Question for the LEO's here

This is a discussion on Question for the LEO's here within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was considering applying to my local sheriffs office and was wondering,is having an arrest record an automatic way to be disqualified as an applicant? ...

Thread: Question for the LEO's here

I was considering applying to my local sheriffs office and was wondering,is having an arrest record an automatic way to be disqualified as an applicant?

I ask as I was arrested for two felonies,however the state didn't file any criminal charges against me. I was and am innocent I did not commit this crime.

Also I'm in the process of having my record expunged,although I will divulge my arrest on my application as is required. Is the fact that no criminal charges were filed against me and that my record is being expunged going to help me at all?
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

1911L. No in some departments, yes in others. Most will not DQ you for it, if that is all that shows up. The background check is pretty complete and they will not miss much at all. If that arrest only, and you have a clean history otherwise, you most likely will have an interview. It will come up and you will get a chance to explain it. The last round of applicants we had one guy had an old DUI from several years ago and he made it through and was put on the force.

Administrator
    As long as you are up front and honest about the incident, it should not DQ you.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    As long as you are up front and honest about the incident, it should not DQ you.
    It should not but it could DQ you depending on the department.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

I agree with Sixto, but it really dpends on the officer doing the background, and how they spin it.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by DIABLO9489 View Post
    It should not but it could DQ you depending on the department.
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    I agree with Sixto, but it really dpends on the officer doing the background, and how they spin it.
    Very true on both accounts. That is why I say just be open and up front instead of letting them discover it on their own.

Expect it to be a glitch or bump in the road. The best course of action is to hit it head on.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Usually when questions about "arrest" (an accusation, not a conviction) are posed, a yes answer requires an explanation. That's your opportunity to say all charges were dropped, etc. Open and upfront is the best route. At this point they can only say, "No thanks." To find out afterwards that you concealed the info can be criminal.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I figured it could go either way but thought I'd ask anyways.

I hope it don't DQ me right off the bat,I mean it wouldn't be fair if it did. I'm sure PD's realize that stuff happens and there is a such thing as a wrongful arrest. Mine was just that.
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

Administrator
    Another factor to consider is what the arrest was for, and what is found in your personal history. For example, if the arrest was for dealing drugs and several people from your past tell them you were a big pot head back in the day that could spell DQ rather quick. But, if everybody they talk to say you where a choir boy and never known to dabble in herbs and spices you have a better chance at being OK.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Also from what I have seen it will depend on how many applicants there are and the overall group of applicants. If they have 2 openings and the have 200 apps they may use any "flag" to DQ an applicant. But if they only have 10 and the offense is not recent they may give you a chance to talk. If they do not talk to you the first thime around, see if you can talk to someone on the inside and find out why. It may that they may have two applicnats with some college and military experence as a MP who applied. And try the next time around....

Some Florida counties will allow you to sponser yourself through the criminal justice institute and prior to acceptence will do a basic background check. Check around and see what you come up with there. It is far easier to get employment if you are all ready state certified and shows you are willing to put your time and money where your mouth is. Military service is a plus. Corrections is also a way to get your foot into the door of a sheriff's department. Good luck.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Sponsored Links