cop asked to leave coffee shop...

This is a discussion on cop asked to leave coffee shop... within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Sticks It's a private business. The owner has the right to refuse service to anyone. No different than a business refusing service ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: cop asked to leave coffee shop...

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    It's a private business. The owner has the right to refuse service to anyone. No different than a business refusing service to a citizen that is CC or OC.

Yes it is disgraceful, IMO the owner is an idiot, and should not expect any response/assistance from LEO, or any other uniformed public servant in the future. He does not want LEOs in his establishment, then fine. 911 can place him on the "Block Call" list.

Heck, I'd insist that the owner file an official blanketing restraining order against all city, county, and state police and sheriffs to insure that when something does happen, he has no recourse against the LEOs for not responding.

Plenty of other Cafe's and coffee shops around. No heartburn felt in not being wanted there.
    They can choose not to serve anyone, but they do not have the right or legal authority to kick a public safety official out of a public establishment. It sounds like the officer was on his way out the door anyway, and perhaps he could have cared less about being there anyway.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    FWIW LEOS have a duty/orders to respond to calls for service, so the LEO cannot be 'banned' when he answers a radio call for assistance. If a business owner really wants that LEO to not respond to 911 calls, that is a discretionary decision made by a supervisor. If the business owner does not want LEOs there at all, he can choose to not call 911.

The LEOs should not delay response to a 911 call since other non involved parties will be involved in the incident. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if this genius gets more than his fair share of traffic tickets into the foreseeable future.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    They can choose not to serve anyone, but they do not have the right or legal authority to kick a public safety official out of a public establishment. It sounds like the officer was on his way out the door anyway, and perhaps he could have cared less about being there anyway.
    Actually, they do. It is private property, even though open to the public. If the officer is not there in performance of his sworn duties, his legal exemption under that provision does not apply. Technically, a property owner could post their property to allow civilians with permits to carry firearms on premises but prohibit carry by LEO's, whether on duty or not, if their duty does not require them to be there. Outside the scope of their authority, police officers are private citizens and cannot pick and choose what laws and rights they will follow or obey.

No sworn officer worth his badge is going to refuse a call for help. That in itself is a crime, at least in Tennessee.

Is it smart? Probably not. Has the business owner done anything wrong? Sorry..no.

Before the flames start, yes I am a retired LEO.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly1964 View Post
    Technically, a property owner could post their property to allow civilians with permits to carry firearms on premises but prohibit carry by LEO's, whether on duty or not, if their duty does not require them to be there.
    Oh, I don't think so. Not even in a liberal city like Portland. Leo's also have civil rights. They can not be singled out as a group and discriminated against any more than posting a sign that says No little people allowed. Even the ACLU would jump right on that type of discrimination, on duty or not would make no difference.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by beaker View Post
    i've never met a vegan who made any sense..
    This story is self explanatory. Couldn't have said it any better myself.

-Plop
    "In America, freedom and justice have always come from the ballot box, the jury box, and when that fails, the cartridge box."
    -- Steve Symms, US Senator from Idaho, 1990

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    I thought cops can carry anywhere. Can business owners kick the cops off their business? They are required by their superiors to have a gun with them at all times even off-duty. I just can't believe the cop just left without challenging the request if he is already drinking the coffee he bought.

It's not the gun - hippy types, they don't like "pigs".

Businesses are free to discriminate against anyone they want to for any reason they wish with the exception of a limited set of criteria listed in explicit (civil rights) laws. People are free to avoid businesses that practice non-rational discrimination.

3D
    Thank you Officer James Crooker for your service with professionalism. I personally am very glad I got out of Portland 9 years ago when it was mostly on 23rd street that you found the fruits and flakes and nuts. . . . (I think it's all that rain).
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    From their website:

[I]We strive to provide a community space that is safe and welcoming to all. ...
    Well it's not so safe anymore now that they've kicked the police out.

cop asked to leave coffee shop...
    Mind numbingly, skull crushingly stupid. If this idiot wasn't a sitting duck before he sure is now.

I was in the Golden Corral in Smithfeild ,NC eating with my family about a year ago and 2 sheriffs dep were in uniform eating dinner across from us a customer was so upset that they were wearing guns he called 911 after complaining to manager and reported 2 guys with guns at restraunt the local cops show up in force they all come in and find its sheriffs dep there they were like holy cr@# they take the guy outside for a good lecture I was hoping for a beat down...lol but little did he know I was next to him with a 1911 Concealed eating my popcorn watching the show dinner and a movie...
    "If you want peace, prepare for war." Si vis pacem, para bellum.
    NRA Member - GRNC Member
    Old Paratroopers never die , we just regroup!!
    82nd ABN DIV.. GOD Bless our Troops!!
    Foward Observer 3/505thPIR - A/319thAFAR
    87-91 "Just Cause - Desert Sheild/Storm"

Quote Originally Posted by TomEgun View Post
    I was in the Golden Corral in Smithfeild ,NC eating with my family about a year ago and 2 sheriffs dep were in uniform eating dinner across from us a customer was so upset that they were wearing guns he called 911 after complaining to manager and reported 2 guys with guns at restraunt the local cops show up in force they all come in and find its sheriffs dep there they were like holy cr@# they take the guy outside for a good lecture I was hoping for a beat down...lol but little did he know I was next to him with a 1911 Concealed eating my popcorn watching the show dinner and a movie...
    What if those 2 deputy's were the ones who responded to the 911 dispatch! I can hear the call now..."all units please respond to the Golden Corral, we have reports of 2 gunmen in the restaurant"...These guys would proly jump up, draw and look for someone other than themselves. Rediculous

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TomEgun View Post
    Oh dear lord, what is wrong with people. He was probably afraid the guns were going to jump out of their holsters and start shooting by themselves, because you know that often happens... in fantasy land.

If I was the responding officer he would of gotten an ear full for sure. I wonder if he got cited for making a false 911 call.

Re the above, no comment that I can post.

Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    From their website:

[I]We strive to provide a community space that is safe and welcoming to all. ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman23 View Post
    Well it's not so safe anymore now that they've kicked the police out.
    Not exactly "welcoming to all" either....

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links