Need Physical Fitness Help (reenlisting)

Need Physical Fitness Help (reenlisting)

This is a discussion on Need Physical Fitness Help (reenlisting) within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi guys. I apologize that I have not been so active lately. I have had a heckuva year so far. My temp position with the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Physical Fitness Help (reenlisting)

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar

Question Need Physical Fitness Help (reenlisting)

Hi guys. I apologize that I have not been so active lately. I have had a heckuva year so far.

My temp position with the state did NOT get approved for an extension, as they thought it would be, and I am again unemployed. That, added to my other span of no employment for several months has just beaten me down.

I am unable to find any employment suitable for my financial needs and have had no calls for an interview from anywhere I have applied.

Well, there is a possible bright spot now. I decided to try to reenlist in the military, in this case, the Florida Army National Guard.

Due to my prior service in the US Army I am able to use my six years of service to bring my enlistment age down to a qualifying number. I just turned 47yo.

I would get to keep my last rank and time in service towards a retirement of 20 years. They will pay my student loans off and pay for finishing my degree. I get a small but nice enlistment bonus and the ability to volunteer for 12 month deployments at full time soldier pay rates (which is better than most civilian jobs nowadays). Gulf Oil Spill duty deployment is also available I hear, also at full time pay rate.

All this and the possibility of sending small high velocity gifts to Taliban members! (not likely at my age though)

I have to pass a special "Over 40" physical but I think I will pass it. So that means I have a very good chance of getting into the Guard. My real goal is to land a active full time spot somewhere close, hopefully here in Tally, and just do a regular work week with monthly drills.

So, to my real question, my actual physical fitness test that will happen in the fall.

I have to be able to pass it in order to remain in the Guard.

I have to:

- Do 25 push-ups in 2 minutes (not a problem)
    - Do 30 sit ups in 2 minutes (not a problem)
    - Run 2 miles within 19min 30sec . . . . . . . . . (Problem)

I am not now and never have been a runner. I managed to limp through the run while active in the Army but it was murder.

I would like some methods and advice as to how best to condition my body, slowly and without killing myself, into making this run possible.

So I have two to three months to achieve this goal if I do indeed enlist.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Distinguished Member
    As a middle ager+++ myself, my only advice is to watch the knees while training for the run. Go get some good cushy shoes to run in and don't over do it. Let ibuprophen be your friend for a while.

We just watched 70 year old guys and gals compete in Ironman, so you can do it, no doubt.

Good luck!

Administrator
    Here is what I have done; Set your distance ( 2 miles) and always do 2 miles. You might not be able to run the entire 2 miles at first, that is OK. Jog as far as possible, then walk the rest. Use the same route so you can use landmarks for your time and distance ran/walk. (assuming you are not going to run on a track)
    Lets say you made it to the green house in the 700 block on the first run. Next run, you will make it to the blue house in the 900 block and so on. Before you know it, you will be able to do the whole 2 miles at a decent pace. 19 minutes is a long time for a short distance.

Also, invest in a good pair of shoes fitted by someone who knows what they are doing in a running store. Don't expect some pimple faced kid hawking Air Force Ones or grandma who should be selling pumps and purses to other granny's to know what they are doing at the big discount stores.
    "Just blame Sixto"

There are several Couch to 5K (C25K) programs that you could use. You can take a look at the cool running site for help.

You can download C25K for ipods etc

Cool Running :: running run training marathon runners jogging jogger joggers runner run fitness exercise diet weight loss nut...

good luck!
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    What about diet?

What are some good foods to eat that are conducive to energy yet allow me to also slim down a few pounds?
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    My wife started running at 40+ by using the Couch to 5K program and ended up losing weight and becoming a regular runner (does 5K / 3 miles a day). She tells me the best short term weight loss she has done is the Quick Weight Loss (same as Rush Limbaugh uses) and the best long term is the Weight Watchers point system (she has me on it now). Get good shoes matched to the way you run (i.e. pronating), and don't hesitate to get new ones as soon as they start wearing out.

Interval runs wil bring that PT test run time down. Try to run/sprint for 30 sec and then slow jog for 1 min. You can adjust your time, distance, and speed to where you are physically. The point is to exercise your fast twitch muscle fibers. Those are the ones that make you go fast. By running for longer distance/time each day you will develope your endurance. Just remember to give it your all. If you cheat yourself you will never improve. How are you on push ups?
    "When war does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the
    scabbard." -General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by TangoMonkey View Post
    Interval runs wil bring that PT test run time down. Try to run/sprint for 30 sec and then slow jog for 1 min. You can adjust your time, distance, and speed to where you are physically. The point is to exercise your fast twitch muscle fibers. Those are the ones that make you go fast. By running for longer distance/time each day you will develope your endurance. Just remember to give it your all. If you cheat yourself you will never improve. How are you on push ups?
    +1
    Intervals saved me on my last pt test, I did them with my husky for about two months before the test and brought my time down substantially (my husky claims the improvement was from him and not the intervals ). Also mix some strength training in with your runs. I noticed that doing leg strength exercises helped me more than just running everyday.
    If you live around any hills, running up hills will help improve your endurance and when you run on flat land it will feel way easier. Though I'm not sure if running on hills is worse for joints, anyone know the answer to that?
    Last thing I promise. I have noticed that running on a treadmill isn't nearly as beneficial as actually going outside and running. If its raining or snowing then its better than not running at all but if you have the choice always go to a track or do a road run. JMO

When I was a Drill Sergeant, this is the manual we had to follow with the new Soldiers.http://www.armytoolbag.com/Tools/PT/IED_PT.pdf This has the same day-by-day program you'll follow if you have to go back through Basic or AIT. If nothing else, follow the running program in here. If you haven't ran in a while, start on a track because it will be easier on your joints. After about 3 weeks your body should be used to the impact, and you can start running on the road. Just remember not to try and rush getting back into shape, because the last thing you want to do is hurt yourself. As far as running on a hill, that's how the Drill Sergeant Leaders had us run the 30/60 and 60/120s in Drill Sergeant school. But like I said before, try not to start off running on the road.

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Ramp up slowly, but steadily.

Make it your goal to be running about 2.5-3 miles at the proper pace by the time you're done.

If you can run, say, half a mile at the right pace to pass the APFT, try running 3/4 of a mile at that pace the next time. Run at least three times a week.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Here's a link to the Army's SPT manual. Check out page 125+. It's a by day, by week pt schedule specifially designed for use in basic to take Soldiers who have never done PT before and get them passing an APFT with as few injuries as possible. I did my battery command in an AIT unit, and we were required to use this for the trainees. It really does work if you do it religiously. If nothing else, it may give you some good ideas.

http://www.armytoolbag.com/Tools/PT/IED_PT.pdf

And...I just realized someone posted the link above, so this is really just a + 1 to that.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

I am a avid runner (just completed my first 1/2 marathon) and I am the guy at work that writes fitness plans for everyone else. I would be more then happy to write a running plan for you if you wish. Just shoot me a PM and we can talk.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

P90X is the speed ticket.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    P90X is the speed ticket.
    P90X can also be dangerous.

Edit - Upon thinking about this comment I wanted to add to this. ANY work out plan can be dangerous. I guess what I was getting at is P90X isn't what I would recommend for someone just trying to get to the point where they comfortably run 2 miles.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

P90X can also be dangerous.
    Yes it can. The OP says he can rip off push ups and sit ups, so he's in adequate shape to try. Far as I know, this is the quickest route to extreme fitness.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links