DARPA’s New Sniper Rifle Offers a Perfect Shot Across 12 Football Fields

DARPA’s New Sniper Rifle Offers a Perfect Shot Across 12 Football Fields

This is a discussion on DARPA’s New Sniper Rifle Offers a Perfect Shot Across 12 Football Fields within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; DARPA’s New Sniper Rifle Offers a Perfect Shot Across 12 Football Fields | 80beats | Discover Magazine With DARPA’s new “One Shot” sniper system [PDF], ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post DARPA’s New Sniper Rifle Offers a Perfect Shot Across 12 Football Fields

DARPA’s New Sniper Rifle Offers a Perfect Shot Across 12 Football Fields | 80beats | Discover Magazine

With DARPA’s new “One Shot” sniper system [PDF], scheduled to be in soldier’s hands by the fall of 2011, the U.S. military will give snipers the ability to take out an enemy at a distance of .7 miles in winds around 10 to 20 miles per hour. Military brass hopes the system will give snipers a perfect shot at least six times out of ten.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Sweet.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Lead Moderator
    Sounds really interesting! I'd love to try it.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

This will help us in Afgan!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I thought they did better than 6 out of ten already. But hey, anything to give them an advantage!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I thought they did better than 6 out of ten already. But hey, anything to give them an advantage!
    +1 it'll be interesting to see how the better shots that have the training do with the technology.

Glock Certified Armorer

ntg
    I'm guessing the price tag will be out of my range, assuming that they ever let it on the civilian market.

One can always dream however.
    M&P Shield9; RIA 1911 Tactical 9mm;...many long guns

VIP Member
    Twelve hundred yards is a darned long shot for anyone, under any conditions, but with strong cross winds it becomes much more so. Yes, they are possible, but there are so many factors in play at that range that they are far from certain, even from truly skilled marksmen.

Akin to my other thread about the "combat rifle" version of this that is being worked on, it certainly can't hurt a trained marksman to have this sort of capability.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

In 1993, I was asked, by our state's DPS, to demonstrate unconventional ways our unit (an armored Cavalry Troop) could support police forces in an TEOTWAWKI situation. So I got together with my senior leaders and came up with several interesting and unconventional ideas, and one of them that came out was using an old commander's cupola trainer (M85 .50 cal) combined with a wind sensor off an M60A3 TTS tank as a precision weapon system. Using a regular range-finding laser, we were able to hit just about anything out to magnification for ID range, with the excellent sight system for the turret cupola.

Based upon that, we demonstrated the concept on paper, using a more sophisticated T&E mechanism, wind sensor, temperature gauge and ballistic computer.

When we demonstrated this on a range from the back of a pickup truck, the trained police snipers looked at us nervously, and our idea was quickly dismissed.

Bottom line, using pre-existing technology, we turned PFC Joe Snuffy into a pretty lethal critter, with about an hour's training.

Of course, what makes highly trained snipers relevant is their flexibility, mobility and intelligence/judgment. Precision shooting is a small factor in military sniping.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Twelve hundred yards is a darned long shot for anyone, under any conditions, but with strong cross winds it becomes much more so. Yes, they are possible, but there are so many factors in play at that range that they are far from certain, even from truly skilled marksmen.

Akin to my other thread about the "combat rifle" version of this that is being worked on, it certainly can't hurt a trained marksman to have this sort of capability.
    Mr. Obvious.
    Don't know that a stiff crosswind would necessarily make the shot longer, but it would be more difficult.

Anything to give them an advantage!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Gotta love technology.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Mr. Obvious.
    Don't know that a stiff crosswind would necessarily make the shot longer, but it would be more difficult.

Anything to give them an advantage!
    Lol, yeah, that read...strange. I meant "long" as in "difficult" in addition to just "far away" in that context. :)

And, suprisingly, there are folks who think that anyone with a "sniper" rifle can just plink away at 1200 yards like it was nothing - another byproduct of too much media and myth - there haven't been all that many Carlos Hathcocks over the years.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I love technology but things like this sometimes worry me.Not for their abilities but for the fact the number crunchers look at it and ask why do we need to spend all that time and training on snipers when this will do the same thing a lot cheaper.And then when the technology fails we lose the capability.
    For example in the auto repair industry these days to many "mechanics" are just technicians they plug the car into the computer and replace the parts it tells them.They do not have the ability to diagnose the problem by them self.

VIP Member
    "For example in the auto repair industry these days to many "mechanics" are just technicians they plug the car into the computer and replace the parts it tells them.They do not have the ability to diagnose the problem by them self."

And I'd have no problem with that if they fixed it the first time!

A rifle sight that corrected for range and windage, like a computerized gunsight in a fighter, would certainly seem to cut back on the need for a "sniper," but something tells me there will always be the need for a set of "specialized eyes" that knows how to creep within the effective range of the fancy-sighted rifle.

Very interesting, cant wait to hear bout battle results, if any would be made available

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links