Air Marshals - Page 2

Air Marshals

This is a discussion on Air Marshals within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by CCWFlaRuger I have to disagree, the Israeli's put Air Marshals on flights, all flights, in plain sight, with fully automatic UZIs. When ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Air Marshals

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by CCWFlaRuger View Post
    I have to disagree, the Israeli's put Air Marshals on flights, all flights, in plain sight, with fully automatic UZIs. When is the last time you heard about an Israeli flight being taken or attacked?

The more it is publicized, the more effective, IMHO
    Actually, it is because of their screening process like P7 pointed out. El Al is small air carrier, I think they operate less than 100 aircraft.

Their "Sky Marshals" pride themselves in their anonymity and I've never known them to open carry, Uzi or not. Last I knew they used Beretta's in 9mm and 22lr chamberings. That might have changed last I checked though.

Here is a pretty interesting video about them;
    YouTube - Israeli Sky Marshals
    "Just blame Sixto"

Air Marshals will stand out because they always wear jacket & tie, they frequently show up later than most passengers at the gate, and once on the aircraft, even if they put reading material in front of them, they are not allowed to read.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Air Marshals will stand out because they always wear jacket & tie, they frequently show up later than most passengers at the gate, and once on the aircraft, even if they put reading material in front of them, they are not allowed to read.
    Actually, the dress code is super relaxed now and they frequently board first.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I was very impressed with the caliber of person they were drawing.
    I bet these marshall candidates would blend in and not trigger any suspicions.......so they can just sit and pretend to read a magazine .....

Quote Originally Posted by DIABLO9489 View Post
    That was a interesting article. I would love to read/see more about their training and everything they have to go through. I wonder if they are also trained on how to fly and/or land the plane?
    No, they are not trained to fly planes, unless of course, they held a Pilots Lic for that aircraft before working as a FAM.
    ::: NRA Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor, Military Veteran, Public Safety Professional :::

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    I wonder if Air Marshals have to unload and turn in their weapons while flying over California or Illinois?

No, they do not. They are not required as they are "Federal Officers" and can carry nearly anywhere in the U.S.

HR 218 (LEOSA: Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act '04) also allows Active Law Enforcement Officers to carry concealed in any State or Territory of the U.S.

Provisions are made for FAMS when they arrive in foreign countries. Those provisions will not be made known public out of respect for FAMS currently on the job.
    ::: NRA Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor, Military Veteran, Public Safety Professional :::

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    They used to have a dress code which made them easier to make out. This has since been changed. They can wear or look like anything these days, greatly increasing the chances of not being "made".

VIP Member
    A few years back my Friend was flying to the Dominican Republic and he was chatting with a Guy in line. When the plane was on it's way a Woman started to act up and got out of control. The Guy got up and grabbed Her and Yanked Her to the back of the plane.

Quote Originally Posted by Skippys View Post
    "You'd never know an air marshal is beside you with a semi-automatic, unless your plane is hijacked...."
    Baloney. I once got on a plane first and he was already sitting on the plane. I had the seat next to him, and he fit the profile...fit, short hair, 40'ish, read a book, never napped, first class seat, aisle. I could see him printing but only because I knew. I wanted to talk guns with him but I decided to stay quiet. I wish there was an air marshal on every plane.

VIP Member
    Guns and More.
    I wanted to talk guns with him but I decided to stay quiet.

Is that a gun in Your pocket or are You just happy to see Me
    Last edited by ccman; June 29th, 2010 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Left out a word.

Quote Originally Posted by ccman View Post
    Guns and More.
    I wanted to talk guns with him but I decided to stay quiet.

Is that a gun in Your pocket or are You just happy to see Me
    Ba-da-bing.
    Actually he was wearing a Hawaiian shirt loose and had the weapon at 4pm IWB. I wanted to know what it was (brand) but didn't want to end up face down in the aisle so I didn't. He made no attempt to be social.

What a boring job, ride around the country all day, trying to stay awake.

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    What a boring job, ride around the country all day, trying to stay awake.
    Not just awake, but alert! Gotta be one heck of a stressful job, strange as that might sound. Gotta look innocuous while keeping an eye on just about everyone who comes in to your view.
    Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #12-751

If guns kill people, then:
    Pincels miss spel werds;
    Cars make people drive drunk;
    And spoons made Rosie O'Donnel fat.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    I wanted to know what it was (brand)...
    What FAMs are issued is public knowledge. The number on the slide may be changing, but the brand still starts with "S" and ends with "ig."
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I shot an FBI Tactical Pistol Course in 2005 with all kinds of agencies and one of the guys was a FAM out of NJ. Great guy and a fantastic shot. They carry SIGs in 357SIG caliber. At the end of the 1 week course we got to play with the different agencies weapons(most of us had "vanilla" Glocks in 9mm or 40)and the Air Marshal broke out a case of rounds and let anyone who wanted to try his SIG's. Cool stuff. All I know is I would not want to be downrange from this guy or a famous member of the old NYPD Stakeout Squad,who shot the course with his old match grade Colt 1911 !
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Current Issue FAMS Firearms are:

Sig 229, .357sig
    Sig 239, .357sig
    Sig 232, .380

Primary Issue is in the changes to Sig P250, again in .357sig.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links