Attack On Camp Keating in Afghanistan

This is a discussion on Attack On Camp Keating in Afghanistan within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; 1. http://www.militarynewsnetwork.com/videos/video444.htm 2. http://www.militarynewsnetwork.com/videos/video443.htm 3. http://www.militarynewsnetwork.com/videos/video442.htm From my friend, an army infantry captain currently serving in Iraq but who had two tours of Afghanistan and ...

Thread: Attack On Camp Keating in Afghanistan

Exclamation Attack On Camp Keating in Afghanistan

1.http://www.militarynewsnetwork.com/videos/video444.htm
    2.http://www.militarynewsnetwork.com/videos/video443.htm
    3.http://www.militarynewsnetwork.com/videos/video442.htm

From my friend, an army infantry captain currently serving in Iraq but who had two tours of Afghanistan and who was heavily decorated there. At that time, he saw his company commander killed and had to assume command and then proceeded to win a "heavy contact" firefight.

His words: These are taliban videos of the attack on Camp Keating.

This was my home for 15 months in Afghanistan. We built a lot of this camp. It is terrible to see this happen. I've been to all of the places they're filming from. I've taken the same pictures of the camp. This sucks to watch."

ExSoldier's note: Well, at least it wasn't a "romp & stomp" easy thing. The last two videos show some insurgent fatalities and wounded. They don't LOOK like it was an easy fight, either. I don't understand how they were able to get such good "eyes" on the camp from above? Given the terrain, if I were in charge of that camp, I'd make sure I have very aggressive patrolling on the high ground and constant sniper scouts out 360 degrees & 24/7. They should never have been allowed to mass and prep an attack from higher ground. That's like asking for Dien Bien Phu all over again.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

2. Remove Ads

why are we still there? Is it for our ego and economic situation? Are we helping people? Can't the nations warlord handle the Taili on there own?

Quote Originally Posted by i10casual View Post
    why are we still there? Is it for our ego and economic situation? Are we helping people? Can't the nations warlord handle the Taili on there own?
    We are making progress there, we are doing a lot of good for the people of Afghanistan. Building a nation takes time, and that is really what we are doing. The Afghan security forces are taking more responsibility, but it takes time to develop a solid core of NCOs which they need as the basis for their military. Between the beginning of the War of Independence, and the final ratification of the U.S. Constitution was well over a decade, these things don't happen overnight.

I am kind of shocked to see the Taliban trying to go toe to toe, since we had a hard time getting them to do that, even in one of their own "strongholds."
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Well, given your reply, let me ask you this question: Why did we go in there to begin with? Do you know?
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    Well, given your reply, let me ask you this question: Why did we go in there to begin with? Do you know?
    To piss off the Dixie Chicks? To oust the governemnet that we put in power? To hunt down a former employee of the CIA? I don't know you tell us

Just got this response from my buddy to the comments I made:

You're exactly right and that's EXACTLY how we defended the camp. I have photographs of the OP they were firing on the camp from. Actually, I set up patrol bases there on a number of nights. We broke our Scout platoons down to small recon teams that did patrol the high ground 24/7. As one patrol broke down and moved back to the camp another was establishing it's perimeter on an adjacent highground. We did this for MONTHS. I also tied a VS-17 panels (bright orange signaling panel) to the tree where they were firing from and we used it as a TRP for our base defense platforms (MK-19s and .50 cals). We had about 10 panels tied up to rocks and trees all around the camp that we could use to control direct and indirect fire. Then I took 10-digit grids and elevation readings of all the good vantage points of the camp from the high ground and we registered those as targets for our organic 120mm mortars. If you look carefully in the background of the first video when the dude is firing that recoilless rifle you can see some of the branches are sheared and re-growing. I have a photograph of that tree just days after we dropped about a 20x round fire-for-effect on that EXACT location. There is shrapnel EVERYWHERE. These videos break my heart. Soldiers died there because they lost the edge. They stopped leaving the wire and let the enemy get too close. It's a shame.

Also, July 27th, 2007 is the day my Commander and a Squad Leader were killed. And 1x Afghan soldier was killed. And 17x US were wounded. One of my Soldiers was shot in the neck 10 feet from my position. We were ambushed by an estimated 150 bad dudes near the village of Saret Kholeh and we fought for about 48 hours. It is also the day I was awarded a Bronze Star w/ Valor for. This is a terrible day but I'm lucky to be alive.

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    The public story was to find and eliminate Osama Bin Laden.

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    To piss off the Dixie Chicks? To oust the governemnet that we put in power? To hunt down a former employee of the CIA? I don't know you tell us
    AH! Now I remember why I have you on "ignore." Thanks.

AH! Now I remember why I have you on "ignore." Thanks.
    My response was legitimate we armed the Taliban and supported the mujahideen when they were fighting the USSR. The reason we were so sure Iraq had WMDs is because they bought them from us .

It’s interesting that you chose an ad hominem attack rather than a reasoned response. Not surprising mind you, just interesting

Wow! Better quality video than I used to seeing from that part of the world, but it has been a while.
    My first thought was like you said, Dien Bien Phu. Real easy for me to sit in my nice leather recliner and ciritcise the placement of the camp there. If that is where the folks with boots on the ground thought it best I can only imagine what their other options looked like. I am not a big fan of depending on high tech gadgets, but if anyone needs an eye in the sky with FLIR it's those guys!

ETA: Treo, If congress had followed through like Charlie Wilson wanted and helped to rebuild everything we paid to have blown up we probably wouldn't be there now.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
    The public story was to find and eliminate Osama Bin Laden.
    Well the fact that AQ trained there and launched from there was also a deciding factor and when we nicely asked the Taliban to give him up they refused. So, we had to INSIST. We didn't put the Taliban into power and OBL never "worked for the CIA." Yes we armed him and many other militia groups during their war with the USSR. You'd think we might have learned something from that debacle while we were giggling over the "Russian Vietnam." We could have avoided all of it if we'd just spent the same kind of $$$ in rebuilding the place back in the early 1980s as we spent helping them blow it up. But we're fixing that now. We're rebuilding the country and the infrastructure and the schools and the power grid. Women are going back to school and back into the workplace. I spent four days at Parris Island last May for a special Educator's Workshop and I asked the warriors there who'd just returned from the 'Stan if we were WINNING there. The Colonel to whom I addressed the question danced around it (typical political response) about the military carrying out civilian policy and if the will to win is in the national policy that will be accomplished and yada yada yada.... but he said quite forcefully that when we meet the enemy eyeball to eyeball we are kicking A**! At least he says, the Marines are... YMMV.

Every time we (meaning US Forces) met the enemy face to face in Viet Nam we won too you can even see it at the Communist museum in Ho Chi Minh City (Formerly Saigon) ( For those who aren't getting mt point for all the ass we (US Forces) kicked in Viet Nam it's still Communist).

Bottom line Americans are dying (again) in a war they'll never be allowed to win.
    You really want to support the troops? Bring them home

That camp looks like the perfect place to ambush. Unfortunate but I guess the guys that picked the location knew what they were doing. If there aren't any eyes in the sky watching and destroying, then it would only be a matter of time until those guys would find it and do what they do. Sad.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Without turning this into a political debate, I will say the U.S. did NOT arm the Taliban, but did provide support to the Muj.

Iraq--not too sure of WMD sale...but when Saddam was trying to play all sides against the middle and continued to lie to everyone--having Tariq Aziz come out and say "Trust us...we don't have WMDs", despite their history of using them against their own people, we tend to not believe them.

My response was legitimate we armed the Taliban and supported the mujahideen when they were fighting the USSR. The reason we were so sure Iraq had WMDs is because they bought them from us .

It’s interesting that you chose an ad hominem attack rather than a reasoned response. Not surprising mind you, just interesting
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar

No the west did not arm the Taliban, they came in long after the Soviets were gone. It would seem the Taliban were raised by the ISI to help clear the Afghan roads of roadblocks that the Pakistanni trucking mafia were complaining about. The Taliban won against the remaining mujahideen through a mixture of utter ruthlessness combined with a limited but somewhat effective governance.

Links