Pit Bull Shot Three Times [including once in the head]; Still Charges Officers

This is a discussion on Pit Bull Shot Three Times [including once in the head]; Still Charges Officers within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by HotGuns Anytime a punk releases a dog of any kind on an officer he should be charged with at least aggravated assault ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pit Bull Shot Three Times [including once in the head]; Still Charges Officers

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Anytime a punk releases a dog of any kind on an officer he should be charged with at least aggravated assault or assault with a deadly weapon.
    But Lieutenent, it was a mean-looking poodle! ;-)
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

2. Remove Ads

[QUOTE=retsupt99;1715345]
    Quote Originally Posted by Moga View Post
    Poor dog.[/QUOTE]

Dirtbag owner...he should pay with a long time loss of freedom.IMHO

If a suspect releases his attack Chihuahua on an LEO, that's one thing, an attack Pit.......I see deadly force on the pit being authorized and attempted murder (or whatever charges the DA could make stick) charges being filed.

.....and yes, poor dog. That pooch was a product of the thug owner.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    But Lieutenent, it was a mean-looking poodle! ;-)
    Have you seen a full size poodle???
    They go around 75-80 lb.. They are not always the little ankle-biters you automatically think of.
    Anyway, I think you may have been 1/2 clowning.

I am sometimes skeptical of when the dog in question is referred to automatically as a pit.
    Yes they are quite the formidable opponent, but they are small to medium in size, females around 30-40 lbs. and males topping the scales at around 50lb. If you look at all the dogs that LOOK like a Pit,walk like a pit, but are LARGER than a pit, and you can see my apprehension to automatically buy into the "always" a pit, story. See the likeness in the photos.

Only one is a pit bull though.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by usmcj View Post
    The dog is a result of it's upbringing, and training. I have the utmost sympathy for that dog. To fault the dog is ignorance. Is the bull who gores a bullfighter at fault?
    I've seen first hand the viciousness and unpredictable anger that bit bulls are capable of. There are certainly other dangerous breeds as well but pits are statistically at the top of the list.

I think it's fine to have a dog even as a watch dog. The bites of teacup-sized dogs and even larger herding dogs (who use their mouths to seize and guide as opposed to crush and rip) do not present the risk of serious injury inherent in the bites of dogs which were bred for the specific purpose of killing animals.

All these dangerous breeds have become a serious and widespread threat to communities and I have no sympathy for an ill tempered attack dog who gets shot trying to injure someone.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    I've seen first hand the viciousness and unpredictable anger that bit bulls are capable of. There are certainly other dangerous breeds as well but pits are statistically at the top of the list.

I think it's fine to have a dog even as a watch dog. The bites of teacup-sized dogs and even larger herding dogs (who use their mouths to seize and guide as opposed to crush and rip) do not present the risk of serious injury inherent in the bites of dogs which were bred for the specific purpose of killing animals.

All these dangerous breeds have become a serious and widespread threat to communities and I have no sympathy for an ill tempered attack dog who gets shot trying to injure someone.
    "Dangerous breed" is like sticking "assualt" in front of rifle and suddenly its more capable of killing. Assualt is a behavior, not a device. No differently than a dog is trained to be dangerous, not born. A Retriever or Lab can tear up a human being just as bad, if not worse than a TRUE pit, as they are LARGER, yet those a "family dogs". Stasticially speaking in my state, Dalmations bite more folks than any other dog! Yet your insurance rates don't go up if you own one like if you own a pitbull. The only dog I've ever been assaulted by WAS a dalmation. (Amazingly, my non-pit dogs that always get mixed up and thought to be pits,..., have never bit anyone!? I wonder if my S&W will jump off my hip and shoot people first, or my dog will get the urge to bite people just because people think its a pit first? Anyone want to take bets?)

When I was growing up, my family had a lab that survived being run over 3 times, and falling down a wellshaft of an abondoned farmhouse in the woods next to us. With the exception of the well he fell into, he ran back home AFTER being run off. That said, logic suggests if he can survive several thousand pound car assaulting him, he could take a couple bullets. Interestling though, that he was a "family friendly" breed. An "attack dog" is only such because a human taught it to be. Not the dogs fault. Just like a shooting involving a GLock handgun isn't Glock's fault, and Glock shouldn't get sued over it.
    Last edited by Ghettokracker71; July 27th, 2010 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Word.

There are certainly other dangerous breeds as well but pits are statistically at the top of the list.
    I'm sure you can cite source for this right?

VIP Member
    I must have missed where it said what caliber the handgun(s) in questions were. Considering that .40S&W is at least as common (if not more so) than 9mm, and that there are any number of other possibilities, to assume with absolutely no evidence whatsoever that the rounds in question seems a bit presumptuous...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I'm no fan of Pit Bulls, but this is what happens when you conduct a no-knock raid. My Beagle would've barked and been aggressive in the same situation. The police would've shot my Beagle also. I see no evidence here that a viscous dog was "sicced" on the police. Strangers entered the dogs home in a loud and boisterous manner, dog attacked. No surprise here. Whole thing could've been avoided had they just waited for the suspect to go to work, the store, check his mail, mow his grass, go for a walk, or any other normal day to day activities that most people do. Instead, "giddyup! Get the gear on and let's go kick some tail!" Once again, the officers are lucky none of them got hurt in an unnecessary raid.

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    I'm sure you can cite source for this right?
    According to the Clifton study, pit bulls, Rottweilers, Presa Canarios and their mixes are responsible for 74% of attacks that were included in the study, 68% of the attacks upon children, 82% of the attacks upon adults, 65% of the deaths, and 68% of the maimings. In more than two-thirds of the cases included in the study, the life-threatening or fatal attack was apparently the first known dangerous behavior by the animal in question. Clifton states:

“If almost any other dog has a bad moment, someone may get bitten, but will not be maimed for life or killed, and the actuarial risk is accordingly reasonable. If a pit bull terrier or a Rottweiler has a bad moment, often someone is maimed or killed—and that has now created off-the-chart actuarial risk, for which the dogs as well as their victims are paying the price.”

/http://www.dogbitelaw.com/
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce130 View Post
    I'm no fan of Pit Bulls, but this is what happens when you conduct a no-knock raid. My Beagle would've barked and been aggressive in the same situation. The police would've shot my Beagle also. I see no evidence here that a viscous dog was "sicced" on the police. Strangers entered the dogs home in a loud and boisterous manner, dog attacked. No surprise here. Whole thing could've been avoided had they just waited for the suspect to go to work, the store, check his mail, mow his grass, go for a walk, or any other normal day to day activities that most people do. Instead, "giddyup! Get the gear on and let's go kick some tail!" Once again, the officers are lucky none of them got hurt in an unnecessary raid.
    Garbage, and spoken like someone who has absolutely no idea what goes into ANY arrest, much less a NKW, much much less this particular situation. According to the article, the dog was intentionally released by the BG in order to interfere with (if not attack) the police. Here’s the quote: “As police approached, the suspect reportedly opened the door suddenly and a pit bull ran out, charging an officer.

I know you can only read as far as “no knock warrant” and immediately go into a fit of apoplexy, but you might consider actually reading the article before spouting off unrelated, uninformed, and untrue nonsense.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Garbage, and spoken like someone who has absolutely no idea what goes into ANY arrest, much less a NKW, much much less this particular situation. According to the article, the dog was intentionally released by the BG in order to interfere with (if not attack) the police. Here’s the quote: “As police approached, the suspect reportedly opened the door suddenly and a pit bull ran out, charging an officer.

I know you can only read as far as “no knock warrant” and immediately go into a fit of apoplexy, but you might consider actually reading the article before spouting off unrelated, uninformed, and untrue nonsense.
    Opfor I agree and think deuce130 is being over the top. My personal concern is I have a english mastiff. At a slimmed down 225lbs. he is a forminable dog. He is gentle,loves "his" grandkids,and his people. If someone were to try and enter his area and harm his people he is going on the offensive. He doesn't have the ability to recognize cops from bad guys. All he would see is a threat.

I realize that each situation is different and we can second guess all day long, but in the gray areas I could see the possibility of a good dog while doing his job going after a "good guy".

Quote Originally Posted by Bkrazy View Post
    ... Perhaps we should charge animal owners with additional crimes if they use their animal as a weapon, but to blame the dog is wrong. Would we feel it was a killer attack dog if it was a golden retreiver that was unleashed on the officers?
    While I agree that blaming the dog is wrong, some dogs are bread/owned specifically for their aggressive tendencies. Golden retrievers are not normally trained to "protect", but I am sure that they could be IF someone were to try.

I am all for some form of legal consequence for owners of dogs that cause injury to another person. Especially if the owner purposely uses the dog as a weapon.

Having been on the receiving end of 2 rottweiler attacks (same owner) I can attest to how much punishment they can take before stopping.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

VIP Member
    21bubba, I understand. I grew up with Great Danes, and have had GSDs, a psychotic wild Afghan mutt that I adopted, and numerous other dogs that, while not vicious (except for the Afghan mutt) could be protective. In the case of the Danes and GSD, I wouldn't be able to fault an officer for shooting them if they were actually aggressively charging...

That said, the chances of you as a law abiding citizen being served an erroneous NKW are INFINITELY small (heck, the chances of being the subject of an NKW even if you are a known violent felon is very small); so small as to not be a concern in day-to-day life. BTW, I love mastiffs (and other really big dogs), and would seriously consider getting one if I weren't moving countries every few years...

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    I must have missed where it said what caliber the handgun(s) in questions were. Considering that .40S&W is at least as common (if not more so) than 9mm, and that there are any number of other possibilities, to assume with absolutely no evidence whatsoever that the rounds in question seems a bit presumptuous...
    I'm sorry OPFOR, that was my assumption and I was being just a teeny bit "tongue in cheek" with it because of the eternal caliber wars going on and I knew somebody would rise to that "bait" on both sides... Nothing intentional, bro.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

It never fails to amaze me when litigants are in court for a dog bite complaint,the Judge asks what kind of dog and the owners say it was an american staffordshire terrier or some such drivel,the Judge looks at them and says you mean a pitbull and they reply well yea that's what they are referred to
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links