Should McCrystal be fired?

This is a discussion on Should McCrystal be fired? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by shockwave The bottom line is that it doesn't matter who's running the show over there. We need some kind of exit strategy ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Should McCrystal be fired?

VIP Member

Exit strategy

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    The bottom line is that it doesn't matter who's running the show over there. We need some kind of exit strategy where we can declare mission accomplished and stop wasting troops and money in that hellish rat pit. The article isn't really about the general, it's about the mission that is turning into Apocalypse Now-style craziness.
    Exit strategy. Finally kill OBL and Mullah Omar. Declare victory.

Short of capturing and killing those two turkeys nothing we do will have a look of success.

Now, capturing and killing those two won't bring democracy to Afghanistan. It won't diminish the religious lunacy of the Taliban. It won't make the Karzai government stabile and non-corrupt. It won't keep future terrorists from re-establishing. But, it will allow a decent enough reason to depart.

Our purpose going there was in the first place to displace the Taliban Government and to capture OBL. We have achieved the first objective; but it is a hard one to hold on to that achievement.

OBL, well I don't know what to think. Dead? Living in Munich? Toronto? NYC?

I figure if he is alive somewhere, he is in a big city, wearing a business suit, and engaged in ordinary commercial banking. Hiding in plain sight as it were. Maybe we are turning over the wrong rocks.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I do not have a strong view either way with regard to what has just happened, but I do strongly disagree with the implication made in your use of the phrase, "Nothing about the President there...." above.

The oath requires its taker to "faithfully discharge the duties of office," and amongst those duties, CLEARLY to be understood by all, is obedience to the CIC.

Over a variety of threads in this forum we have had one person or another pop up to advocate various secondary oaths, disobedience to orders, and disrespect for the civilian leadership. Aside from those things being thoroughly illegal, the suggestion that they are OK somehow, is dangerous.

There are always people who won't distinguish between their real obligations and the ones falsely implanted in their minds by internet critics of whatever administration happens to be in place.

Talk or writing as this above, is dangerous to our democracy and our nation.
    The officer's oath does require obedience to the CIC as long as those orders are not contrary to the Constitution. This is not relevant to this particular situation but it is what it is. The fact that the officer's oath allows officers to think for themselves within limitations is one of the things that protects our democracy and our nation. The fact that they are not required to blindly obey the orders of the President is one of deterrents to a President issuing illegal orders.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    The officer's oath does require obedience to the CIC as long as those orders are not contrary to the Constitution. This is not relevant to this particular situation but it is what it is. The fact that the officer's oath allows officers to think for themselves within limitations is one of the things that protects our democracy and our nation. The fact that they are not required to blindly obey the orders of the President is one of deterrents to a President issuing illegal orders.
    Thanks mcp....this was going to be my response...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    Yes he should have been fired…What do I think of Obama and his administration….If you were to say that he was slow roasting small children in the fire place in the oval office I would probably agree with you.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    When an Aministration censures, fires, or chastises a Commanding officer for speaking the truth, they need to take a look at themselves and ask why he thinks like he does.

We have come to the point that speaking the truth will get you fired.

Well Said!
    Boze
    "If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to, this is the last stand on earth." Ronald Reagan

"Gentlemen, Prepare to defend yourselves" SGM Basil Plumley

As a 3 star told me years ago, military General's are no longer troops, they have become, in every sense of the word, politicians within ANY administration.

The General voiced his opinion, which was not tolerated by his CIC. The perogative of the CIC is to relieve the General, whcih he did.

I'm not a fan of the current Administration, but as the CIC, it was his call. All politics aside.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links