Need Physical Fitness Help (reenlisting)

This is a discussion on Need Physical Fitness Help (reenlisting) within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by shockwave Yes it can. The OP says he can rip off push ups and sit ups, so he's in adequate shape to ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Physical Fitness Help (reenlisting)

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    Yes it can. The OP says he can rip off push ups and sit ups, so he's in adequate shape to try. Far as I know, this is the quickest route to extreme fitness.
    I wouldn't say I can rip off the push ups and sit ups but I can pass this portion of a PT test.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    If you aren't out of shape, but just not in great shape, P90X is the bomb. 'Nuff said.

If you are completely out of shape, P90X could kill you. Or you'll quit in frustration.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Quote Originally Posted by SamRudolph View Post
    If you aren't out of shape, but just not in great shape, P90X is the bomb. 'Nuff said.

If you are completely out of shape, P90X could kill you. Or you'll quit in frustration.
    +1... I work with a bunch of guys that were in "average" shape and all started the P90x program a few months back(all challenging each other). They're all ripped now... The thing to remember is that it's not just the exercise portion, but learning to eat healthier as well to provide your body with the necessary nutrients and fuel.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I'm 62 and that test would be a breeze. A 10 minute mile is really a fast walk. Get out there and start walking now and start adding speed. You can do it, I know you can.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    +1... I work with a bunch of guys that were in "average" shape and all started the P90x program a few months back(all challenging each other). They're all ripped now... The thing to remember is that it's not just the exercise portion, but learning to eat healthier as well to provide your body with the necessary nutrients and fuel.
    P90X is fine and dandy but no thanks. Not knocking it and I would like to do it if I just want to look good. But my needs are to keep my fitness functional related. I work out to maintain my attributes for mixed martial arts/CQC, not look like some bodybuilder or magazine model. Try doing 1 set of 300 Baithek squats and then doing 1 set of 100 divebomber pushups/dands, and then 1 set of 50 neck bridges followed by holding the neck bridge position for 2 min. (a bodybuilder friend of mine, who thought it was easy, puked from the exercises, and had to be helped to a chair by me and my training partner). These are just samples of functional combat conditioning exercises that I do and they aren't called "Eight to Hate" for nothing. It's a tough guy's workout and not for the faint of heart. What good is a ripped physique if it is not conditioned enough to throw strikes in spurts, absorb full power blows, engage in a clinch, or slap on a choke?

For running, I do about 4-5 miles interspersing them with hillsprints (helped with my 1.5 run on the Navy's Physical Readiness test=fastest time in my career of 9:24/not a natural runner either). Besides bagwork and sparring drills, I also jump rope for 15 min. and I also use the elliptical for 40 min. I am also a big proponent of weight training relying on power exercises utilizing barbells, sledgehammers, kettlebells, 80 lb. grappling dummy, and the 40 lb. sand bag weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Storm View Post
    P90X is fine and dandy but no thanks. Not knocking it and I would like to do it if I just want to look good. But my needs are to keep my fitness functional related. I work out to maintain my attributes for mixed martial arts/CQC, not look like some bodybuilder or magazine model. Try doing 1 set of 300 Baithek squats and then doing 1 set of 100 divebomber pushups/dands, and then 1 set of 50 neck bridges followed by holding the neck bridge position for 2 min. (a bodybuilder friend of mine, who thought it was easy, puked from the exercises, and had to be helped to a chair by me and my training partner). These are just samples of functional combat conditioning exercises that I do and they aren't called "Eight to Hate" for nothing. It's a tough guy's workout and not for the faint of heart. What good is a ripped physique if it is not conditioned enough to throw strikes in spurts, absorb full power blows, engage in a clinch, or slap on a choke?
    heh...don't knock it 'till you try it. It's not "bodybuilder" routines... That just tends to be a byproduct of a very healthy lifestyle. I tried it a few times, and seems very much like what you've described as your training. High intensity strength and cardio all dumped into one and all back to back with little to no time for rest in between sets.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

heh...don't knock it 'till you try it. It's not "bodybuilder" routines...
    Right. And please let's not get into a "my workout is better than yours" thing. Any exercise is better than none. I did P90X in order to handle my shotgun better, and it worked very well for that.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Quote Originally Posted by TangoMonkey View Post
    Interval runs wil bring that PT test run time down. Try to run/sprint for 30 sec and then slow jog for 1 min. You can adjust your time, distance, and speed to where you are physically. The point is to exercise your fast twitch muscle fibers. Those are the ones that make you go fast. By running for longer distance/time each day you will develope your endurance. Just remember to give it your all. If you cheat yourself you will never improve. How are you on push ups?
    I'll piggy back on this, as well. I'm AD USAF, 42 years old and Intervals are the best way to build yourself up w/o killing yourself. Worked for me, anyhow. I've never been a long-distance runner, either, but interval's turns you in to one, even if it's just for those two miles. You can't go from nuthin' to 2 miles in no time, so pace yourself at first.

I recommend building yourself up to 2.5 miles, as well. That way you've got a little something extra left if your time is looking tight on just two miles for the actual PT test.

Another thing I've learned is to stretch out REALLY WELL after running. If you get shin splints and/or have knee, foot and/or hip pain afterward, try soaking in a cool tub of water for as long as you can stand - cold if you can hack it. It helps w/the swelling of the muscles/joints and prevent possible permanent injury.

Ibuprofen is your friend where this sort of stuff is concerned, as well.

Finally, check w/your doc before doing any of this stuff!

Good luck, regardless!

Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #12-751

If guns kill people, then:
    Pincels miss spel werds;
    Cars make people drive drunk;
    And spoons made Rosie O'Donnel fat.

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    Right. And please let's not get into a "my workout is better than yours" thing. Any exercise is better than none. I did P90X in order to handle my shotgun better, and it worked very well for that.
    Like I said, my fitness needs are much different. Not saying it's better, just sharing its uniqueness just like everyone here are sharing the uniqueness of P90X. There are many exercise programs and products out there. The real factors are perserverence, determination, dedication and commitment. Without those factors, any exercise plan is of no use.
    Last edited by Jason Storm; July 9th, 2010 at 10:46 AM.

I just started running again at the ripe old age of 51 and I strongly recommend Glucosamine Chondroitin. It really helps the your old hips and knees deal with the extra demands of running.

I also worked out twice yesterday w/ free-weights utilizing functional specific exercises , one in the morning (barbells at the gym), and another in the evening (kettlebells and sandbag). Off day today though and looking forward to a 4-5 mile run tomorrow morning. As far as running goes, I prefer to run outdoors on a track or better yet, cross country in hilly areas w/ different surfaces.

Quote Originally Posted by a240hunter View Post
    I just started running again at the ripe old age of 51 and I strongly recommend Glucosamine Chondroitin. It really helps the your old hips and knees deal with the extra demands of running.
    It's good stuff although it can raise cholesterol levels if taken too often. I took it for a while 2 yrs. ago when my MCL was healing after I sprained it. I wore a brace for a month too (didn't need a cane that much to walk but it was handy for self-defense since I used to do stick/baton/bo staff training). Glad it's been healed since then and I currently don't have to take GC. But I do take creatine before and after workout since as I get older, I have a much slower recovery time between workout sessions. As I get older at 37, I also do a lot more stretching before bedtime too. Working out is not just a way to remain fit throughout my Navy career, it is also a lifestyle and a way to build and maintain functional attributes for self-defense.
    Last edited by Jason Storm; July 9th, 2010 at 10:48 AM.

New PRT (formerly PT) manual

To the OP, a couple posted links to the old PRT manual. The Army's gone to a new manual, TC (Training Circular) 3-22.20. It's in effect in Basic Combat Training, AIT and across the force. It went into official effect Army-wide last month, though some units are dragging a little. Do a search and download it.

If that doesn't work, PM me and I'll send it from work tomorrow.

Also, interval training, like many have suggested, is the moneymaker to get you where you need to be on the 2-mile run.
    NRA member
    GrassRoots GunRights SC member
    Walther PPS .40 / KelTec P3AT

Training

Dig deep bro - relish the pain.
    Sprinting, squats, dead lifts - every other day - till you puke, then do some more.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links