A Bad Week for the Mullahs

A Bad Week for the Mullahs

This is a discussion on A Bad Week for the Mullahs within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; From National Review Online Omar, Bravo! A very bad week for Iran. By Michael Ledeen The mullahs have had a lot of bad news in ...

Thread: A Bad Week for the Mullahs

Exclamation A Bad Week for the Mullahs

From National Review Online

Omar, Bravo!
    A very bad week for Iran.

By Michael Ledeen

The mullahs have had a lot of bad news in recent days — news with a particularly sinister aura, in fact. So sinister that they must be asking themselves what they have done to incur the Divine wrath.

I kid you not.

First is the loss of one of their terrorist stars, Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, the deus ex machina of the terror war against us in Iraq. Not only does that deprive the mullahs of a prime instrument for generating civil war — his constant incitement to the Sunnis to rise up against the Shiites was the cutting edge of their three-year program to turn major Iraqi ethnic and religious groups against one another — but it is a serious blow to recruitment throughout the terror network. It is as bad for them as the beheading videos were good. Potential jihadis want to do the beheading, not suffer the consequences of 500-pound bombs. The quick Iranian deception, pretending they were pleased at the death of Zarqawi, shouldn’t fool anybody. They have lost a basic building block of the terror structure.

Second is the worldwide campaign against terror cells, many of which were linked to Zarqawi, or to Iran itself. Some of the Canadians now in jail in Ontario had been in contact with Zarqawi, and the cell in Sarajevo had longstanding ties to Tehran.

Third is this ominous line from al-Reuters on the occasion of President Bush’s jaunt to Baghdad:
    BAGHDAD, June 13 - U.S. President George W. Bush told Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki in Baghdad on Tuesday Iran’s “interference” in Iraq must end, said Iraqi government sources who attended the talks.

Can it be that, at long last, we are going to take steps against the mullahs to save the lives of our fighters and the Iraqi civilians who have been targeted by the terrorists who are armed and manipulated by the Iranians and the Syrians? Faster, please.

But that is nothing compared to the clear message from On High on the soccer fields of Germany. No, I’m not talking about the demonstrations against President Ahmadinejad, I’m talking about the Mexican victory over Iran in the first round of the World Cup.

With the game tied 1-1, a Mexican player named Omar Bravo scored for Mexico, which went on to win 3-1. That name, Omar Bravo, sends chills down the spines of the mullahs. “Bravo” is a universal plaudit, enthusiastic praise for the person to whom the “bravo” is directed. And Omar? Well...Omar is the most hated name in the Shiite lexicon, the symbol of the forces of evil, the incarnation of satanic influence on earth.

And why? Because after the death of the Prophet, Mohammed’s son in law, Ali (the husband of Mohammed’s daughter Fatima) was fighting to become the leader of all Muslims. Ali lost out to Omar Bakr and to Omar, his close adviser and successor as Caliph. To this day, the Shiites believe that Abu Bakr and Omar usurped Ali’s rightful inheritance as ruler of Islam. Not only that, but during the succession struggle Omar burst into Ali’s house, crushing the pregnant Fatima behind the door, leading to the stillbirth of her son. And although Ali formally accepted the elevation of Abu Bakr, and then Omar, the Shiites still speak of Omar with intense hatred. In Iran today, one of the harshest things you can say about another person is Iaanat be’Omar, cursed by Omar.

To a devout Shiite of the sort that governs Iran today, the defeat of the Iranian national team by somebody named Omar Bravo cannot be easily dismissed as a random event. It cannot possibly be a coincidence (it is hard for Iranians to believe that anything is a coincidence), and it is most certainly a terrible augury. Many Iranians will interpret it as a message to the mullahs: just as Ali was defeated by Omar, so your doom has been signaled by a modern Omar. And that “bravo,” can it be an accident? No way.

As I said, tough times for the mullahs. Very tough.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; NRA Endowment Life; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

VIP Member
    Good news to me.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar

Mullahs

Sounds good to me!!!

Senior Moderator
    Its time! That on top of the "enrichment" statement last weekend that signaled a potential "softening" on Iran's nuclear position? I thought it was merely prevarication as per SOP, but...?

A bad week for the Mullahs, indeed.

"He went on two legs, wore clothes and was a human being, but nevertheless he was in reality a wolf of the Steppes. He had learned a good deal . . . and was a fairly clever fellow. What he had not learned, however, was this: to find contentment in himself and his own life. The cause of this apparently was that at the bottom of his heart he knew all the time (or thought he knew) that he was in reality not a man, but a wolf of the Steppes."

Excellent news, matey!

:fahrzeug034:

Some days you get the brass ring, some days you get the horn. It is about time the mullahs got the horn.

Interesting read. Had a bunch of cultural stuff I hadn't heard before. I just hope their "luck" holds.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

How is the loss of Zarquawi detrimental to the Iranians or the Shiites? He was their principal opponent in Iraq's factional power structure/struggle. I guess if they were counting on him to incite larger-scale civil war which they planned on winning, it might be a bit of a bummer, but all in all, why wouldn't they be happy to lose him?

The interesting thing to me about Zarquawi is (was, heh) his al-queada affiliation. AQ has been unique in its attempts to alleviate the historical sunni-shi'ite divide in the face of larger Western globalization. For Bin Laden to throw his weight behind a factionalist punk like Zarquawi speaks of an interesting short-term opportunism in the face of his broader goals.

Anyhow, good we got him, but it's really just a minor tactical step. I'm glad the administration didn't make too much of this, because the war will continue without much pause despite this. Hopefully, he won't be replaced by someone more competent. He was sort of a jackass...

AX

PS- About the 'Omar' thing...again, might be a bummer, but the faithful of all stripes have the unique ability see tragedy, hardship, and misfortune as tests of faith, rather than signs that they're jacked up. See the book of Job, et. al. Insh'allah...

VIP Member

A bad week for the Mullahs...

"I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Plus the Russian zapped one of their biggest opponents in Chechnya, a old Taliban war hero surrenders in Afghanistan, Brits capture the "administer" of the AQ Internet site, another 45 Tally's killed in Afghanistan. Another top Cleric taken out in Iraq. I was amazed CNN actaully reported this morning that the US had opened up a bunch drinking wells so people in Iraq can have clean water. Of course they had to temper that with the statment that 40% of the project are not complete.

The real Quagmire is sorting through what's left of the bad guys and the leader dejour. I see the AQ didn't want to give the exact name of their new leader in Iraq, guess he is a little nervous.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin
    ...I see the AQ didn't want to give the exact name of their new leader in Iraq, guess he is a little nervous.
    I'm sure it would be grounds for his insurance company to cancel his term life policy immediately

Thanks, Colin...good post
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Thanks for posting that up. I enjoyed that; and the replies too for that matter!

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links