Should McCrystal be fired?

This is a discussion on Should McCrystal be fired? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As I'm sure many of you have heard, he has been called to Washington for a face to face with Obama tomorrow for apparently making ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Should McCrystal be fired?

Should McCrystal be fired?

As I'm sure many of you have heard, he has been called to Washington for a face to face with Obama tomorrow for apparently making ill remarks toward the administration.

Should he be fired or should he be scolded and allowed to go back in service?
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

2. Remove Ads

I dont even think he should be scolded.

Yes, he should be fired...he violated the Uniformed Code of Military Justice, and common sense...

And let me add here, I detest the current Administration...but I love the military and cannot stand seeing senior leaders violate regulations...

Article 88 of the UCMJ prevents a commissioned officer from speaking the way he did...

Excerpt from Article 88 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice:

“Any commissioned officer who uses contemptuous words against the President, the Vice President, Congress, the Secretary of Defense, the Secretary of a military department, the Secretary of Transportation, or the Governor or legislature of any State, Territory, Commonwealth, or possession in which he is on duty or present shall be punished as a court-martial may direct.”

Elements.

(1) That the accused was a commissioned officer of the United States armed forces;

(2) That the accused used certain words against an official or legislature named in the article;

(3) That by an act of the accused these words came to the knowledge of a person other than the accused; and

(4) That the words used were contemptuous, either in themselves or by virtue of the circumstances under which they were used. Note: If the words were against a Governor or legislature, add the following element

(5) That the accused was then present in the State, Territory, Commonwealth, or possession of the Governor or legislature concerned.

Secondly, as a former officer, I can tell you he never should have spoken that way in front of his junior officers...AND NOT IN FRONT OF A REPORTER...

IMHO, General McChrystal is one of the best...but what kind of example would this set for everyone else if he's allowed the get away with violating the UCMJ when an NCO, for example, can be kicked out for drinking alcohol in Afghanistan...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

He should be fired. You don't criticize the commander in chief even if he doesn't have a clue. Then McChrystal should walk out with his head held high and write a book.
    What I don't understand is that McChrystal says he VOTED for Obama. That makes me question his judgement.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    The UCMJ was created in part to keep those with knowledge from speaking out against the idiot politicians who couldn't manage a Cub Scout outing much less a war.
    The original idea was to keep the military under civilian administration and prevent a military takeover of the country. However since Truman, certain politicians have taken it to mean that they are armchair Napoleons by virtue of their position.
    Can you imagine the state of affairs if Roosevelt had micromanaged WWII? I can just see him explaining strategy to MacArthur and Eisenhower.
    Last edited by rstickle; June 23rd, 2010 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Removed "political"comentary
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Lets see, who else's mouths got them in trouble?

Patton.....

MacArthur......

I don't think I would mind too much being lumped in with those guys.
    Get him a handler and keep him away from the reporters.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

VIP Member
    While I have no use for the White House resident, or any of his staff. General McChrystal violated the oath he took at commissioning. For that reason his firing would be deserved. This is not the first time he has been in trouble for opening his mouth at the wrong time, he should have learned when he didn't get canned the first time. Nothing in his job requires him to like or approve of the decisions made by those above him, his job is to advise and then follow those orders. If he can't do it, or support those in command above him, it is time to retire.

I retired in 94. I could have gone another 2 years, but with Clinton in office, I could not in good faith support my leader.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Administrator
    Be cautious in not crossing the line into political commentary. The thread will be closed if it goes that way.

Now for my own comment; I understand that the General violated rules. He should be punished for that. He should have never given that interview in the first place. He is a fighting man, not a silver tongued politician. True fighting men speak the truth and don't let politics influence their opinions.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveJay View Post
    Yes, he should be fired...he violated the Uniformed Code of Military Justice, and common sense...

And let me add here, I detest the current Administration...but I love the military and cannot stand seeing senior leaders violate regulations...

Article 88 of the UCMJ prevents a commissioned officer from speaking the way he did...

Excerpt from Article 88 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice:

“Any commissioned officer who uses contemptuous words against the President, the Vice President, Congress, the Secretary of Defense, the Secretary of a military department, the Secretary of Transportation, or the Governor or legislature of any State, Territory, Commonwealth, or possession in which he is on duty or present shall be punished as a court-martial may direct.”

Elements.

(1) That the accused was a commissioned officer of the United States armed forces;

(2) That the accused used certain words against an official or legislature named in the article;

(3) That by an act of the accused these words came to the knowledge of a person other than the accused; and

(4) That the words used were contemptuous, either in themselves or by virtue of the circumstances under which they were used. Note: If the words were against a Governor or legislature, add the following element

(5) That the accused was then present in the State, Territory, Commonwealth, or possession of the Governor or legislature concerned.

Secondly, as a former officer, I can tell you he never should have spoken that way in front of his junior officers...AND NOT IN FRONT OF A REPORTER...

IMHO, General McChrystal is one of the best...but what kind of example would this set for everyone else if he's allowed the get away with violating the UCMJ when an NCO, for example, can be kicked out for drinking alcohol in Afghanistan...
    The rule abider in me says yes but my gut says he should stay on to finish the job he started. I think he is a good man who doesn't play adhere to Washington etiquette. He may be rough around the edged but he is well suited for the mission and for that reason I want him to stay.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    As I'm sure many of you have heard, he has been called to Washington for a face to face with Obama tomorrow for apparently making ill remarks toward the administration.

Should he be fired or should he be scolded and allowed to go back in service?
    I say, give him a medal and a raise.

EW3
    As much as I am not an Obama fan, he's still the Commander-In-Chief of the US Armed Forces. He cannot allow this sort of insubordination to happen.

By this time tomorrow, McCrystal will be gone.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

According to Time Magazine, McChrystal has submitted his resignation...

It's now up to the president to accept or reject that submission...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Senior Moderator
    When an Aministration censures, fires, or chastises a Commanding officer for speaking the truth, they need to take a look at themselves and ask why he thinks like he does.

We have come to the point that speaking the truth will get you fired.

That's all I've got to say that is fit for this forum.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by DaveJay View Post
    According to Time Magazine, McChrystal has submitted his resignation...

It's now up to the president to accept or reject that submission...
    I think he'll accept it, he's probably going to get real good at accepting resignations. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if many others in our Military don't follow suit shortly!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Hmmmmmmmmm Let's think about this. The opinion of what may be the Army's best General is that the Obama Team is a bunch of clowns. Oh yeah, definitely fire him, as they have so many more great choices to replace him. Maybe the ACORN guys could go handle the Taliban for us?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links