LEO Taser failure video with gunshots

This is a discussion on LEO Taser failure video with gunshots within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It happens right around 1:15 in YouTube and around 11:19:33 on dashcam. Audio comes on when the squad car stops. YouTube - Cop Kills Wild ...

Thread: LEO Taser failure video with gunshots

LEO Taser failure video with gunshots

It happens right around 1:15 in YouTube and around 11:19:33 on dashcam. Audio comes on when the squad car stops.

YouTube - Cop Kills Wild Man In Bridge Fight complete footage

Just a reminder that sometimes taser deployments fail and you better have a Plan B, C, D, etc.
    I can no longer keep track of threads as I used to. If you need to contact me, PM me instead of asking me something in the thread. Disclaimer - No legal advice issued anywhere. Take care.

2. Remove Ads

That's why I'm all for when it's one LEO vs. a non-compliant BG, they should be able to draw their sidearm instead of utilizing the Taser, even if they keep it pointed at the ground. Things happen too fast if the Taser doesn't work. But of course nowadays you've got to coddle the BGs to appease the public.

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Tasers are not flawless. A .40 or .45 caliber slug is sometimes the better option. Not sure who shot the BG the Uniform or the Detective.
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    I'm glad to see Officer Anderson make it out with minor injuries. Scary situation for sure.

It was nice to see the detective jump in there and help out. Thinking back to the other thread, this is one of those instances where I'm sure that officer would of been happy to see anyone helping him out.

Quote Originally Posted by digitalexplr View Post
    Tasers are not flawless. A .40 or .45 caliber slug is sometimes the better option. Not sure who shot the BG the Uniform or the Detective.
    According to the article attached to the video the shot was fired by Officer Anderson and not the detective. The detective probably didn't have a good shot with the BG on top of the officer.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by carryad View Post
    That's why I'm all for when it's one LEO vs. a non-compliant BG, they should be able to draw their sidearm instead of utilizing the Taser
    They can. Even the cops themselves forget that.
    "Just blame Sixto"

here is the story:

The following footage is graphic and contains adult language and violence. It is of the shooting death on Centennial Bridge of Steven Mallory on July 31. The footage shows the confrontation and Mallory's death. The footage is from inside Davenport police officer Cliff Anderson's vehicle. The footage is courtesy of the police department.

A man with a history of violence is dead and an officer is injured after a shooting Friday morning on the Centennial Bridge.

Steven Tyrone Mallory, 39, of Davenport, died after he was shot by Davenport police officer Clif Anderson about 11:20 a.m., Police Chief Frank Donchez said. Anderson, 41, is recovering from his injuries.

The incident began when the Davenport officer stopped the suspect in the middle of the bridge to question him regarding an assault 15 minutes earlier at the Cafe on Vine coffee shop, a free meal site at 932 W. 6th St., officials said.

The victim of the assault was a 53-year-old Scott County man who was volunteering at the cafe. The volunteer was hit on the head and taken to Genesis Medical Center-West Central Park, Davenport, for treatment of injuries. A citizen followed the suspect to the Centennial Bridge.

Anderson, a 14-year veteran of the force, crossed the bridge, turned around in Rock Island and then returned to talk to Mallory in the middle of the span.

Anderson told Mallory to get down on his knees several times, orders that Mallory did not heed, according to police officials and video released Friday. The officer deployed his Taser, which appeared to have no effect on the suspect because one of the two prongs missed him and the electrical connection was not completed, Davenport police Capt. David Struckman said.

Mallory then attacked Anderson, punching the officer, biting the officer's face and slamming the officer's head against the concrete, officials said. The suspect was on top of the officer and choking him when East Moline police Det. Jim Weakley arrived on the scene.

The Davenport police officer unholstered his gun and shot the suspect, Donchez said. Officials declined to say how many times the suspect was shot. They released a portion of the video taken from the police car. However, officials chose to stop the video portion before the shooting occurred.

Police said they believed Mallory was unarmed.

Both men were taken to Genesis Medical Center, East Rusholme Street, Davenport. Mallory died there. Anderson was released after treatment of injuries to his head and torso.

VIP Member
    Azchevy thanks for the story. I had seen this video before and didnt think both probes hit there mark. Tasers are generally very effective at least with our experiences. Each of my officers had a taser issued to them and we did not ever have a failure to comply or stop in over 100 uses but the officers were very well trained in the deployment of the tasers also.
    I was a taser instructor for years and lost count at the number of rides I took and all I know is it hurt each and every time and I had no will to get hit again when it was over.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

mkh
    I wonder if a Taser gives a false sense of security and thus the officer may rely too much/often on it instead of going to his gun.

Any thoughts?

VIP Member
    Not a false sense of security so to speak. In the video the officer did not really have justification to make a felony type stop, I think the suspect was involved in a fight at a soup kitchen type place but would all depend on dept policy and such.
    A taser or any other LTL device is not used in place of deadly force or drawing your weapon however lets say two officers confront a suspect armed with a knife. One would/could deploy with a taser or bean bag gun and the other provides lethal force cover should the other not work.
    From my experience and we all have different ones the tasers were a great deterrent. The BG knew we had them and would use them willingly to avoid the laying on of hands or other methods. It was always hell on the out of town folks or those that did not know what they were though everyone else would egg them on just to watch them take the ride.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

mkh
    Thanks for the insight.

Tasers came after I hung up the badge so I have no experience with them. In my day it was mace and night stick or gun.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mkh View Post
    Thanks for the insight.

Tasers came after I hung up the badge so I have no experience with them. In my day it was mace and night stick or gun.
    On a practical level, the Taser has replaced chemical mace. My agency actually never used chemical mace, but did adopt OC spray. Though OC is still an option, it is very rarely carried by any of us, at my PD, since the Taser became a mandated item for the duty belt.

I have a love-hate relationship with the Taser. It has come in very handy a few times, but does not always work effectively, and as I am mandated to wear it in a crossdraw fashion, on the opposite side of my body from the duty pistol, I worry about snatch attempts; I mean R-E-A-L-L-Y worry about snatch attempts.

Links