This is a discussion on Need Physical Fitness Help (reenlisting) within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Start with low impact activities like stationary machines or better yet...start by running in a pool. Easier on the legs, knees and will help with ...
Start with low impact activities like stationary machines or better yet...start by running in a pool. Easier on the legs, knees and will help with your initial entry back into this level of activity. Steppers are also awesome for building endurance and muscle strength without all the impact.
Take it from a guy with one metal knee and a fused ankle...with assorted hardware. Low impact is the key...then work your way up as the event nears.
Best Regards from Minnesota,
"Eight to Hate" Gladiator Conditioning Exercises I Did This Morning:
1. Baithek/Hindu squats=100-300 reps (150 reps)
2. Full Dands or Divebomber Pushups=50-100 reps (67 reps)
3. Forward and Backward Neck Bridges=25-50 reps followed by 1-2 min. hold (50 reps w/ 1 min. hold)
4. Gladiator Crunches=10 variations of 10-20 reps each (20 reps)
5. 4 pullup variations (wide, regular, commando pullups until chest touches overhead bar, chinups)=8-12 reps each w/ 10 sec. rest in between each variation (10 reps for each of the 3 variations and 6 reps for the commando pullups)
6. handgrip squeezes=50 reps followed by 1 min. hold* (50 reps w/ 1-min. hold)
7. reverse handgrip squeezes=50 reps followed by 1-min. hold* (50 reps w/ 1-min. hold)
8. jump squats= 1 set of 100 reps or 2 sets of 100 reps w/ 20 sec. rest between sets (2 sets of 200 reps)
Note: Minimum reps is intermediate/maintenance level and maximum reps is advanced/pro level. The repetitions in parenthesis is what I have accomplished, some I was able to go maximum, the others I did not although I did went above the minimum. I will gradually push myself beyond until I hit maximum rep. Note that the required reps and holdout time of the exercise in the * indicator remains the same no matter what the level.