U.S. closes part of Arizona to Americans

This is a discussion on U.S. closes part of Arizona to Americans within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; More fox news fear mongering Violence Prompts Strong Warning At Ariz. Monument...

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 165

Thread: U.S. closes part of Arizona to Americans

  1. #76
    Ex Member Array azchevy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Oceanfront Property
    Posts
    3,850

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #77
    VIP Member Array zacii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    arizona
    Posts
    3,749
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

    "A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

  4. #78
    Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    ky.
    Posts
    1,890
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    A sign that says, "travel is not recommended" isn't the same thing as the place being closed.
    It is certainly not the same thing as what some of the headlines scream, that the US has ceded territory to Mexico.

    I'm not saying the place is safe. I'm not saying more can't be done to make it safe.

    What I am objecting to is using a several years old limited placement of warning signs to create an exaggerated climate of fear in the present.

    Sure, send the Marines. Carpet bomb it with napalm if that will make you guys happy. Its only 5 square miles.

    I like the tag line used by DC member Gilraen: "Those who believe things without evidence will believe anything."
    Why do you have such a dislike for all things Arizonaian?

  5. #79
    VIP Member
    Array Hopyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Disappeared
    Posts
    11,631

    re: zacii

    Replaying the exaggerated report really doesn't help deal with what is actually going on.


    From my post above: " Bream [The FOX commentator] welcomed Pinal County Sheriff Paul Babeu who furthered the suggestion that the refuge had been recently closed. Babeu said, "It's literally out of control and violence has increased just in the last four months."

    Bream didn't mention that the refuge is not in Babeu's jurisdiction.

    Bream falsely added, "We're talking about something that's north of Tucson, I mean, 80 miles away from the border." Perhaps she was referring to Pinal County but the refuge is not only along the border, that's where the closure is. A media advisory from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service states,"

    Problems can't be solved when their magnitude isn't correctly understood, or when their magnitude is exaggerated. This isn't the first time, and I'm sure it won't be the last when this particular sheriff has gone on tv to talk about things in parts of AZ which are quite far removed from his jurisdiction.

    Again, DC member Gilraens tag line says it all, ""Those who believe things without evidence will believe anything."

    I've scoured Google news and can find no news reports about this alleged closure that didn't originate from that one Fox report.

    Maybe we should be asking US Fish and Wildlife what the story is.

    Again, I'm not saying things are rosy. I'm not saying there isn't a problem. I'm just saying the claim of the US ceding territory to Mexico is ridiculous.

  6. #80
    Member Array reinhold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Catamount Tavern, Vermont
    Posts
    72
    Fear mongering. That one has gotten a lot of play lately, almost as good as "Astroturf".

    Propaganda 101 - when met with resistance, cry out "fear monger!".

    Don't listen to them or be frightened little girl, we'll protect you from harm, keep you warm, and you won't be scared in this lovely concentratrion camp.
    I know what you're thinking: "Did he fire six shots or only five?" "Is that a Smith & Wesson 686+ 7 shot or 627 8 shot?" "Does he have a concealed Sig P226 SCT and two spare mags?" You've got to ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?

  7. #81
    VIP Member
    Array Hopyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Disappeared
    Posts
    11,631

    re: 21bubba--don't assume things

    Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    Why do you have such a dislike for all things Arizonaian?
    Actually I don't dislike Arizona.

    Don't jump to conclusions that just because I disagree with some things that some Arizonans post, means I don't like Arizona.

    It means only that I disagree on the issue I am writing about.

  8. #82
    VIP Member Array Harryball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Lansing Mi
    Posts
    7,075
    Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    Make it a free fire zone and I'll go.
    Then after
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

  9. #83
    VIP Member
    Array 64zebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Panhandle of Texas
    Posts
    6,440
    Hopyard......I understood the "claim" of US ceding territory to Mexico meaning that we just put up signs saying "hey you need to stay out due to the outlaws in this area that we aren't doing anything about"

    of course we haven't officially given any territory back, just in theory since we're not doing anything about it

    that is a fact and the area is large
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

    "I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

    Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

  10. #84
    Senior Member Array Sig35seven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,115
    FOX news made a fictitious story out of this. I have no doubt that the signs are real and the problem is real. We certainly need to get this problem under control. However, FOX made completely false statements including... "Obama gave parts of Arizona to Mexico" is a ridiculous inflammatory statement that is designed to enrage and incite anger in people.

    This type of story is pure hype designed by FOX to get viewers to watch their shows. The angry right wing sit salivating like Pavlov's dog for the next tasty pack of lies and FOX knows it. (BTW...Nazis will be marching down your street soon according to Glenn Beck so be sure to tune in.)

    I'm shocked how gullible people are. (This includes the left wing.) The far right takes anything FOX says and then, without any question, swallow it hook line and sinker. They run with it and spread the message as if it were gospel. Hate mongering at its best. I don't believe this is a good thing for our country.

    I don't know about the rest of you but when someone tells me outright lies I will lose my trust in them. I'll take what they say in the future with much more scrutiny. Again, that goes for both Left and Right news sources However, I find FOX to be the most egregious offender.

  11. #85
    Ex Member Array azchevy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Oceanfront Property
    Posts
    3,850
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    FOX news made a fictitious story out of this. I have no doubt that the signs are real and the problem is real. We certainly need to get this problem under control. However, FOX made completely false statements including... "Obama gave parts of Arizona to Mexico" is a ridiculous inflammatory statement that is designed to enrage and incite anger in people.

    This type of story is pure hype designed by FOX to get viewers to watch their shows. The angry right wing sit salivating like Pavlov's dog for the next tasty pack of lies and FOX knows it. (BTW...Nazis will be marching down your street soon according to Glenn Beck so be sure to tune in.)

    I'm shocked how gullible people are. (This includes the left wing.) The far right takes anything FOX says and then, without any question, swallow it hook line and sinker. They run with it and spread the message as if it were gospel. Hate mongering at its best. I don't believe this is a good thing for our country.

    I don't know about the rest of you but when someone tells me outright lies I will lose my trust in them. I'll take what they say in the future with much more scrutiny. Again, that goes for both Left and Right news sources However, I find FOX to be the most egregious offender.

    Actually when a governor of a state and a county sheriff BEG you for troops to combat an invasion and you sit back and do nothing you technically ceded that territory to criminals, in this case illegal Mexican cartels. How many more citizens and cops need to get shot?

    So technically Obama, and Bush before him by ignoring repeated calls for help, ceded that territory.

    Please, read more of Fox News lies

    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010...fying/#content

  12. #86
    Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    ky.
    Posts
    1,890
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    FOX news made a fictitious story out of this. I have no doubt that the signs are real and the problem is real. We certainly need to get this problem under control. However, FOX made completely false statements including... "Obama gave parts of Arizona to Mexico" is a ridiculous inflammatory statement that is designed to enrage and incite anger in people.

    This type of story is pure hype designed by FOX to get viewers to watch their shows. The angry right wing sit salivating like Pavlov's dog for the next tasty pack of lies and FOX knows it. (BTW...Nazis will be marching down your street soon according to Glenn Beck so be sure to tune in.)

    I'm shocked how gullible people are. (This includes the left wing.) The far right takes anything FOX says and then, without any question, swallow it hook line and sinker. They run with it and spread the message as if it were gospel. Hate mongering at its best. I don't believe this is a good thing for our country.

    I don't know about the rest of you but when someone tells me outright lies I will lose my trust in them. I'll take what they say in the future with much more scrutiny. Again, that goes for both Left and Right news sources However, I find FOX to be the most egregious offender.
    I too am shocked, by two things. One that fox is trying to get people to watch their shows. And two, that people who are not in Arizona believe this problem is being blown out of proportion.

  13. #87
    Senior Moderator
    Array MattInFla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    4,857
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    FOX news made a fictitious story out of this. I have no doubt that the signs are real and the problem is real. We certainly need to get this problem under control. However, FOX made completely false statements including... "Obama gave parts of Arizona to Mexico" is a ridiculous inflammatory statement that is designed to enrage and incite anger in people.

    This type of story is pure hype designed by FOX to get viewers to watch their shows. The angry right wing sit salivating like Pavlov's dog for the next tasty pack of lies and FOX knows it. (BTW...Nazis will be marching down your street soon according to Glenn Beck so be sure to tune in.)

    I'm shocked how gullible people are. (This includes the left wing.) The far right takes anything FOX says and then, without any question, swallow it hook line and sinker. They run with it and spread the message as if it were gospel. Hate mongering at its best. I don't believe this is a good thing for our country.

    I don't know about the rest of you but when someone tells me outright lies I will lose my trust in them. I'll take what they say in the future with much more scrutiny. Again, that goes for both Left and Right news sources However, I find FOX to be the most egregious offender.
    All that aside, the Sheriff there has pictures posted on his website of foreigners under arms on US soil. If you've another definition of invasion, I'll be interested to hear it.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

  14. #88
    VIP Member
    Array OldVet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Posts
    16,142
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Then after
    Now, now, now! You know guns and alcohol don't mix.
    Make sure you use up all your ammo before !!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

  15. #89
    VIP Member Array Rollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    3,007
    Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    All that aside, the Sheriff there has pictures posted on his website of foreigners under arms on US soil. If you've another definition of invasion, I'll be interested to hear it.
    So If I grab a gun and go to Canada does that mean the U.S is invading Canada? What If I take 10 friends? 20? 100? What if a bunch of drug dealers from Detroit run drugs into Canada while armed, does that mean the U.S is invading Canada?

    Don't get me wrong, I think we should employ the military to deal with these people but we need to use them to do it because all other parties involved seem to be ill equipped to deal with, NOT because it's a invasion.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

  16. #90
    Senior Member Array Sig35seven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,115
    Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    All that aside, the Sheriff there has pictures posted on his website of foreigners under arms on US soil. If you've another definition of invasion, I'll be interested to hear it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    I too am shocked, by two things. One that fox is trying to get people to watch their shows. And two, that people who are not in Arizona believe this problem is being blown out of proportion.
    Listen...WE ARE ON THE SAME TEAM. I'm in total agreement that this is a HUGE problem that needs to be addressed ASAP. I think it's moving much too slowly. We are in total agreement. I would like to see the Army put into action.

    What I'm saying is FOX reported a story that had many false statements that was manufactured to create headlines. They lied. Once again they fire up the viewers to gain ratings. They made the story much more inflammatory.

    #1. Biggest lie... Obama is "giving a major strip of the U.S back to Mexico"

    #2. Closing the park all along the U.S. border

    #3. "Closed the park 3 counties deep. Well into Arizona." "Closed North of Tucson 80 miles deep."

    None of these statements are true and did nothing more than cause chaos. Look what happened here. It worked just as they planned.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Ouch- Oil closes at $100.01
    By MnemonicMonkey in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: February 20th, 2008, 10:23 AM
  2. Virginia governor closes gun loophole
    By raysheen in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: May 2nd, 2007, 08:50 AM
  3. Part Range Report, Part Ammo Question - Rossi .38spl
    By Joshua M. Smith in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: March 7th, 2007, 11:38 AM
  4. city closes loophole?
    By raevan in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: October 13th, 2006, 04:30 PM