New Navy Regs

New Navy Regs

This is a discussion on New Navy Regs within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://www.npc.navy.mil/NR/rdonlyres...0/NAV10196.txt RTTUZYWU REUWMCS0000 1551726-UUUU--RUCRNAD. ZNR UUUUU R 041726Z JUN 10 FM CNO WASHINGTON DC/N09// TO NAVADMIN BT UNCLAS NAVADMIN 196/10 MSGID/GENADMIN/CNO WASHINGTON DC/N09/MAY// SUBJ/PERSONAL FIREARMS// ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Navy Regs

VIP Member

Thumbs down New Navy Regs

http://www.npc.navy.mil/NR/rdonlyres...0/NAV10196.txt

RTTUZYWU REUWMCS0000 1551726-UUUU--RUCRNAD.
    ZNR UUUUU
    R 041726Z JUN 10
    FM CNO WASHINGTON DC/N09//
    TO NAVADMIN
    BT
    UNCLAS
    NAVADMIN 196/10
    MSGID/GENADMIN/CNO WASHINGTON DC/N09/MAY//

SUBJ/PERSONAL FIREARMS//

REF/A/DOC/OPNAV/19APR10//
    AMPN/OPNAVINST 5530.14E CHAP I, NAVY PHYSICAL SECURITY AND LAW ENFORCEMENT
    PROGRAM.//

RMKS/1. MISHAPS INVOLVING PERSONAL FIREARMS HAVE RESULTED IN SERIOUS INJURY
    AND DEATH. IN FY08, AT LEAST 28 ACTS OF SAILOR MISCONDUCT OR SUICIDE OCCURRED
    ONBOARD NAVY INSTALLATIONS, AND ANOTHER 111 SUCH INCIDENTS OCCURRED OFF-BASE;
    26 RESULTED IN DEATH. THIS MESSAGE SUMMARIZES RECENT CHANGES IN POLICY
    INTENDED TO PREVENT THESE TRAGIC MISHAPS.

2. A RECENT REVIEW OF FIREARMS POLICY RESULTED IN UPDATED GUIDANCE FOR THE
    INTRODUCTION, POSSESSION, AND STORAGE OF PERSONAL WEAPONS ONBOARD NAVY
    INSTALLATIONS. REF A ESTABLISHES MINIMUM REGISTRATION AND ACCOUNTABILITY
    REQUIREMENTS, AND DIRECTS INSTALLATION COMMANDING OFFICERS TO ESTABLISH A
    PROCESS FOR THE STRICT CONTROL AND ACCOUNTABILITY OF PERSONAL FIREARMS
    AUTHORIZED ONBOARD NAVY INSTALLATIONS. AN IMPORTANT CHANGE IN POLICY IS THAT
    SAILORS MAY NOW STORE PERSONAL WEAPONS IN CERTAIN LOCATIONS ONBOARD NAVY
    INSTALLATIONS UNDER CAREFULLY CONTROLLED CIRCUMSTANCES AND WITH THE PRIOR
    WRITTEN APPROVAL OF THE INSTALLATION COMMANDING OFFICER.

3. INSTALLATION COMMANDING OFFICERS MAY AUTHORIZE THE STORAGE OF PROPERLY
    REGISTERED PERSONAL WEAPONS IN ON-BASE MILITARY FAMILY HOUSING AREAS
    (INCLUDING ON-BASE PUBLIC-PRIVATE VENTURE (PPV) HOUSING) AND IN EXISTING
    ARMORIES. PERSONAL FIREARMS STORAGE IN OTHER LOCATIONS ON-BASE, SUCH AS
    BACHELOR QUARTERS, AUTOMOBILES, AND WORK CENTERS, IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
    A. PERSONAL FIREARMS MUST BE STORED IN EITHER A LOCKED CONTAINER, A LOCKED
    GUN RACK, OR SECURED WITH AN APPROVED INDIVIDUAL TRIGGER OR CHAMBER-STYLE GUN
    LOCK THAT PREVENTS LOADING OR FIRING. AMMUNITION MUST BE STORED IN A SEPARATE
    LOCKED CONTAINER.
    B. INDIVIDUALS STORING PRIVATELY-OWNED FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION IN ON-BASE
    MILITARY FAMILY HOUSING (INCLUDING ON-BASE PPV HOUSING) WILL ENSURE THEY ARE
    INACCESSIBLE TO UNAUTHORIZED PERSONS AND MINORS.

4. ALL PERSONAL FIREARMS APPROVED BY THE INSTALLATION COMMANDING OFFICER FOR
    TRANSPORT ON A NAVY INSTALLATION SHALL BE TRANSPORTED ONLY AFTER INSTALLATION
    SECURITY HAS BEEN NOTIFIED, THE FIREARMS ARE UNLOADED, AND THEY ARE IN THE
    TRUNK OF THE VEHICLE. IF THE VEHICLE HAS NO TRUNK, THE FIREARM MUST BE
    DISASSEMBLED, OR SECURED WITH A TRIGGER OR CHAMBER-STYLE LOCK, AND STORED IN A
    LOCKED CONTAINER. AMMUNITION WILL BE TRANSPORTED IN A SEPARATE COMPARTMENT
    FROM THE ONE IN WHICH THE FIREARM IS STORED.

5. IN ALL CASES, INDIVIDUALS WILL COMPLY WITH ALL FEDERAL, STATE, AND LOCAL
    LAWS AND REGULATIONS CONCERNING FIREARM OWNERSHIP, POSSESSION, REGISTRATION,
    TRANSPORTATION, AND USE. FURTHERMORE, STATE LICENSE PERMITS TO CARRY CONCEALED
    HANDGUNS ARE NOT RECOGNIZED OR VALID ON NAVY INSTALLATIONS.

6. IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT ALL SAILORS WHO OWN WEAPONS TAKE THEIR
    RESPONSIBILITIES SERIOUSLY AND COMPLY WITH REF A. VIOLATIONS OF THE
    REGULATIONS CONTAINED IN REF A BY MILITARY PERSONNEL MAY SUBJECT THEM TO
    ADMINISTRATIVE AND/OR DISCIPLINARY ACTION UNDER THE UNIFORM CODE OF MILITARY
    JUSTICE. CIVILIAN EMPLOYEES MAY BE SUBJECT TO DISCIPLINARY ACTION OR
    ADMINISTRATIVE ACTION UNDER APPLICABLE CIVILIAN PERSONNEL INSTRUCTIONS.

7. FOR FURTHER CLARIFICATION OF NAVY POLICY ON PERSONAL WEAPONS, REFER TO REF
    A, CHAPTER 0306, PARAGRAPH A-H. NAVY POINT OF CONTACT FOR THIS POLICY IS ERIC
    HAMMETT, OPNAV N46, AT (202) 433-9567 OR E-MAIL: ERIC.HAMMETT@NAVY.MIL.

8. VICE CHIEF SENDS.//
    BT
    NNNN

The things I focused on was The "may issue" aspect in para 2

>>
    AN IMPORTANT CHANGE IN POLICY IS THAT
    SAILORS MAY NOW STORE PERSONAL WEAPONS IN CERTAIN LOCATIONS ONBOARD NAVY
    INSTALLATIONS UNDER CAREFULLY CONTROLLED CIRCUMSTANCES AND WITH THE PRIOR
    WRITTEN APPROVAL OF THE INSTALLATION COMMANDING OFFICER.
    <<

and

"must notify" base "security" before "transport"

in Para 4

>>
    ALL PERSONAL FIREARMS APPROVED BY THE INSTALLATION COMMANDING OFFICER FOR
    TRANSPORT ON A NAVY INSTALLATION SHALL BE TRANSPORTED ONLY AFTER INSTALLATION
    SECURITY HAS BEEN NOTIFIED,
    <<

I anticipate all kinds of hassle growing from those two.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    This sounds very much like the policies that I lived with when living in Post Housing at Fort Lewis and Fort Polk. The "may now store" line reads to me like they (sailors) may NOT have before, which would mean that this policy is an improvement. Unlikely, given the tone of the intro, but still not different than any post I've ever had experience with.

The transportation requirements are similar, though perhaps a bit more restrictive...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

VIP Member
    Well the good news is that you only have to notify security. It does not say anything about obtaining approval.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

The USAF already has a similar policy in-place. They recently relaxed commanders approval nor notification of Security Forces to move the weapon.
    Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #12-751

If guns kill people, then:
    Pincels miss spel werds;
    Cars make people drive drunk;
    And spoons made Rosie O'Donnel fat.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Well, at least it is not like the route the Army is taking right now in light of the Hassan shooting at Ft. Hood. I don't even carry my guns to the base or live on base. The Army regs right now are giving their unit commanders discretion in having their members getting their guns registered even if they are stored off-base or living in off-base housing.

When I got Ft Bliss I was registering my firearms with the Provost Marshal. The sheet only had 5 spaces, so I asked for another sheet. When the girl asked if I messed up I told her no I just have a lot of guns. A few minutes later she actually said something about liking a man that could handle his gun! HAHA, I just told her my wife can handle them pretty well too!

^^^That is funny no matter who you are.

I agree and disagree with military firearm registration. On post yes, off post no. But the military is a different beast, Officers and NCOs need to know about their Soldiers. I always have a question about POWs on my leader info sheet. That stays between the Soldier and myself.

The Army regs right now are giving their unit commanders discretion in having their members getting their guns registered even if they are stored off-base or living in off-base housing.
    Not exactly. The US Army requires soldiers who live off post to register any guns the soldier brings onto the post for hunting or target practice. If the soldier does not bring his guns on post no registration is required.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Storm View Post
    Well, at least it is not like the route the Army is taking right now in light of the Hassan shooting at Ft. Hood. I don't even carry my guns to the base or live on base. The Army regs right now are giving their unit commanders discretion in having their members getting their guns registered even if they are stored off-base or living in off-base housing.
    Do you have a cite for this?? (USALASKA notwithstanding--as that is regional)...

The problem is enforcement...how are they going to know if someone reports all of their firearms...I have a huge problem if this is true.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

The Air Force already has pretty much the same rules minus #4. When I lived on base my guns had to be locked up all the time and if I took them out of my house to go shooting we had to go straight off-base, (no personal use of on-base range), and when we got back we had to go from the gate straight home to lock them up again. I recently bought a house off base, so I don't even have to register now.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    When I was stationed at Eielson AFB, AK, we used to leave base housing with firearms in a simple case and drive to FT. Wainwright to shoot at the skeet/target ranges there--no questions asked. Ah, the good old days! When service members were treated like adults.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by charlie1826 View Post
    The Air Force already has pretty much the same rules minus #4. When I lived on base my guns had to be locked up all the time and if I took them out of my house to go shooting we had to go straight off-base, (no personal use of on-base range), and when we got back we had to go from the gate straight home to lock them up again. I recently bought a house off base, so I don't even have to register now.
    Same here (when I was CONUS)
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Sounds like same rules to me (1985-2006).....got caught with a gun in my barrack room after going shooting (targets & watermelons--1988), no big deal, but MAA made sure I took it back to the armory..same for base in Cali.

Lived in base housing later on at Whidbey Island, same-same....ok in base housing, just register it, keep the registration card handy, and lock it up.

The only thing about this NAVADMIN that is curious is the statements "PRIOR WRITTEN APPROVAL OF THE INSTALLATION COMMANDING OFFICER. and
    3. INSTALLATION COMMANDING OFFICERS MAY AUTHORIZE THE STORAGE OF PROPERLY
    REGISTERED PERSONAL WEAPONS IN ON-BASE MILITARY FAMILY HOUSING AREAS.

These make it seem less than automatic, like some people could be denied permission. For me, it was always an easy task, go to the armory at a new base, register and be done with it, never gave a thought that I could be denied permission.
    Last edited by soonershoote; June 11th, 2010 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Clarify shooting in 1988....
    S&W M&P 9c
    Ruger LCR + P (.38)
    Kahr PM9
    Taurus M851 (.38)

Dave, 18 year Navy here.....retirement just around the bend too.......:)

I made a copy for home the second we got it, but..............

after a quick review(looking-up the regs) and double-checking with our base security, nothing really changed. Those are still the same rules I've lived with for the past 18 years.

When it came in....I'm the radioman, I see it all first....I was expecting a 'few changes' but I've read none in this current NAVADMIN. I think part of the reason this msg. was released was to reiterate this stuff to the troops after the "Fort Hood" group finished thier "study".....but no real changes at all.

Living off base is a wonderful thing.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    In general, I never had a problem with base firearm regs--their house, their rules. But when they try to extend to off-base, off-duty conditions, then the line needs to be drawn.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    Dave, 18 year Navy here.....retirement just around the bend too.......:)

I made a copy for home the second we got it, but..............

after a quick review(looking-up the regs) and double-checking with our base security, nothing really changed. Those are still the same rules I've lived with for the past 18 years.

When it came in....I'm the radioman, I see it all first....I was expecting a 'few changes' but I've read none in this current NAVADMIN. I think part of the reason this msg. was released was to reiterate this stuff to the troops after the "Fort Hood" group finished thier "study".....but no real changes at all.

Living off base is a wonderful thing.
    Only time I ever lived on base was when I was at "A" school or TAD to some service school out of state. Other than that, I have loved on base for most of my Navy career. 15 years and counting as of now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links