May he rest in peace: Oldest Medal of Honor recipient from WWII dies (MERGED)

This is a discussion on May he rest in peace: Oldest Medal of Honor recipient from WWII dies (MERGED) within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Sadly there are so few left. SAN DIEGO (AP) Retired Navy Lt. John Finn, the oldest Medal of Honor recipient from World War II, ...

Thread: May he rest in peace: Oldest Medal of Honor recipient from WWII dies (MERGED)

VIP Member

May he rest in peace: Oldest Medal of Honor recipient from WWII dies (MERGED)

Sadly there are so few left.

SAN DIEGO (AP) Retired Navy Lt. John Finn, the oldest Medal of Honor recipient from World War II, died Thursday at his southern California ranch. He was 100.

Finn was the first man to receive the nation's highest military award for heroism during the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7, 1941. He was the oldest of 97 Medal of Honor recipients still living.

Despite head wounds and other injuries, Finn, the chief of ordnance for an air squadron, continuously fired a .50-caliber machine gun from an exposed position as bullets and bombs pounded the base at Kaneohe Bay in Oahu. He then supervised the rearming of returning American planes.

"Here they're paying you for doing your duty, and that's what I did," Finn told The Associated Press before his 100th birthday. "I never intended to be a hero. But on Dec. 7, by God, we're in a war."

Finn received the Medal of Honor on Sept. 15, 1942, from then-President Franklin D. Roosevelt.

He retired from the Navy in 1947, but continued to help young sailors, Lt. Aaron Kakiel said.

"He's been a real inspiration to a number of our aviation ordnance men and an example for the entire Navy," he said.

Born July 23, 1909, in Los Angeles, Finn lived for 50 years on his ranch near Live Oak Springs, outside San Diego.

He will be buried with full military honors. Kakiel said the Navy was still working with his family members on the details.

EarthLink - U.S. News
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

2. Remove Ads

John Finn, a Great American Dies at 100.

John Finn died at age 100. He was great man and I felt honored to have known him. He was at Pearl Harbor when Japan attacked. I believe he was wounded something like 22 times. He was hauled to the infirmary and while waiting around he decided to sneak back out and join the fight.
    I use take him to speaking engagements. He was a wonderful story teller and his ability to recount the war was amazing.
    Rest in peace Chief Finn.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I didn't realize there was already a post running. Hopefully the Mods will merge.
    I would not be surprised if he ends up buried out on the Indian Reservation along with his wife. He was very devoted to her and cared for her, at thier home until her death. He was around 90 when she past away. I am sure there will be a lot of pressure to lay him at rest in a National Cemetary.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Distinguished Member
    It's amazing, watching him shoot at those Jap planes with that 50 cal. machine gun. He was a brave man and deserved to be honored.

VIP Member
    RIP

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Thank you for serving. Rest in peace!

We've got the watch sir, you are relieved.

Rest In Peace!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

RIP Chief....
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Rest in Peace,at least he had a lot of good years
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post

We've got the watch sir, you are relieved.

Rest In Peace!
    Roger That!

Semper Fi, Lt. Finn

And the Citation Reads:
    For extraordinary heroism distinguished service, and devotion above and beyond the call of duty. During the first attack by Japanese airplanes on the Naval Air Station, Kaneohe Bay, on 7 December 1941, Lt. Finn promptly secured and manned a .50-caliber machinegun mounted on an instruction stand in a completely exposed section of the parking ramp, which was under heavy enemy machinegun strafing fire.

Although painfully wounded many times, he continued to man this gun and to return the enemy's fire vigorously and with telling effect throughout the enemy strafing and bombing attacks and with complete disregard for his own personal safety.

It was only by specific orders that he was persuaded to leave his post to seek medical attention. Following first aid treatment, although obviously suffering much pain and moving with great difficulty, he returned to the squadron area and actively supervised the rearming of returning planes. His extraordinary heroism and conduct in this action were in keeping with the highest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service.

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Chief Finn, "We salute you...R.I.P."

The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links