MIA US Marine identified from WWI

This is a discussion on MIA US Marine identified from WWI within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Defense.gov News Release: Marine Missing in Action From World War I Identified Marine Missing in Action From World War I Identified The Department of Defense ...

Thread: MIA US Marine identified from WWI

MIA US Marine identified from WWI

Defense.gov News Release: Marine Missing in Action From World War I Identified

Marine Missing in Action From World War I Identified

The Department of Defense POW/Missing Personnel Office announced today that the remains of a U.S. serviceman, missing in action from World War I, have been identified and returned to his family for burial with full military honors.

U.S. Marine First Sergeant George H. Humphrey of Utica, N.Y., will be buried on Wednesday at Arlington National Cemetery. On Sept. 15, 1918, Humphrey participated in the first U.S.-led offensive of the war under the command of Gen. John J. Pershing. The battle with the Germans became known as the St. Mihiel Offensive. There were 7,000 Allied losses during this offensive and it was the first use of the American use of the term “D-Day” and the first use of tanks by American units.

Humphrey, a member of the U.S. 6th Marine Regiment, attached to the Army’s 2nd Infantry Division, was killed in action during the battle and his remains were buried by fellow Marines the next day. In October 1919, a Marine who witnessed the death wrote a letter to Humphrey’s brother recounting the attack near the village of Rembercourt. He included a map of his recollection of the burial site.

Attempts to locate Humphrey’s remains by U.S. Army Graves Registration personnel following the war were unsuccessful. In September 2009, French nationals hunting for war relics found artifacts near Rembercourt-sur-Mad they believed to be those of a World War I American soldier. A month later, a team from the Joint POW/MIA Accounting Command excavated the area, recovering human remains and military-related items including a marksman’s badge with Humphrey’s name engraved on the back.

Among other forensic identification tools and circumstantial evidence, scientists from JPAC laboratory also used dental comparisons in the identification of the remains.

2. Remove Ads

Great for the family...

VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

VIP Member
    Excellent. I've known folks that work for the POW/MIA identification/recovery units, and they are truly tireless in their efforts to bring everyone back. Welcome home, First Sergeant.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    How did they ID a body that old? Thats crazy! I'm sure the family has figured by now he wasn't coming back home. Sad. R.I.P. and welcome back, First Sergeant

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Welcome home sir! And thank you for the fact that I'm typing this in English.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

God Bless him and all who served and died with him! Welcome home First Sgt.!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Welcome home First Sergeant....R.I.P.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Thanks for his service and sacrifice. I'm glad the family have whatever remains they could find and can now put him to rest in a place that they know... honors him.

This sort of thing really does matter. It gives a peace of mind to Marines (and those in other branches I'm sure), that they know someone will always come back for them, and at the very least their family will get them back, even if it takes a little while. But Marines don't quit until everything is done right, and here is a true showing of "Semper Fidelis"
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Welcome home, U.S. Marine First Sergeant George H. Humphrey.
    R.I.P.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Men in combat will do many brave things for their country and buddies,all they hope for is to be returned to the US for burial if they make the ultimate sacrifice.May he rest in peace
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Welcome home Marine.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Good for the family, welcome home.

Welcome Home Top!
    KAHR CW45, RIA 1911 Officer, S&W Sigma 9MM, Savage 1907 .32cal(BUG)

Links