Border agents bust fake deputy, find pot in truck

This is a discussion on Border agents bust fake deputy, find pot in truck within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Border agents bust fake deputy, find pot in truck By Dane Schiller - Express-News Web Posted: 06/02/2010 11:03 They've disguised themselves as movers, mail couriers, ...

Thread: Border agents bust fake deputy, find pot in truck

By Dane Schiller - Express-News Web Posted: 06/02/2010 11:03

They've disguised themselves as movers, mail couriers, repairmen and now, even lawmen.
    Drug traffickers are getting so much bolder and creative that a man recently was snared in South Texas dressed as a sheriff's deputy and driving a pickup outfitted with emergency lights and painted to look convincingly official.

Almost.

The truck caught the attention of border agents last week who noticed the decals were a bit different than those used on the Webb County Sheriff's Office vehicles, said Jason Darling, spokesman for the Border Patrol's Laredo Sector.

“There were subtle differences,” Darling said. “They were able to take one look at it and know something was out of place.”

Stuffed in the cab of the four-door F150 pickup were 1,000 pounds of marijuana, according to the Border Patrol, which made the arrest northeast of Laredo.

The driver, Oscar J. Garcia, was headed to Houston wearing a security guard badge with his uniform but no gun, according to the arrest affidavit. He has been charged with drug trafficking in federal court in Corpus Christi.

“I have nothing to say to you all,” he reportedly told agents when arrested.

The words “Webb County Sheriff” and “911” blazed from the side of the truck, complete with a fake serial number on the tailgate. Authorities confirmed their suspicions that the truck was a fake by contacting the Sheriff's Office, which said it didn't have any trucks in the area.

“This was not only a cloned vehicle, but a uniform was part of this,” said Webb County Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Maru De La Paz, adding that there's no way to know how many other fake police ruses traffickers might be using.

“It could be a sheriff, could be (Department of Public Safety), could be anything out there. Law enforcement agencies are paying attention,” she said.
    Previous smuggling attempts have included disguising drivers to look like express-mail company employees, oil field workers and Texas state government employees.

“We take it as desperation from smugglers,” Darling said, “the lengths smugglers will go to move their contraband into the United States.”

2. Remove Ads

Close the borders. it is the only way.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Close the borders. it is the only way.
    Well...repealing prohibition would be another.

Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

-- L. Neil Smith

We should legalize all drugs, and make them available for real cheap, and let everyone who is so inclined overdose at their own speed and be done with it! No more druggies, no more drug dealers, no more drugs, no more drug problems. They would just self-eliminate themselves from the population!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    We should legalize all drugs, and make them available for real cheap, and let everyone who is so inclined overdose at their own speed and be done with it! No more druggies, no more drug dealers, no more drugs, no more drug problems. They would just self-eliminate themselves from the population!
    Natural Selection!!!
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

+1

This has been my position for years. Take the profit motive out of drugs and the problem goes away.

We do need to put an iron tight seal on the border however. Anyone wanting to come to this country should have to do it legally.

Legalize Pot it will save the taxpayers some headaches.
    Bushmaster XM15 E2S Shorty
    Walther P99 .40 S&W
    Romanian WASR GP 10/63
    Remington model 700 30-06
    Savage Model 62 .22lr
    Glock 19 gen 3 TALO

Quote Originally Posted by 9mmPro View Post
    Legalize Pot it will save the taxpayers some headaches.
    How so? Say we legalize pot and try to tax it..... it is too easy to grow and it will still create an underground.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    How so? Say we legalize pot and try to tax it..... it is too easy to grow and it will still create an underground.
    It would be the same as moonshine. Yes you can grow it, but the majority of the users are going to go the legal route which will deal a huge blow to the cartels. Why risk jail time or a ticket when you can go to 7-11 and pick it up.

VIP Member
    ^^^A popular opinion^^^^^^^

I somewhat agree,,,BUT
    I think a reason it hasn't happened is that there is no viable way to TAX it. People will be growing it at home.The government would HATE that. Also, IMHO, there seems to be a passsion on the goverments part to run as many people through the Criminal Injustice system for some reason. Possibly to reinforce the idea and the notion percieved by the public that there is a need for large police forces, at the local and federal level.??
    Hope I'm wrong but hey?
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    ^^^A popular opinion^^^^^^^

I somewhat agree,,,BUT
    I think a reason it hasn't happened is that there is no viable way to TAX it. People will be growing it at home.The government would HATE that. Also, IMHO, there seems to be a passsion on the goverments part to run as many people through the Criminal Injustice system for some reason. Possibly to reinforce the idea and the notion percieved by the public that there is a need for large police forces, at the local and federal level.??
    Hope I'm wrong but hey?
    The fact that it is legal to make beer or wine at home has not put a crimp in the tax revenues generated by retail spirits. Why do you think pot would be different? Most people will go to retail stores rather than to grow their own.

Michael

It's not cheap to brew, nor is it cheap to grow.

People brew as a hobby. Hobbies cost money, as we all know all to well.

I have 2 vices. Coffee and Cigarettes. I could grow both of my own plants if I wanted, but I'm lazy and find it easier to just run over to the local grocery and get my supply there.

Back on topic...

I'm surprised that they actually went through the effort to try to make a copy of a LEO unit, rather than just steal one and remove all doubt (baring changing the unit number).
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Links