Article by an LEO describing how to deal with CCers

This is a discussion on Article by an LEO describing how to deal with CCers within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://www.policeone.com/police-prod...cealed-weapon/ Overall a good article - it talks about how to spot someone LEGALLY carrying a firearm (holster, "tactical" brand names, thicker belts with heavy ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Article by an LEO describing how to deal with CCers

VIP Member

Article by an LEO describing how to deal with CCers

http://www.policeone.com/police-prod...cealed-weapon/

Overall a good article - it talks about how to spot someone LEGALLY carrying a firearm (holster, "tactical" brand names, thicker belts with heavy buckles, etc) as well as common attitudes that CCers might display.

Generally a "pro" CC article, and the comments are all "pro" as well. Let's hope lots of LEOs are reading this, and following the recommendations...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

2. Remove Ads

Good article. Thank you for sharing.
    Please take my posts with a grain of salt. I am frequently sleep deprived and always just on this side of "Krazy".

When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle. Edmund Burke

Good read. Thanks
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Shared Behaviors
    This is normal behavior and/ or indicators from most of the gun carriers I see, cops, CCW carriers and other gun carrying personnel carrying discreetly.

• Shifting of the clothing — such as hitching up the pants, moving a jacket in place, pulling a pant leg over something, etc. — especially when getting in or out of a vehicle or getting up from sitting
    • Not zipping up a jacket when it’s cold out
    • Touching the area of clothing over the gun with any part of the forearm, elbow or hand
    • Checking out their surrounding constantly — the head on a swivel
    • Stopping with back to a wall

I’m not quite sure whether this is a subconscious affirmation of protection or self conscious behavior. I just know they do it. Again, only the highly trained and disciplined ones don’t do it.

Good points made here - as well as behaviors to not do.

The more you look like a guy with a gun, the more attention you attract and it won't be friendly.

Senior Moderator
    The more you look like a guy with a gun, the more attention you attract and it won't be friendly.
    No body can tell when I carry. Even my wife has to ask.

The only attention I get is from people that steer clear of me. The crazy look that I have and that wicked smile freaks people out...so says my wife.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Indeed, Mitchell, and I know I'm guilty of many of them. I try not to shift my pants (and I certainly don't grab my gun while doing so when I have to), but I do leave coats unzipped, check to make sure my cover garment is in place if I think it's been disturbed, scan my surroundings, and try to choose "tactically advantageous" places to sit/stand. I make a conscious effort to be discreet when I do these things, certainly, but I know they are "tells."
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Senior Moderator
    Nothing gives away like the eyes and the demeanor.

Pay attention and act like you are aware and you'll stick out like a sore thumb, because most people are oblivious.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Thanks for the good read!!!!

I am encouraged by the remarks from the comments after the article.

Heres part from the latest commentor:

I too am encouraged by reading the pro-carry posts here. The media does a great job at convincing the public that all cops are anti-gun. Personally, I find exactly the opposite. Virtually every cop I know supports the right to carry and most cops have never dealt with CC permit holder that is anything less than respectful. I started shooting IDPA matches this year and 99pc of the people at those matches are non-LE but the majority of them would wreck their car trying to stop and help any of us that might be in trouble. BTW, many of them are better with a gun, and more tactically minded, than 95pc of the cops I've been to the range with over the last 20+ years.

Martin Luther King, Jr.:
    Cowardice asks the question, 'Is it safe?' Expediency asks the question, 'Is it politic?' Vanity asks the question, 'Is it popular?' But, conscience asks the question, 'Is it right?' And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because one's conscience tells one that it is right.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Great article. Lots of things to think about. Good to hear it from someone Pro gun.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

VIP Member
    Thanks for the good read
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Very good article...

It is great to see this come from someone of a LEO background...
    Last edited by VTLO910; July 27th, 2010 at 10:46 PM.
    ::: NRA Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor, Military Veteran, Public Safety Professional :::

That was a very good read. I couldn't stop reading the posts after the article. Great stuff on the "very willing to come to your aid" link, midway through the article too. This guy has me pinned pretty good as far as dress goes. Except for while I'm kicking back at home or out and about during the weekend sometimes with the unshaven, jeans wearing, T-shirt, tennis shoes, ball cap farm boy look. Doesn't mean I'm not packin' heat though.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

SA can be a give away the fact that you are CC right, so how can you be SA and discreet?

All and all very good read.

One thing to think about is most who IWB or pocket carry CCer tent to ware one size or more to large pants so as not to print.

This is something I look for when in a group of people and try to pick out the CC folks.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

I always grab under my holster and mag pouch and hike my pants up when getting up from sitting most of the time,I am very discreet,but if someone is watching for it they could pick me out,the rest of the time I forget i'm carrying,I'm disabled and walk with a cane so my gait won't give me away,and I can't run so won't need to grab anything,besides my holster has excellent retention until I decide it needs to come out
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Pretty good read. Ever walk through the airport and try to pick out all the military folks in civvies? It's really not hard. You can easily tell with the demeanor and amount of awareness, this is almost the same thing (maybe because a fair number of people who carry are AD or former service members?) I know I've been trained that two kinds of people are aware of their surroundings, the first category is good guys, and the other one is bad guys. People who are unaware are just bystanders. You just need to be able to differentiate the good from the bad, which for us in country wasn't too hard. I would imagine that my appearance (military haircut, clean cut, decent clothes, even if the tattoos are showing), would indicate good guy, but who knows.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links