Theft at Tampa gun show

Theft at Tampa gun show

This is a discussion on Theft at Tampa gun show within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was admiring an assortment of knives at the Tampa gun show recently. The knives are laid out on tables as I'm sure many of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Theft at Tampa gun show

Theft at Tampa gun show

I was admiring an assortment of knives at the Tampa gun show recently. The knives are laid out on tables as I'm sure many of you have seen. Two very shady looking guys (purple hair and lots of piercings and tattoos) were handling many of the knives. As I watched from across the table I saw one of the fellows palm a knife and didn't put it back. As he slowly began to walk away I saw him put it in his right pocket. ($75.00 price tag)

I quickly requested to speak to the owner of the booth. he came right over and told him what I had seen and pointed out the guy. He then contacted security on his radio. The amazing thing was how many plain clothes officers responded almost instantly out of nowhere. The officer got right in the guys face and told him he knew he had stolen a knife. The man reached in his pocket and handed it over. Returned to the booth owner. By now the regular uniformed police arrived.

The question was asked to the booth owner...do you want to press charges? He said no...it's not worth the effort since the knife was returned and all was well. He shook my hand and thanked me.

The part that floored me was they let the guy go!! They didn't even make him leave the show. He was allowed to continue on his way.
    He walked down the isle once again looking for knife vendors.

I approached the officers and let them know that I understand not going through all the paper work and filing a charge against the guy but I was disappointed they at least didn't throw them out of the building. What a great lesson they taught the thieves.

The officers also taught me a lesson. Next time I may not bother and just look the other way. They don't care so why should I? Sad but true.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

VIP Member
    Right is right. You did your part. I would have done the same thing. If the vendor chose not to press charges, or if the authorities didn't kick them out, that is not your issue.

You know what happens to Evil when Good people do nothing?

Evil wins.

Keep doing the right thing.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    Right is right. You did your part. I would have done the same thing. If the vendor chose not to press charges, or if the authorities didn't kick them out, that is not your issue.

You know what happens to Evil when Good people do nothing?

Evil wins.

Keep doing the right thing.
    I will. It's my nature but I am sure disappointed at how the rest of society is so ready to turn their heads. Apathetic bunch of sheep.

This is why people will keep stealing...no penalty for getting caught.

When my son was about 6 years old, he took some gum from a Navy Exchange. The individual in charge of the the complex was a friend of mine and I called him for some help. I made my son go back to the store and 'face the music'. My buddy was gentle but persuasive about why little boys shouldn't take things without paying for them.
    My son had to dig some pennies out of his little wallet and could hardly grab the coins because he was shaking so much. He remembered that for a long time.
    Today's dirtbags were once little boys who most likely received no direction.OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

You did your part, the show dropped the ball..at the very least they should be removed/banned
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

In some states petty theft is not worth the time to do the paperwork & processing, so many Officers shytecan the job.
    One more step and it's on!

Quote Originally Posted by dripster View Post
    In some states petty theft is not worth the time to do the paperwork & processing, so many Officers shytecan the job.
    I don't disagree but at least throw the s-o-b's out the door.

Dirtbag probably made one lap of the floor, circled back and picked up the knife he wanted in the first place.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dripster View Post
    In some states petty theft is not worth the time to do the paperwork & processing
    The next time he gets caught doing something worse, he won't have a "clean record" and perhaps he'll get put away for a decent amount of time.

Each time a thief gets caught stealing cut one hand off,he won't steal more than twice in his life
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Thumbs down

At the very least I am surprised he was not trespassed and removed from the show especially if the uniformed officers were LEO's and not security.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Each time a thief gets caught stealing cut one hand off,he won't steal more than twice in his life
    Sounds like a good plan.
    Eternity...it's Hell without Jesus

USN 1969-1973
    USS Jonas Ingram DD938

I agree. You did the right thing and should keep on doing the right thing, even if the owner and LEO's did nothing to him. He won't learn his lesson, ..this time. Next time he may not be so lucky.

Yeah, they should have atleast kicked him out of the gun show.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    The book tag alarm went off at the libraray door at my community college. When I notified the desk librarian assistants (college money job) they said they aren't allowed to do anything - it's too dangerous. I wrote to the Student Council. Soon, there was a security guard stationed at the door.
    Seems like everybody was in their places at the show. You ought to write to the show sponsor / management company / whatever and tell them you don't want to spend extra money because of theives or those who tolerate them. Stealing causes price increases to compensate for the loss. And that makes the show less attractive to you, a smart consumer, and decent citizen who just prefers to associate with a higher class of people. Relate the story and request that theives be removed.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    What's the point of having security and LEO's if they're not going to enforce the law? I'll bet a check on the dirt bag would of shown an active warrant.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links