The Army Sgt. Who Never Was

This is a discussion on The Army Sgt. Who Never Was within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This guy joined an Army reserve unit based on USMC service that he never had. Yep, he even got a security clearance. Someone in the ...

Thread: The Army Sgt. Who Never Was

The Army Sgt. Who Never Was

This guy joined an Army reserve unit based on USMC service that he never had. Yep, he even got a security clearance. Someone in the Army has some serious splainin to do on this one.

AP INVESTIGATION: Texas man faked way into Army - Yahoo! News

Jesse Bernard Johnston III, 26, joined the Army Reserve in February as a sergeant and was assigned to the Corps Support Airplane Company based at the Fort Worth Naval Air Station. But he wasn't qualified to hold that rank, according to military records obtained by the AP. The records show that Johnston's only military experience was attending part of a 12-week Marine officer candidate course for college students in 2004.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Johnston should be PCSed directly to Fort Levenworth.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    I always thought it odd that we hand carried our paperwork between duty stations. What I handed the admins when I showed up, was all that they had on me. I've heard of guys awarding themselves ribbons (you just buy them at the PX, etc..). Is it still done this way?

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Johnston should be PCSed directly to Fort Levenworth.
    LOL
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I always thought it odd that we hand carried our paperwork between duty stations. What I handed the admins when I showed up, was all that they had on me. I've heard of guys awarding themselves ribbons (you just buy them at the PX, etc..). Is it still done this way?
    + 1 on the "you carry" back when I was in USMC.

Certainly not the way we handled it later in my civilian government jobs, much less anything that dealt w/ anything re: clearances.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    It's all digital now. We still hand carry some records, but all of it it centrally maintained in a digital file.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

Lead Moderator
    Looking at the picture with the article I'd think there will be charges coming under the "Stolen Valor" laws on the books now.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Senior Moderator
    I do wonder how the Army never caught him, and if he just gave himself general service ribbons instead of a purple heart and bronze star if he cold have kept it up for years.

And he is going to do jail time over the Stolen Valor laws.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Links