Hold at All Costs: Outpost Harry and a true Hero

This is a discussion on Hold at All Costs: Outpost Harry and a true Hero within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; When I was a boy we use to go visit my Great Uncle in Northeast Alabama and I would often talk to his neighbor Mr ...

Thread: Hold at All Costs: Outpost Harry and a true Hero

Senior Moderator

Hold at All Costs: Outpost Harry and a true Hero

When I was a boy we use to go visit my Great Uncle in Northeast Alabama and I would often talk to his neighbor Mr Mize. My Great Uncle was a WWII vet and I knew that Mr. Mize was really Col. Mize and he was a war hero and Green Beret.

Now boys being boys I always thought that this bit about the hero was made up fanatsy by us and not an actual fact.

Today I heard the following story : Hold at All Costs

Which led me to the following: Outpost Harry

Units receiving the Distinguished Unit Citation for their performance on Harry were King Company, 15th. Infantry Regiment for the night of June 10/11, Baker Company, 15 Infantry for the night of June 11/12, Able Company, 5th. RCT for the night of June 12/13 and Peter Company, Greek Battalion for the night of June 17/18. In the annals of United States Infantry history it appears that this is the only time this many rifle companies received this distinguished award for an engagement of this type. Also recognized for valor and heroism was Sgt. Ola Mize, of King Co., 15th. Infantry Regiment. who was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor for his actions of the night of June 10-11th, 1953.
    and MOH citation:
    CITATION: “Sergeant Ola L. Mize, a member of Company K, 15th Infantry Regiment, 3rd Infantry Division, distinguished himself by conspicuous gallantry and outstanding courage above and beyond the call of duty in action against the enemy near Surang-ni, Korea, on 10-11 June 1953. Company K was committed to the defense of “Outpost Harry,” a strategically valuable position, when the enemy launched a heavy attack. Learning that a comrade on a friendly listening post had been wounded, he moved through the intense barrage, accompanied by a medical aid man, and rescued the wounded soldier. On returning to the main position he established an effective defense system and inflicted heavy casualties against attacks from determined enemy assault forces which had penetrated into trenches within the outpost areas. During his fearless actions he was blown down by artillery and grenade blast three times but each time he dauntlessly returned to his position, tenaciously fighting and successfully repelling hostile attacks. When enemy onslaughts ceased, he took his few men and moved from bunker to bunker, firing through the apertures and throwing grenades at the foe, neutralizing their positions. When an enemy soldier stepped out from behind a comrade, prepared to fire, Sergeant Mize killed him, saving the life of his fellow soldier. After rejoining the platoon, moving from man to man, distributing ammunition and shouting words of encouragement, he observed a friendly machine gun position overrun. He immediately fought his way to the position, killing ten of the enemy and dispersing the remainder. Fighting back to the command post, and finding several friendly wounded there, he took a position to protect them. Later, securing a radio, he directed friendly artillery fire upon the attacking enemy’s routes of approach. At dawn he helped regroup for a counter-attack which successfully drove the enemy from the outpost. Sergeant Mize’s valorous conduct and unflinching courage reflect lasting glory upon himself and uphold the noble traditions of the military service.”
    Colonel Mize has also been awarded these medals:

Bronze Star - Good Conduct with Two
    Loops - National Defense Service - Korean
    Service with Two Bronze Stars - United
    Nations Service.
    He went on to become a Green Beret Colonel so the stories where not made up and I have actually played catch with a Medal of Honor winner.

Here is a film documentary to be released about the battle . : HOLD AT ALL COSTS : .
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

2. Remove Ads

What a great honor for you to know this gentleman. A true HERO. I salute him!!!!
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

God bless him and all who served with him!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Wow...That was a really great read!

What good fortune for you to have known such a great human being.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Thats great, thanks for sharing.

PGrass, you are indeed blessed.

Biker

Courageous man
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

What a great read, thanks for sharing.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Links