US Army Suppressing Soldier's 2nd Amendment Rights, OFF Base (Merged) - Page 4

US Army Suppressing Soldier's 2nd Amendment Rights, OFF Base (Merged)

This is a discussion on US Army Suppressing Soldier's 2nd Amendment Rights, OFF Base (Merged) within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So are you saying that the following is no longer in effect? APVR-RUPM DEPARTMENT THE ARMY HEADQUARTERS, ARMY ALASKA 724 SERVICE LOOP FORT RICHARDSON, ALASKA ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    VIP Member
    So are you saying that the following is no longer in effect?

APVR-RUPM
    DEPARTMENT THE ARMY
    HEADQUARTERS, ARMY ALASKA
    724 SERVICE LOOP
    FORT RICHARDSON, ALASKA 99505-5000
    21 FEB 06
    MEMORANDUM FOR SEE DISTRIBUTION
    SUBJECT: Concealed Weapons Policy (CG/CofS Policy #0-20)
    1. Carrying concealed deadly weapons by USARAK Soldiers represents a significant risk to the
    safety and welfare of this command. Accordingly, all Soldiers assigned or attached to USARAK
    are prohibited from carrying a concealed deadly weapon in public places off of all USARAK
    posts. All persons are prohibited from carrying concealed deadly weapons on USARAK posts
    IAW USARAK Regulation 190-1.
    2. Definitions:
    a. Carry means on or about the person, or uncased within the immediate vicinity of the
    person, so as to be available for immediate use, e.g. in the person's automobile.
    b. Deadly weapon means any fiream or anything designed for or capable of causing death
    or serious physical injury.
    c. Concealed means hidden from plain view.
    d. Firearm means a weapon, including a pistol, revolver, rifle, or shotgun, whether loaded or
    unloaded, operable or inoperable, designed to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive
    charge or primer.
    e. Public place means a place to which the public or a substantial group of persons has
    access. This includes locations involved in the sale of alcoholic beverages, highways,
    transportation facilities, schools, places of business, places of amusement, parks, playgrounds
    and prisons. It also includes hallways, lobbies, and other portions of apartment houses and hotels
    not constituting rooms or appartments designed for actual residence.
    3. This policy is punitive. Soldiers who fail to comply with the requirements of this policy are
    subject to adverse administrative action and/or punishment under the Uniform Code of Military
    Justice.
    CHARLES H. ACOBY
    Major General, USA
    Commanding
    DISTRIB UTION:
    A
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I'm not in AK nor the service any longer, so I can't say. Seeing as it's a memorandum dated 2006, it may or may not be in effect. If so, I find it hard to believe no one has challenged this before. I certainly would have, as I don't see CC anymore dangerous that a bunch of 18-yr-olds with loaded automatic weapons.

I believe memorandums are only effective under the issuing commander, and must be re-issued by any subsequent commander. But I'm not sure. I still feel this is an issue with an individual (the general), not a Constitutional Rights issue, and should be addressed as such. Generals have been known to back down before.

Any military lawyers out there got an answer?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I'm not in AK nor the service any longer, so I can't say. Seeing as it's a memorandum dated 2006, it may or may not be in effect.
    I believe memorandums are only effective under the issuing commander, and must be re-issued by any subsequent commander. But I'm not sure. I still feel this is an issue with an individual (the general), not a Constitutional Rights issue, and should be addressed as such. Generals have been known to back down before.

Any military lawyers out there got an answer?
    A check shows that Maj. Gen. William J. Troy assumed command of U.S. Army Alaska in September 2009.

So, if you are right it is no longer in effect,
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Early in my career, I learned not to take the word of even the old-timers in regards as to what the rules and regulations said. I found the info given to me orally by the "experts" to be incorrect in the majority of cases. I didn't make E-8 by listening to what others told me was gospel.

>SNIPPERS!<
    Also known as "Trust, But Verify". Taught to me by a past Supervisor/Mentor. Works well, but some folks feel a bit insulted by it on occasion. I know that I used to - 'til I discovered that information I had passed on was out-of-date....
    Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #12-751

If guns kill people, then:
    Pincels miss spel werds;
    Cars make people drive drunk;
    And spoons made Rosie O'Donnel fat.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    A check shows that Maj. Gen. William J. Troy assumed command of U.S. Army Alaska in September 2009.

So, if you are right it is no longer in effect,
    Big IF... My "AF" experience is that every incoming CO has to sign off on any regs and/or policies established by the previous regime and reissue same under his or her name.

Usually a commander's term of command is no more than 2-3 years before moving on to (hopefully) bigger and better positions. Let's hope MG Troy has a more level head than his predecessor. If so, the entire discussion here may be null and void (love that phrase!). I find it hard to conceive that any officer would deny any soldier the right to self-protection when not under the army's direct control. But that's one of the reasons I chose Air Force "dining facilities" over Army MREs.

ANY USARAK personnel out there that can kick in with the latest and greatest status of the memorandum in question?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member

If so, the entire discussion here may be null and void (love that phrase!). I find it hard to conceive that any officer would deny any soldier the right to self-protection when not under the army's direct control.
    Yup.

On the other hand, Senator James Inhofe served in the House from 1987 until 1994, and has served in the Senate from 1994 and who currently serves on the Committee on Armed Services -- and might be privy to some information we are not aware of (e.g., DOD's actual thoughts in response to Ft Hood, as apposed to the mainstream media's speculation). That is what the political appointees would do as apposed to what any level-headed officer would would do relative to any soldier's the right to self-protection when not under the army's direct control.

I think I remember that the Ft Hood shooter lived off base.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    That checks with what I found. I know for a fact (as in, I have seen both letters with my own eyes) that it was signed by Jacoby and his successor, Layfield. I also know that it is in the current Arctic Warrior Standards that you link from the USARAK home page. Go to www.usarak.army.mil. Click on "USARAK Home" in the upper left corner. Click on "Arctic Warrior Standards" in the drop-down menu. Go to page I-6. This proves I'm not just typing random crap into a quote box.

I am away from work this week, so I can't check from a .mil computer to see if there's anything newer there.

Trust but verify is fine. It just came across as, "there's NO way this is possibly true." That's a bit different than "Got a link?"
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

US Army Suppressing Soldier's 2nd Amendment Rights, OFF Base

NRA-ILA :: Sen. Inhofe Introduces Legislation To Protect Second Amendment<br>Rights Of Military And Dept. Of Defense Civilian Personnel

Sen. Inhofe Introduces Legislation To Protect Second Amendment
    Rights Of Military And Dept. Of Defense Civilian Personnel

Friday, May 28, 2010

Over a period of some months, NRA members in the Armed Forces have called NRA's attention to the fact that certain military base commanders, exercising arbitrary authority given them under military law and regulations, have issued orders violating military personnel's Second Amendment rights. In a particularly egregious example, Fort Riley, Kansas, has imposed a preposterous regulation that, among other things, (1) requires the registration, with Fort Riley, of its soldiers' privately-owned firearms kept off-base, and those of the soldiers' family members residing anywhere in Kansas, (2) prohibits soldiers who have firearm-carrying permits from carrying firearms for protection off-base, and (3) authorizes unit commanders to set arbitrary limits on the caliber of firearms and ammunition their troops may privately own.

Concurrently, following the multiple shooting on Fort Hood last year, allegedly committed with one or more firearms brought onto the base in violation of base regulations, the Department of Defense (DOD) began working on a regulation that, among other things, would require military commanders to require troops to register privately owned firearms kept off-base, and authorize such commanders to require troops living off-base to keep privately-owned firearms and ammunition locked in separate containers, the latter a restriction of the same type as, but more restrictive than, a law struck down by the Supreme Court in District of Columbia v. Heller (2008). The D.C. law, the Court concluded, "makes it impossible for citizens to use [firearms] for the core lawful purpose of self-defense and is hence unconstitutional."

To nullify existing military orders and regulations that violate certain Second Amendment rights of military and civilian DOD personnel, and to preempt other orders and regulations of the sort, Sen. Jim Inhofe (R-Okla.) has introduced an amendment to the National Defense Authorization Act. Sen. Inhofe's amendment, adopted on May 27 by the Senate Armed Services Committee:

- States that "[T]he Secretary of Defense shall not prohibit, issue any requirement relating to, or collect or record any information relating to the otherwise lawful acquisition, possession, ownership, carrying, or other use of a privately owned firearm, privately-owned ammunition, or another privately-owned weapon by a member of the Armed Forces or civilian employee of the Department of Defense on property that is not owned or operated by the Department of Defense."
    - Nullifies military orders and regulations of the types the amendment prohibits
    - Requires DOD to destroy all gun ownership records of the types the amendment prohibits
    - Preserves DOD's authority to "regulate the possession, carrying, or other use of a firearm, ammunition, or other weapon" by personnel on-duty or in military uniform
    - Preserves DOD's authority to "create and maintain records relating to an investigation, prosecution, or adjudication of an alleged violation of law (including regulations) not prohibited by the amendment, including matters related to whether a member of the Armed Forces constitutes a threat to himself or others."

Administrator
    Interesting article. Welcome to the forum.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Thank-you. You would think that after Ft. Hood the Army would have gone the other direction. If soldiers were allowed to conceal carry stateside in uniform on and off post, that incident would have turned out differently. As a defender of all enemies, "foreign and domestic" I am trusted to employ an arsenal of weapons in Iraq and Afghanistan but can not even slip a P-32 into my pocket or vehicle when going to work in garrison. I'm surprised more BG's don't take advantage of this fact. It's only a matter of time before soldiers will start to be openly targeted and will have no way to defend themselves.

I read about this on another post. I still cannot find where they have the authority to do this off-post. All authorities of commanders off post stem from one regulation/law or another. Contrary to popular belief, they can't make up whatever they want to. In other threads, people have mentioned off-limits locations, prohibitions from joining certain groups, etc. There ARE regulations for each of those that define what a commander has to do to declare a place off-limits, or a group as extremists, etc.

I can't find a regulation anywhere authorizing a commander to dictate off-post personal weapons usage, other than to say follow the local laws.

Here is what the manual for courts martial says regarding issuing lawful orders.
    From the MCM, Article 90—Assaulting or willfully
    disobeying superior commissioned officer

[[With regards to lawfulness of the order:]]

(iv) Relationship to military duty. The order
    must relate to military duty, which includes all activities
    reasonably necessary to accomplish a military
    mission, or safeguard or promote the morale, discipline,
    and usefulness of members of a command and
    directly connected with the maintenance of good order
    in the service. The order may not, without such
    a valid military purpose, interfere with private rights
    or personal affairs
    . However, the dictates of a person’s
    conscience, religion, or personal philosophy
    cannot justify or excuse the disobedience of an otherwise
    lawful order. Disobedience of an order which
    has for its sole object the attainment of some private
    end, or which is given for the sole purpose of increasing
    the penalty for an offense which it is expected
    the accused may commit, is not punishable
    under this article.

( v ) Relationshiptostatutory or constitutional rights.
    The order must not conflict with the
    statutory or constitutional rights of the person receiving
    the order.

From the MCM, Article 92—Failure to obey order or
    regulation

[[With regards to lawfulness of the order:]]

(c) Lawfulness. A general order or regulation is
    lawful unless it is contrary to the Constitution, the
    laws of the United States
    , or lawful superior orders
    or for some other reason is beyond the authority of
    the official issuing it. See the discussion of lawfulness
    in paragraph 14c(2)(a).<----refers back to the paragraph above from article 90.
    I'd be curious to know if this commander's legal council approved the order, and what source/authority they used to do so.
    Last edited by MSteve; June 3rd, 2010 at 11:16 AM. Reason: format
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

Of course any army dirtbags (the type who killed the FT. Hood soldiers) will certainly follow those orders......and the other 99.999% of the good soldiers will be forced to suffer being disarmed? I hope not...perhaps this will be shoved up the backside of the commanders giving these kinds of orders.

Our soldiers should not be disarmed at home, or on base...what a disgrace!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I kept my handgun in the dorms for years until I moved off base. The dorms were full of weapons.

I'm sure the rationale is somewhere along the lines of "force protection." Given the high suicide rate of our armed forces, the recent cases of "trust" being played, the dirtbag AQ psychiatrist owning guns without the knowledge of his superiors, and a general mistrust of young people carrying guns, the commander can make the call in the interest of safety. Much the same way they can impose more stringent rules on owning motorcycles, skydiving, bungee jumping, rock climbing, or any other dangerous activities, they can probably impose stricter rules on gun ownership. I disagree with it, but I'd be willing to bet it's perfectly legal.

I think it is a good idea. An example of inappropriate behavior among civilians can be seen in my military town. An innocent child was shot in the head while riding his bike to school. The GI had been fighting with his girlfriend and was out of his head (which is understandable.) But he decided to kill this child in a moment of mental confusion. I know a lot of people are pro-military no matter what. But I only have to see one incident to make up my mind. I don't think we need another. I would have to trust the commanders thinking on this.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links