MOS suggestions for Guard enlistment

This is a discussion on MOS suggestions for Guard enlistment within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; More questions from me. I was a tanker in the Army years ago. 19E that is. If I cannot find a local unit that will ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MOS suggestions for Guard enlistment

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar

More questions from me.

I was a tanker in the Army years ago. 19E that is. If I cannot find a local unit that will accept this MOS what would be good alternative(s) for someone from armor background?

I want to stay close to home and would like to get an AGR position but it may not happen. So if I accept the traditional part time slot I will need to be in an MOS that the local unit will accept (and I am not sure what that is yet).
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

As an AGR myself, what type of units do you have around your home...53rd INF???
    KAHR CW45, RIA 1911 Officer, S&W Sigma 9MM, Savage 1907 .32cal(BUG)

Quote Originally Posted by sandman1212 View Post
    As an AGR myself, what type of units do you have around your home...53rd INF???
    Yes. 53rd is here in town. I also think they are an engineering outfit. I thought something like 339th?

Everything else is at least two hours away.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”

Administrator
    A lot would depend on what was close by of course. It seems to me that a medic would be pretty universal. It can land you a decent job in the civilain world too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I would suggest 54B (NBC NCO). Not all that glamorous, but every single Army company, by MTOE, has a slot for one.
    In my years on active duty I was with everything from the dirty, nasty, straight leg infantry to the REMF truck drivers. I got in there and did everything they were doing so I felt that I got lots of cross-training with a wide variety of MOS's.
    Molon Labe

Lead Moderator
    Since someone tossed 54B out, I would think that they might have 89B openings, that would be ammo handler.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Well, things are going well with my reenlistment. I scored very high on my ASVAB. I scored high on the first one I took back in 1981 as well. I believe I did better on this one but I don't have my old ASVAB score from 1981.

My local guard unit, where my recruiter is stationed, did a Body Mass on me Wednesday and I came in at a perfect number at my current weight and age. I was surprised but I have been losing weight the past couple of years.

I go for my "Over 40" exam next Tuesday at the Montgomery Alabama MEPS unit. October will likely be my enlistment month as I am waiting on the new fiscal year to come. I am told more MOS choices will be available then. There are no current slots for 19E/19K and I have to enter under my old MOS or get converted or choose something that is not slotted at my local unit.

I have been running, jogging and walking a lot, I have made a small obstacle course here at home and I am doing push-ups, crunches and leg lifts every other night. I am adding two more reps every time I do my calisthenics. Four sets of reps each session.

It is hard to get motivated to go run in this terrible Florida heat. It doesn't get much better at night or early morning. I likely could not pass the running portion of the PT test but I have about three months before I will be initially tested so I hope I am able to continue my running.

Oh, I forgot to say . . . . . I am sore!!!

Oh, yeah, any more suggestions as to a good solid MOS to choose?

I was offered Military Police but I am not sure I would want that. What say you guys?

Maybe I want to stay with a combat MOS? Should I stay with armor? There are no armor units anywhere near my hometown though.

What about weapons or ammunition as stated in another post? How many MOS's deal with ammo and weapons?

Question on deployments. Most soldiers I talk to love to go on deployment. Is this pretty universal? They love the money they bring home. One soldier I know has taken seven deployments and wants more.

Man, I am excited and a little unsure at the same time. I am a soldier at heart, I love military, I think military but I am just out so long now that I am a little nervous.

I have been looking and reading some more on MOS choices. Seems Signal & Military Intelligence/Counter Intelligence pays bonuses for almost all of their MOS's. Seems it is in demand as well. What I don't particularly like about this position is its involvement with computer networking. I was trying to avoid that for fear of being stuck in a cubical or back of a military truck.

Also, Special Forces pay bonuses for all of its positions. However, I think that SF's is off my list. My old butt would never make it there.

So, what do some of you think about Signal and Communications and Military Intelligence positions? I would really like to hear from those that have experience in these areas.

I would say, Combat Engineer or the do it all, 11 bang bang.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

<-----
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

Quote Originally Posted by boricua View Post
    I would say, Combat Engineer or the do it all, 11 bang bang.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler11B View Post
    <-----
    Guys!! I am almost 48 years old! I cannot keep up with you young fellows humping with a rifle and a pack. I don't wanna be the last one un-assing a firefight and get killed cause I am slow.

How about Intel??
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

maybe something to do with aviation
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    How about Intel??
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler11B View Post
    maybe something to do with aviation
    Both of these are on top of my list as possibilities. However, after much research I seem to have found that you have to be very careful picking these MOS's or you end up not actually doing your job but rather cross training with other MOS's or out on detail work because your actual MOS has nothing to do. That seems to be especially true with a lot of the maintenance MOS's.

Of the MOS's that interest me most it seems that Intelligence Imagery or Apache/Blackhawk maintenance or avionics is maybe a good choice.

That is what I am trying to figure out.

I don't want to choose a field that is a dead end, leaves me holding a broom, stuck at E-4, never deploys, and is constant BS detail work not related to my MOS.

A good aircraft maintenance MOS would leave me with skills for civilian job. A good intel job would give me good skills and a top secret clearance for corporate security jobs after the Army.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links