Coming Home!

This is a discussion on Coming Home! within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Since I have all the Vet's attentions, I would like to say a huge thank you to the older guys. You fought a bunch of ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Coming Home!

Since I have all the Vet's attentions, I would like to say a huge thank you to the older guys. You fought a bunch of tough wars, and didnt always get the thanks you deserve. Todays wars are not popular, but the Service Members are supported, atleast that is what the media says they are doing. You guys are Heros. Thank you.

To those guys with me over here right now thinking "what about me?" Stop whinning for attention.
    "When war does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the
    scabbard." -General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by TangoMonkey View Post
    Thanks to modern convenience, I have talked with my wife nearly every night.
    I still find that amazing. When I was in you could call from overseas, at ridiculous rates, or hopefully go through Ham Radio operators which made for some interesting (and not very private) conversations. I think I envy you guys for the ability to "see" your families while deployed.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by TangoMonkey View Post
    Since I have all the Vet's attentions, I would like to say a huge thank you to the older guys. You fought a bunch of tough wars, and didnt always get the thanks you deserve. Todays wars are not popular, but the Service Members are supported, atleast that is what the media says they are doing. You guys are Heros. Thank you.

To those guys with me over here right now thinking "what about me?" Stop whinning for attention.
    +10000000000 You guys cant be thanked enough
    Please take my posts with a grain of salt. I am frequently sleep deprived and always just on this side of "Krazy".

When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle. Edmund Burke

Thank you very much for your service, have a safe trip home and good luck to you sir.
    Semper Paratus

‎"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Last time I just went back with the mindset of no matter what happens I'm back in the States amongst real people that bathe everyday and eat pork. When the wife would start to do something that would aggravate me I would just remind myself that I could be back in U4 manning the 240 in the turret and that changed my mindset quick. I went home on R&R for our daughters birth and then didn't see her for another 4 months. She adjusted alright. When they are that small I think it doesn't effect them as much. I had problems with crowded areas for about 2-3 months but it slowly went away. I am worried about going back this time and my daughter not wanting anything to do with me. I only had 7 months back with them and I deployed again in Feb. so we'll see how it plays out. I go on leave the end of this month so wish me luck.

On another note - There was certain times that I sort-of missed the thrill of the ride on the roads over here. It's just something about it that's hard to explain.
    FL CWL
    Member of:
    USCCA
    NRA
    GCO
    IDPA

Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    Last time I just went back with the mindset of no matter what happens I'm back in the States amongst real people that bathe everyday and eat pork.
    Is that mandatory?

There was certain times that I sort-of missed the thrill of the ride on the roads over here. It's just something about it that's hard to explain.
    I know what you mean.
    "When war does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the
    scabbard." -General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Is that mandatory?
    I was referring to the Afghans. You know how they smell.
    FL CWL
    Member of:
    USCCA
    NRA
    GCO
    IDPA

Is that mandatory?
    I was referring to the Afghans. You know how they smell.
    Yep...I spent the better part of my day working with Afghans...ANA Air Corps...in closed rooms filled with smoke...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Take some time to "decompress." One of the biggest problems with returning from a combat zone, especially since Vietnam, is that one day you can be getting shot at and shooting back, and 24 hours later, you're home. No decompression time. I realize that returning Vets from the Middle East are debriefed a lot better than those of us who returned from SEA, but it's still a big cultural and emotional change to go through.

You may go through some guilt feelings because you survived and people you knew did not. There's also a certain adrenalin rush that you'll miss.

Getting back to the BS of stateside duty will be a challenge. In a combat zone, you'll have more responsibility at 19 or 20 than most people will for the rest of their lives. Stateside, it's being strack and obeying all the rules and regs.

Just know that you have the respect and gratitude of a lot of people in this country.

Welcome home and thank you for your service.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

First: Hope your trip home goes smoothly for you. Nothing like the stress of getting stuck somewhere for longer than you thought you'd be there when you're anticipating the return home. No matter how laid back the transition location might be, it still suxxor having to wait for that last plane ride outta SWA.

Second: What everyone else has already said! I've been Deployed to The Desert 11 times in my nearly 19 years in the USAF. The longest I've been gone was 129 days, but I was gone almost two and a half years out of a six year span of time over the course of 7 Deployments. It's rough making the adjustment, but just remember that while your family and friends may not have been dodging mortars, rockets and bullets, they didn't exactly have it stress-free, either. Tell your wife - and anyone who helped her - THANK YOU for what she - and they - did while you were gone. My wife has been an incredible trooper in our marriage, shouldering quite a bit of the burden w/our children, bills and pets.

Third: If you can't reconcile anger or anxiety issues, go see the Chaplain or any sort of Mental Health folks that the Army has on-hand. That's they're job, after all - to get you dealing w/your feelings and getting your center back. You'll never be the exact same fella you were before you left, but you can still be you. The transition ain't easy, but only you can make the necessary changes in mental status to find that center again.

Fourth: Thank you for your Service and the sacrifices that it entails.

Fifth: Don't over do it - with booze, over-eating or feeling you have to do everything around the house to help make up for your time away. Upon my return from one of the Redeployment's, I went to every damned fast food place and restaurant that I'd had a craving for - and places I didn't have cravings, but wanted to stop and eat at anyone. I'd done a great job of dropping almost 40lbs while gone - and ended up putting 30lbs back on in about a month. Yeah, I'm an idiot....

You can overdo the sex thing, tho. That's an alright.

I realize you aren't back yet, but welcome home, regardless!

Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #12-751

If guns kill people, then:
    Pincels miss spel werds;
    Cars make people drive drunk;
    And spoons made Rosie O'Donnel fat.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Patiences and communication as it's been said here. It's been awhile since my time over there. Don't be afraid to talk about it, but the one thing you need to do is not make it the only conversation piece in your conversations, set aside a time to speak about your experiences, fears, good times. There is help from the military on that side of it, take advantage of it, the support system is in place, use it if you need it, don't let pride stand in the way.'
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Thank you for your service. God bless and have a safe trip home.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Welcome back and thank you for serving.

Gary Owen Sir !
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Distinguished Member Array pinklady's Avatar
    I just want to thank you for your service, from me and my family.

Dont forget to thank her for being the Cav at home while you were away.
    Thanks for your service
    _____
    Army Aviation 1985-1993

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links