A Living MOH winner might be in the making

This is a discussion on A Living MOH winner might be in the making within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; AP Source: Living soldier could get Medal of Honor WASHINGTON The military has sent the White House a recommendation to award the Medal of ...

Thread: A Living MOH winner might be in the making

Senior Moderator

A Living MOH winner might be in the making

AP Source: Living soldier could get Medal of Honor

WASHINGTON The military has sent the White House a recommendation to award the Medal of Honor to a soldier for bravery in Afghanistan, which could make him the first living recipient since the Vietnam War.

The Army soldier ran through a hail of enemy fire to repel Taliban fighters in a 2007 battle, saving the lives of a half dozen other men, two U.S. officials said Wednesday. They declined to name the soldier and spoke on condition of anonymity because he is still under consideration for the honor.

There is concern, officials say that early disclosure could place political pressure on President Barack Obama to approve the medal or could cause embarrassment for the soldier if it's not approved.

The nation's highest award for valor has been awarded only six times in the nine years of war in Afghanistan and Iraq and all were awarded posthumously.

That small number has prompted member of Congress to ask the Pentagon to examine its policy for awarding the medal, a process that can take years and involves several reviews up the chain of command.

Officials have said it's hard to compare the number awarded since the 2001 start of the Afghanistan invasion with the hundreds awarded in World War II and Vietnam because warfare has evolved so much in recent decades.

Those earlier wars frequently involved close conflict with an organized enemy formation, for instance, while today's fighting is against non-uniformed insurgents who use remotely detonated roadside bombs, suicide bombers, sniper attacks and other tactics that avoid the risk of engaging personally with U.S. forces.
    The hard thing is not getting a MOH but living to tell the tale
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

2. Remove Ads

Yeah...my opinions on the article are probably best reserved for Conservative Stronghold....
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I typed out a rant, but it takes away from the OP. I hope this Soldier recieves the award he deserves.
    Please take my posts with a grain of salt. I am frequently sleep deprived and always just on this side of "Krazy".

When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle. Edmund Burke

It would be nice to have a few MOH winners walking around among us, as in the old days!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

It's hard to believe that in nine years of war, and on two fronts, there are no living MOH recipients.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Does it take longer to get a MOH (or any medal) now than it used to? 3 years seems a bit excessive.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Here is another link talking about this Soldier and his actions..173rd Airborne soldier recommended for MoH - Army News, news from Iraq, - Army Times

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Does it take longer to get a MOH (or any medal) now than it used to? 3 years seems a bit excessive.
    No, The MOH goes through multiple levels of red tape, interviews, verifacation ect so as to not lessen the meaning of the award. there are many awards that are either automatic or can be recommended and awarded on the same day. It just depends on the level of the award. Some MOH recipiants don't recieve the awards for years or even centuries in extreme circumstances.
    KAHR CW45, RIA 1911 Officer, S&W Sigma 9MM, Savage 1907 .32cal(BUG)

Distinguished Member Array old grunt's Avatar
    The individual is a paratrooper from B Co. 2/503 173d Airborne Brigade. I can't remember the spelling of his last name(it begins with a "G" and his first name is Sal). Hopefully, I can dig it up. The account is supposed to be in the Sebastian Junger book "War", about his time imbedded with the Herd in Afghanistan in 2007(?).
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Links