well, no, apparently not...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links