Air Marshals

This is a discussion on Air Marshals within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; "You'd never know an air marshal is beside you with a semi-automatic, unless your plane is hijacked...." Zuma story & photos here: Welcome to zReportage.com...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Air Marshals

Air Marshals

"You'd never know an air marshal is beside you with a semi-automatic, unless your plane is hijacked...."

Zuma story & photos here: Welcome to zReportage.com

2. Remove Ads

That was a interesting article. I would love to read/see more about their training and everything they have to go through. I wonder if they are also trained on how to fly and/or land the plane?
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Last time I flew (Anchorage to Seattle) my wife and I were in First Class, plane was ready to go then two guys got on, they saw the stewardess and said "we're the Air Marshals", flashed badges, then knocked on the cockpit door and repeated the process with the pilots. Way to be low key.

I wonder if Air Marshals have to unload and turn in their weapons while flying over California or Illinois?
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    Here's a fact about the Air Marshal program:

More Marshals have been arrested for FELONIES, than people arrested by Air Marshals!
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    Here's a fact about the Air Marshal program:

More Marshals have been arrested for FELONIES, than people arrested by Air Marshals!
    I have no doubt that is true, however, we will never know what they may have thwarted simply by existing.

Back when the program first started, I was a part of their tubular assault training. I helped come up with some methods still being used. Working with the newly formed division, I was very impressed with the caliber of person they were drawing. They hired no slouches or Poindexters the other Federal LE agencies loved, which really surprised me due to the low pay scale and obvious travel time the job required.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Skippys View Post
    "You'd never know an air marshal is beside you with a semi-automatic, unless your plane is hijacked...."
    Not always true...

But it was their fault. A few years ago I was flying and got to the airport early, not knowing the local traffic. As is my habit I went through security and went and sat at the departure gate, whipped out my book and proceeded to try and read. Well, there was this "couple", and the female was a spanish speaker with a "volume control" problem, just yelling into her cell phone... I got very little reading done.

About 10 minutes after the plane arrived at the gate, and 15 minutes or better prior to boarding, these two were quietly ushered down the walk way. As I boarded I noticed they were both sitting (not together) in first class, on the aisle. I wanted to tell the guy that if he didn't want to get "made" he needed a quieter partner, but desecration won out!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Schneier on Security: The Effectiveness of Air Marshals

I found this link regarding the Air Marshal's effectiveness. Since 2001 the entire program has averaged 4.2 arrests per year at a cost of $2,000,000 per arrest.
    That's a hefty price for piece of mind, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by DIABLO9489 View Post
    That was a interesting article. I would love to read/see more about their training and everything they have to go through. I wonder if they are also trained on how to fly and/or land the plane?
    I would prefer they kept all their secrets hidden, to maintain a tactical edge.
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

Quote Originally Posted by tennvol View Post
    Last time I flew (Anchorage to Seattle) my wife and I were in First Class, plane was ready to go then two guys got on, they saw the stewardess and said "we're the Air Marshals", flashed badges, then knocked on the cockpit door and repeated the process with the pilots. Way to be low key.
    That's just stupid!
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    I would prefer they kept all their secrets hidden, to maintain a tactical edge.
    I have to disagree, the Israeli's put Air Marshals on flights, all flights, in plain sight, with fully automatic UZIs. When is the last time you heard about an Israeli flight being taken or attacked?

The more it is publicized, the more effective, IMHO
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Quote Originally Posted by CCWFlaRuger View Post
    I have to disagree, the Israeli's put Air Marshals on flights, all flights, in plain sight, with fully automatic UZIs. When is the last time you heard about an Israeli flight being taken or attacked?

You make a good point!

Patrick Henry

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

You make a point but I believe the primary reason for the Israeli's success are their screening procedures. They're more thorough and effective than anywhere else in the world, IMO.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I have to disagree, the Israeli's put Air Marshals on flights, all flights, in plain sight, with fully automatic UZIs.
    I did a short amount of research this and found nothing to corroborate this. Care to cite?
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Topspeed View Post
    Schneier on Security: The Effectiveness of Air Marshals

I found this link regarding the Air Marshal's effectiveness. Since 2001 the entire program has averaged 4.2 arrests per year at a cost of $2,000,000 per arrest.
    That's a hefty price for piece of mind, IMO.
    2 million per arrest is more cost effective than 4.2 million per person for S&R when a plane goes down. USAMS is like the USSSUD; protection isn't measured in arrest it's measured in deterrence, which is incredibly hard to quantify.

Glock Certified Armorer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links