Ft Hood shooter's Article 32

This is a discussion on Ft Hood shooter's Article 32 within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ft. Hood shooting suspect solemn, quiet in hearing - Roanoke.com Ft. Hood shooting suspect solemn, quiet in hearing Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan is a Virginia ...

Thread: Ft Hood shooter's Article 32

VIP Member

Ft Hood shooter's Article 32

Ft. Hood shooting suspect solemn, quiet in hearing - Roanoke.com

Ft. Hood shooting suspect solemn, quiet in hearing
    Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan is a Virginia Tech graduate who once lived in Vinton.

FORT HOOD, Texas -- Wearing his Army uniform and sitting solemnly in a wheelchair, the psychiatrist accused of gunning down 13 people at Fort Hood made his first court room appearance Tuesday where his attorneys won a delay in his case.

Maj. Nidal Hasan did not speak much at the hearing, mostly answering questions about the proceedings with a soft: "yes sir."

His attorneys sought a delay in his hearing because they needed more time to review reams of documents they recently received and they still need other key documents like the FBI ballistics report on the Nov. 5 shooting.

The Article 32 hearing, which is similar to a civilian grand jury proceeding in which a judge hears witness testimony to determine whether the case should go to trial, is set for Oct. 4.

Before Tuesday's one-hour hearing, Hasan was flanked by military police as he rolled his wheelchair into the courtroom and up to the defense table. Hasan, who was paralyzed after being shot by military police the day of the shootings, answered "yes, sir" or "I understand, sir" when asked if he understood his rights, if he had read the charges against him and if he knew his right to a speedy trial.

He is charged with 13 counts of premeditated murder and 32 counts of attempted premeditated murder in the worst shooting on a U.S. military post.

Col. Michael Mulligan, the lead prosecutor, objected to the delay and said prosecutors would be ready to proceed in July.

Col. James L. Pohl, a military judge who is acting as the investigating officer in the Fort Hood shooting case, said that during the Article 32 hearing, he planned to call the 32 injured victims as witnesses. He also said authorities had not decided whether to seek the death penalty.

If convicted, Hasan could be sentenced to death only if the military jurors determine there is an aggravating factor, according to military law. Last month, prosecutors sent a notice to defense attorney John Galligan listing one aggravating factor in the case: that more than one person was killed in the same incident.

Experts have said prosecutors would not send such a notice unless they planned to seek the death penalty.

While Tuesday's hearing was the second for Hasan, it is the first time he's appeared in a Fort Hood courtroom. His initial hearing - two weeks after the shootings - was held in his hospital room at San Antonio's Brooke Army Medical Center.

Hasan was treated at the San Antonio facility until his April transfer to the Bell County Jail, which houses military suspects for nearby Fort Hood. The military justice system does not have bail for defendants.

"He also said authorities had not decided whether to seek the death penalty."

OTOH -- "Experts have said prosecutors would not send such a notice unless they planned to seek the death penalty." So why not up front about it???
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

I'd say he's a real good candidate for the death penalty!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Yep, I believe you are right.

And if they portray him as an Islamic terrorist, there's another aggravating factor for the death penalty.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I don't know. If you portray him as an Islamic terrorist and you kill him, it means he's a martyr. Let him poop in a bag for the rest of his life--preferably in a third-world jail cell.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

There are presently several folks on death row at the Disiplinary Barracks located at Leavenworth. The US military has not executed anyone since 1961. In July, 2008; president Bush authorized the execution of a military member but it never happened.

Bush OKs Execution for Army Private on Death Row - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig 210 View Post
    There are presently several folks on death row at the Disiplinary Barracks located at Leavenworth. The US military has not executed anyone since 1961.
    In one way that might be better in this case. No quick execution to set him up as a martyr in the eyes of others, and himself -- yet a long time (hopefully the rest of his life, however it ends) sentence with the uncertainty/potential of being executed at some point, sooner or later.

But who know how his mind works.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    So did they ever figure out who shot him?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Can I volunteer for the firing squad? I will provide my own weapon and ammo. I'd have to think about what type of ammo to use though. A few small caliber rounds or just one larger one.

Let's leave religion out of it. He is a traitor and murderer. Then if you factor in the terrorist element, there is no reason this scumbag should still be breathing our air.
    Don't tread on me or mine.
    I am comfortable laying on a rock in the sun; bothering no one. If you choose to ignore the above statement, you will wish all you had to do, is deal with a snake.

I am still trying to figure out why, with so many witnesses and victims, that someone did not finish the job same day.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jackson85746 View Post
    Can I volunteer for the firing squad? I will provide my own weapon and ammo. I'd have to think about what type of ammo to use though. A few small caliber rounds or just one larger one.

Let's leave religion out of it. He is a traitor and murderer. Then if you factor in the terrorist element, there is no reason this scumbag should still be breathing our air.
    Put me in too. Be happy to join you. I'll bring my RRA LAR-15. I'll even use 5.56mm instead of .223 caliber for that special occasion.

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Herknav View Post
    I don't know. If you portray him as an Islamic terrorist and you kill him, it means he's a martyr. Let him poop in a bag for the rest of his life--preferably in a third-world jail cell.
    Don't portray him as a terrorist, portray him as a traitor to this country. Firing Squad. I've never been in the military, however, I think I may enlist to have a shot at that duty!.

On that note, thank you to all who have served so that free Americans still have the choice wether to server or not.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Any other volunteer's to join the firing squad for this POS ?

He'll get the death penalty, whether the Judge orders it or not. Can you imagine his chances the minute he enters a military or Federal prison ? I doubt an isolation cell will even protect him.

Links