Pit Bull Shot Three Times [including once in the head]; Still Charges Officers

Pit Bull Shot Three Times [including once in the head]; Still Charges Officers

This is a discussion on Pit Bull Shot Three Times [including once in the head]; Still Charges Officers within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://www.action3news.com ^ Posted on July 26, 2010 3 34 PM EDT by Chet 99 Omaha, NE - Officers trying to find a suspect in a ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pit Bull Shot Three Times [including once in the head]; Still Charges Officers

Exclamation Pit Bull Shot Three Times [including once in the head]; Still Charges Officers

http://www.action3news.com ^
    Posted on July 26, 2010 334 PM EDT by Chet 99

Omaha, NE - Officers trying to find a suspect in a sexual assault were thwarted for a while by a stubborn pit bull.

Police officers executing a no-knock search warrant near 33rd and Forest Lawn Avenue noticed a garage door partially open. As police approached, the suspect reportedly opened the door suddenly and a pit bull ran out, charging an officer. Police reports say he attacked "in a vicious manner, growling, showing teeth." The officer shot the dog in the head, causing him to stagger and collapse.

As officers arrested the suspect and tried to enter the house, the pit bull "raised up" and charged the police again. A second officer fired two shots, hitting the dog in his upper back and right rib area. The dog "fell slightly" but then charged the officers a third time.

The suspect--Aaron Sheperd--is in jail on a $5 million bond for sexually assaulting and viciously beating a young woman last week.

Reported by Kathy Sarantos Niver, kathy@action3news.com

ExSoldier's Note: 9mm EPIC FAIL?
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Gosh, I'd think that the DA would add aggravated assault on a law enforcement officer too after the pit bull attack. Glad no one was hurt.

Yet another lesson that illustrates that a determined attacker may not drop immediately after being shot. Poor dog.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    pit bulls are known for taking multiple shots and continuing their attacks...i believe there have been cases where head shots havent stopped them...including large caliber handguns for those who are gonna play the .45 will do it game....they are a tenacious aggressor....

Quote Originally Posted by Moga View Post
    Poor dog.
    I have no sympathy for the dog. One less viscous killer attack dog is fine with me.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

That's good on you.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Quote Originally Posted by Moga View Post
    Poor dog.
    Dirtbag owner...he should pay with a long time loss of freedom.IMHO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Moderator
    Anytime a punk releases a dog of any kind on an officer he should be charged with at least aggravated assault or assault with a deadly weapon.

Having seen what two pits can do when someone crosses their turf, I have no sympathy for any owner that treats their dogs like they are weapons.

Having been in a shoot with a pit bull,I am of the school that says if you do that, its an automatic thrashing within an inch of your life complete with time in jail.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Heavy charges of buckshot hammer pit bulls. They also don't stand up to high powered rifles or the dual rear wheels of a 1964 International 78 passenger school bus. That one did bounce those of us in the back of the bus out of our seats though.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Kind of makes one who carries a .380 with no spare magazines as a primary and only weapon stop and scratch their heads a little bit. Or, maybe not.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Back in the '70s my dad said every call he went to, That had a Beware of Dog sign he'd grab the 870, The good old days ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

I don't know what the point is of the thread..... so, some officers shot a dog that attacked them ?

I don't blame the dog, for the owner's lack of keeping the dog in control and that they may have possibly trained it to attack, as any dog could be regardless of breed. But, the LEO may have had no choice but to shoot it either. So, I see no point. Officer shoots guy that tries to shoot him ....... OK, and would you expect anything different than that ?
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

A good example of how tough it can be to bring down some animals, none of whom have gotten the Hollywood memo about the need to curl up and expire the moment gunfire is heard.

A lesson for us all ... Never say "die." Never give up. It ain't over 'til it's over.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I don't know what the point is of the thread..... so, some officers shot a dog that attacked them ?
    Durability of such dogs, for one. That one's choice of minimalist weaponry might well not be sufficient, if attacked by such a dog. That a person should not consider a firearm as a talisman that'll nix the threat like magic ... that sometimes it can be tougher than that, to stop a threat.

Management of a fearful situation, for another. An eye-opener for folks who missed this week's "Cops."
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I bet the cops was using a .40.....
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    I have no sympathy for the dog. One less viscous killer attack dog is fine with me.
    While I agree we dont need viscious attack dogs running wild in the street, I dont beleive we can be angry at the dog. I am sure this dog thought it was protecting its master and had no knowledge of its owner being a scumbag. It will always be the owners fault for the actions of their animal whether a pitbull, poodle or rabbit. Perhaps we should charge animal owners with additional crimes if they use their animal as a weapon, but to blame the dog is wrong. Would we feel it was a killer attack dog if it was a golden retreiver that was unleashed on the officers?
    Please take my posts with a grain of salt. I am frequently sleep deprived and always just on this side of "Krazy".

When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle. Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    The dog is a result of it's upbringing, and training. I have the utmost sympathy for that dog. To fault the dog is ignorance. Is the bull who gores a bullfighter at fault? Trot right up here and try to stick pins in me, and watch what happens.

This situation also should remind folks to shoot until the attack stops, whether the attacker is man or beast.
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links