Federal Agent and BOP Suspect Killed

Federal Agent and BOP Suspect Killed

This is a discussion on Federal Agent and BOP Suspect Killed within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This morning in Tallahassee, FL, a US Department of Justice (USDOJ) Office of Inspector General (OIG) special agent was killed in a shoot-out with a ...

Thread: Federal Agent and BOP Suspect Killed

VIP Member

Unhappy Federal Agent and BOP Suspect Killed

This morning in Tallahassee, FL, a US Department of Justice (USDOJ) Office of Inspector General (OIG) special agent was killed in a shoot-out with a USDOJ, Bureau of Prisons corrections officer who was also killed. There's the story:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=2104337

I'm saddened by it for a few reasons: he was a fellow FLEO doing his duty and a fellow OIG agent; I'm with another federal department's OIG....still, although I did not know him, this agent and I could conceivably have met at some point since we share the same schools at FLETC such as the Criminal Investigator Training Program and Inspector General Academy as well as many others.

Sad, very sad.

USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

VIP Member
    Not a good thing. Sorry to hear this.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

VIP Member
    I agree that it is very sad. But I also have some questions. Whose bright idea was it to send 2 agents to arrest 6 prison security personnel? There are a several of glaring problems with this: 1. arresting security personnel while they are working? Does this not leave the prison understaffed? 2. Are prison security personnel armed? 3. Is it not more sensible to make arrests away from prison grounds? Of course there is also the question of how one of the guards got his personal weapon into the prison. Someone was not doing their job.

I sometimes wonder who we are putting in charge of coming up with operations that in 5 minutes of review a 12 year old could find the flaws in.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Assistant Administrator
    I read of this in paper this morning but - details seem sketchy. Sad situation for sure.

I too wondered about the equality or not in numbers. It would be most useful to have more information tho I suspect it is only going to be the minimum given out.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    damm that is fubar in so many ways that i dont know where to start .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Lead Moderator
    Heard about this on the news tonight. Seems like for corrections folks were kind of "dirty", to put it kindly.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    From what I had heard from other LE sources, it was more than a team of two....it was a group of FBI and USDOJ/OIG agents which makes sense. I suppose that the agents and their supervisors thought it would be better to effect the arrest at BOP job location since it should be a control environment, i.e., no weapons readily available to the CO's. Sadly, that was not the case; apparently the CO shooter had a personal weapon on-site which, like his alleged activitity (which led to the indictment) was prohibited....at least from what limited info I have about BOP regs.

I would have considered them as HIGH RISK arrest. Did anyone have a vest ??
    One shot. One kill.

Primary Carry - Taurus PT-111 Mil Pro 9mm DAO with 12 + 1 in the pipe. Holstered in a Brigade OWB M2.

Secondary Weapon - Taurus PT1911 5" 45acp SA with 8+1. Holstered in a Kydex paddle.

UGLY.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Some where between planning and execution the plan and action became very different. Too bad about the FLEO.

VIP Member
    Tomorrow's SA Buddy Sentner's funeral in Orlando which I plan to attend.

VIP Member

Sad, Sad Day....

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I went to the funeral for the deceased special agent (SA), William "Buddy" Sentner III of the U.S. Department of Justice, Office of Inspector General (OIG). The funeral took place at the St. James Cathedral in Orlando. Bishop Wenski gave the service at church and Father McCormick at the cemetary.

As I said before, I did not know SA Sentner; I went to honor his memory and say "goodbye." It turns out I was the sole person there from my agency.

As expected, most of the attendees were other LEO's...most of those fed LEO's. The USDOJ Inspector General (IG), Glenn Fine, was present and spoke during the church service.

SA Sentner is survived by his wife, Maria Aguilar Sentner, parents and stepparents and various siblings. His wife and him planned on having children; sadly that did not happen.

According to IG Fine (and a card with a photo of SA Sentner and other information), SA Sentner "returned the suspect's gunfire killing his assailant. In the exchange, Agent Sentner suffered a mortal wound. His actions saved the lives of his fellow agents." As the news reported, the shooter, Bureau of Prisons Corrections (BOP) Officer Ralph Hill, had a personal weapon (illegal to have at the worksite) and opened fire, also injuring a BOP lieutenant.

IG Fine also stated that he was a veteran U.S. Secret Service Uniformed Division officer and special agent, joining USDOJ/OIG in 2002. He was also a firearms instructor.

I want to give kudos to the uniformed LE contingent present, especially the Orlando Police Department and Orange County Sheriff's Office. They expertly blocked off the route between the church and cemetary which I believe was called Greenwood which was off of Route 408. The OCSO (I believe...I'm sorry if I am mistaken) served as the honor guard (folding of the U.S. flag, 21-gun salute and taps). They were outstanding and I commend them.

....yes, it was a sad day.

Administrator
    Sad Terrible Story. R.I.P.
    Sickening how/why that happened.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Assistant Administrator
    Commendible you could attend - and represent your own agency.

A sad day for many but honoring the man appropriately. Sad as all get out he and his wife planned on kids - now not possible.

R.I.P. William "Buddy" Sentner III
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Sponsored Links