suspect on bike killed in gun battle

This is a discussion on suspect on bike killed in gun battle within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Suspect on bike killed in gun battle with 2 deputies Wear your body armor it can save your life....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: suspect on bike killed in gun battle

Thumbs up suspect on bike killed in gun battle

Suspect on bike killed in gun battle with 2 deputies

Wear your body armor it can save your life.

"Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

2. Remove Ads

Suspect on bike killed in gun battle with 2 deputies
    Posted: 3:38 p.m. Saturday, June 26, 2010

LAKELAND, Fla. — Two deputies confronted a man on a bicycle early Friday morning when he allegedly pulled out a gun and started shooting.

According to the Polk County Sheriff's Office, Deputy Mike Braswell and Deputy Paul Fairbanks III confronted a suspicious, white male as he was riding a bicycle. After being stopped because his bike didn't have lights or reflectors on it, the suspect was initially cooperative. However, when the deputies asked for permission to search him, he pulled out a .45 caliber semi-automatic handgun and opened fire on the deputies.

The deputies were saved by bulletproof vests.

“He just busted out with this firearm all of a sudden without any warning at all,” Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd said.

Both deputies were shot, but managed to returned fire and the suspect fell to the ground. The sheriff said 21-year-old Matthew Tutt then grabbed his semi-automatic handgun and began shooting again.

“I hear the gunshots go off, ‘Pop! Pop! Pop! Pop! Pop!’ And I heard another set of gunshots a few seconds later,” eyewitness Dayton Carr said.

Deputy Mike Braswell, 32, was shot in the extremities, and Deputy Paul Fairbanks III, 58, was shot in the stomach and arm.

We didn't have body armor while I was active.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    Waiting for page 2 and "The Rest of the Story."

In the meantime glad the LEOs lived.
    Last edited by DaveH; June 27th, 2010 at 02:49 PM.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    First PD I worked for didn't even supply sam browne or gun,second department supplied uniforms equipment and second chance vests,that was definitely a situation that had the Officers not been wearing vests the outcome would have been much different
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Waiting for page 2 and "The Rest of the Story."

In the meantime glad the LEO lived.
    One or more of the shots proved fatal and Tutt died in the street.
    “This ended today as it should. Our deputies are alive and the guy who shot these deputies is dead,” Judd said.
    Hours after the shooting, a bio-hazard team was still on the scene mopping up blood left on the street. At least 30 shell casings rained to the ground and investigators put evidence markers next to them.
    “I was surprised. I was surprised it all happened,” Browning said.
    The gun was visible under an unmarked patrol car.
    Both deputies were transported by EMS to Lakeland Regional Medical Center where they were being treated for their injuries. Deputy Fairbanks underwent Friday surgery.
    “Once again, this is a classic example of what a dangerous job these men and women do everyday,” Sheriff Judd said.
    The sheriff said Deputy Fairbanks planned to retire sometime soon. Both deputies are expected to survive.
    Deputies told WFTV Tutt was a gang member. He was arrested in the past for aggravated assault with a weapon and drug possession.
    Walk quietly and carry a big stick.

Dead scumbag!

Very glad the deputies are on the mend and none of the good guys succumbed to the attack!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Scratch one more BG. Here's to the deputies and their quick recovery.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    I couldn't I imagine doing my job without it
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Glad this dirtbag is dead, but sorry two deputies had to be injured to end the dirtbag's career.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member

My sentiments exactly!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Scratch one more BG. Here's to the deputies and their quick recovery.
    Paragraph from article:

Both deputies were shot, but managed to returned fire and the suspect fell to the ground. The sheriff said 21-year-old Matthew Tutt then grabbed his semi-automatic handgun and began shooting again.

^^^This is a startling statement.^^^^^^^^^^

After sustaining MULTIPLE gunshot wounds the Knuckledragger began shooting again.So sorry he DIED as a result of his thuggery.(pun added)

If a BG dies as the result of pointing a gun at me, then he has merely succumbed to an occupational hazard of being a thug
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post

Paragraph from article:

^^^This is a startling statement.^^^^^^^^^^
    Excellent observation: he was shot, fell to the ground, but the fight wasn't over yet.

Shoot until the threat is over, not just until the threat is down.

And the BG's mother talked about what a good kid he was. Yeah, right. Another parent not facing reality that her 21 yr. old son is a criminal with a record. States she wants to know the truth about what happened. Truth is he got what he deserved.

Angry

Deputies told WFTV Tutt was a gang member. He was arrested in the past for aggravated assault with a weapon and drug possession.[/QUOTE]

Wonder why he was not incarcerated at the time of his last and final offense ?
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Why did he have a gun. He had a felony record and the law doesn't allow convicted criminals to own a gun. Perhaps gun laws don't work?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links