Officer Punches Teen: MERGED

This is a discussion on Officer Punches Teen: MERGED within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; LEO out numbered and trying to control situation. Seattle officer punches girl in face during jaywalking stop | KOMO News - Breaking News, Sports, Traffic ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Officer Punches Teen: MERGED

LEO out numbered and trying to control situation. Seattle officer punches girl in face during jaywalking stop | KOMO News - Breaking News, Sports, Traffic and Weather - Seattle, Washington | Local & Regional
    If the "Ladies" had done as asked none of this would have happened. The road they crossed is a major thoughfair the cars are going fast and not looking for people. They are lucky He showed that must restraint. When an Officer tells you to do something, don't just walk away and get pissed when he goes after you and makes you listen to him.

I would rather try to handcuff a six foot 200 pound man any day of the week then a woman. I don't blame him for punching her at that point in time. People might say don't hit a woman or a lady but she was not acting like either so she deserved it.

That officer showed a pretty cool head considering he was outnumbered. I would have punched her too.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Attitude on both sides could use some improvement.

How simple would it have been for the girls to just talk to the cop calmly and then use the crosswalk? End of story. No like the rest of my generation (unfortunately) they think they are the most important people in the world and can do whatever they want. The way I see it they turned a simple j-walking talk to/citation into resisting arrest and assault on a police officer.
    Did he need to straight up punch her? Maybe not but I wasn't there, all I know is what was on the video and to me it looks like they were assaulting him. J-walking may be a "dumb" law but its there for a reason, and no matter what the law is if you show the LEO the respect he deserves then he will usually give you respect in return.
    Also is anyone else thinking the NAACP gets involved? It wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie1826 View Post
    How simple would it have been for the girls to just talk to the cop calmly and then use the crosswalk? End of story. No like the rest of my generation (unfortunately) they think they are the most important people in the world and can do whatever they want. The way I see it they turned a simple j-walking talk to/citation into resisting arrest and assault on a police officer.
    Did he need to straight up punch her? Maybe not but I wasn't there, all I know is what was on the video and to me it looks like they were assaulting him. J-walking may be a "dumb" law but its there for a reason, and no matter what the law is if you show the LEO the respect he deserves then he will usually give you respect in return.
    Also is anyone else thinking the NAACP gets involved? It wouldn't surprise me one bit.
    Only a matter of time until they try to spin this incident into something it is not
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Did you hear the camera guy? He was calling out...what it wasn't...he could have used a punch, too. Hey, if there being handed out...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Total lack of respect for law enforcement. I agree with the cop punching her. I didn't see if he had a taser on his belt or not, but even if he did he only had a split second to respond to what was now two people fighting him, so I don't blame him for doing what he needed to do to get the situation under control. Feel bad for the LEO for having to deal with that whole situation without backup, could've turned ugly with that crowd. Hats off to him for restraining himself and not taking her to the ground, though he would've been completely justified for slamming her. I'm thinking the only reason he didn't do so is that he didn't want to compromise his safety by being on the ground with other hostile people standing over him.
    Funny thing about people who disrespect LEOs is that they are always the first to call 9-1-1 whenever they need anything, however trivial their need may be.

Geez what is their problem? why did people get so worked up when they are doing something wrong and a cop tries to talk to them about it?

i hate to rain on the parade but you can get more gun for the money....might not be as tiny but, unless you wear skinny jeans and tight shirts, you can conceal another gun fairly easy.
    I'd love to see something that backs this up,...I see it all the time.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Hats off to the LEO for keeping his cool.
    Did he call for back up at some point either before, of after the vid was shot? Seems awefully dangerous for a single officer to be in that position.
    SA Loaded 1911
    XD45 Service
    XDs45

This is terrible...
    ...For the LEO.

Here he is doing a job and it is the right job considering the specific conditions.
    He happens across a quad of persons that are actively belligerent.
    Soon to be escalated by one among them who become verbally abusive and threatening, which in and of itself as related to a LEO being the subject is an arrestable offense. She goes from being passively resistant (being slow and/or refusing to do what is verbally told) to being actively resistant whihc by SOP training requires the LEO to go hands on. He does and to my eye he shows great restraint at this.

The secondary attempts to intervene which in and of itself was stupid.
    In that process she then puts hands on the officer, too. Fatal error...That is assault of a peace officer AND interference with arrest. Both very much arrestable crimes, worst than simply resisting arrest as is now the prior.

The rest is a downward spiral of neighborhood crusaders talking smack.
    He was good to himself remain calm in the midst of statements from those others such as "Let's smash him!" and to now have multiple hostile male potential threats within his immediate circle.

My only criticism to this item is that IMHO, the LEO should have not danced as long and hard as he did with either one of these women.
    State twice comply....If they refuse then do so stating once more comply or there will be additional consequence.
    If they refuse then well they signed their name on the dotted line as in a verbal contract of sorts. You get what you buy.

Next item without warning would be stream OC to the face, eyes and mouth.
    Shut'em _both_ down right then and there.

Call for backup and take it from there.

He could have and would have by standard training been allowed to do so and/or even to employ his baton toward either one of these active resistant persons.
    That he choose to not deploy any tools at all and to remain hands on as well as talking calmly to the arrestees as well as the peanut gallery too, shows me that he himself was quite restrained.

The National Institute of Justice among basically all other orgs of LEO training and policy support same, and would view this LEO as having acted properly at a minimum.

The Use-of-Force Continuum | National Institute of Justice

Because though the average citizen is _not_ aware of LEO use of force training and policy, they think that as long as they do not 'strike' an officer then well they are okay and that the LEO is to be "nice" to them.
    His even using his own body weight to slam her against the hood and fender of his car is a method of hard restraint against an actively resistant person. That is a manner of method not being 'mean', as one off-camera heckler had noted.

Being a LEO is tough work.
    Not enviable.

- Janq

P.S. - This also is to me a very good and visual example of why I personally believe it is absolutely ridiculous a subject to broach muchless discuss when civilians talk of themself going hands on so as to attempt restraint of some random 'BG'.
    Chasing people through buildings, down streets and along alleyways...In hope to do what, exactly?!
    Commonly males AND females resist arrest with great violence as toward a LEO and even multiple LEOs even as they know in the immediate there is pretty much no chance to get away.
    Yet civilians at gunfu forums including here comment of how they will/would chase down some person and attempt to restrain them for the police to arrive, or even to apply a 'Citizens Arrest' (!). At a thread I saw here yesterday or the day before there was discussion of restraining a home invader(burglar who attacks as when the residence is occupied). Poppycock. Ain't no way in hell I'm going hands on with anybody about nothing. Those days are gone.
    Now days people will head butt, head stomp and/or attempt to rear naked choke you to death in a heart beat...Without thought (!). No thank you.
    You either get shot with something liquid (OC/CS) or solid (projectile), and/or I go upon my merry way. Period.
    I don't have time nor energy to go Wrestlemania as this LEO did,being a civilian. Nor would it be wise to do so.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    I saw 2 women that needed to be hit, at least the man involved was trying to pull that one woman away. DISGUSTING that people think they can behave that way towards police.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Quote Originally Posted by Free American View Post
    I saw 2 women that needed to be hit, at least the man involved was trying to pull that one woman away. DISGUSTING that people think they can behave that way towards police.
    Really. He should have banged their heads together.
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

This was a dangerous situation for the officer, that IMO he handled well. This could have gotten worse beyond belief, a DUI arrest was the catalyst for the 65' Watts riot.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    i give him a lot of credit for keeping a cool head...the camera man was calling people off to keep a rolling docmentary of the girl getting abused and i think he didnt realize what he was documenting was person resisting arrest instead...

i'm sure the officer wanted to escalate force but was not really in a position with all of the unfriendlies around to do so without possible retalliation...this could have gone real bad for him...the camera might have been his saving grace in this situation...

how hard is it to just talk to an officer?....

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links