Could Be Good or Ugly: Hartford LEO Faces Illegal Use of A Gun Charges

This is a discussion on Could Be Good or Ugly: Hartford LEO Faces Illegal Use of A Gun Charges within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://www.courant.com/news/connecti...tory?track=rss...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could Be Good or Ugly: Hartford LEO Faces Illegal Use of A Gun Charges

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Could Be Good or Ugly: Hartford LEO Faces Illegal Use of A Gun Charges

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    From the article he may be in a whole heap of trouble.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Doesn't sound like this LEO's first rodeo. I believe he's got some splainin' to do.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

His past is not going to help him out at all but that article is very poorly written and a lot of details are missing.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Define "guest' of the girlfriend.

In the military incidences like these are labeled as " conduct unbecoming".

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Maybe I'm reading it wrong but it seems to me the LEO sensed an intruder IN HIS HOUSE and responded appropriately. Once he found the facts, even though he was assaulted while armed, he withdrew to await LEOs who he knew were responding. He secured the weapon away from the 'intruder.'

Of course the fact he has multiple charges against him may signify that the facts haven't made it into the paper yet.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Either there is a lot of information missing, or the charges are bogus.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Maybe I'm reading it wrong but it seems to me the LEO sensed an intruder IN HIS HOUSE and responded appropriately. Once he found the facts, even though he was assaulted while armed, he withdrew to await LEOs who he knew were responding. He secured the weapon away from the 'intruder.'

Of course the fact he has multiple charges against him may signify that the facts haven't made it into the paper yet.
    ^^^^^I'm with paramedic70002^^^^^^^on this one^^^^^^

for the simple fact that, If indeed this is what happened,

from article;

[{Macci said White had attended the funeral of two Bridgeport firefighters Friday. White has friends who are firefighters in that city, Macci said. White was supposed to work an overtime shift early Saturday in Hartford, but he called in and canceled because he was tired, Macci said.

White returned home to Enfield early Saturday and immediately suspected that someone besides his girlfriend and their children were in the house, Macci said. He grabbed a handgun that he had stored inside the house and was then tackled to the floor and punched by another man, Macci said.]}

You and I would have done the same thing, why would you expect to be in trouble, with charges and all.
    His girlfriend was two timing him most likely, to much info not apparent right now, to make a call, but based on this, I don't see too much wrong with what he did.
    It was his house right??

Blaise Pascal:
    Man is equally incapable of seeing the nothingness from which he emerges and the infinity in which he is engulfed.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

There is practically no detail of substance in that one article. It's hard to tell much beyond the basics: that his lady friend had invited someone into the home they shared; that he didn't know this; and that some exchange/questions led to the man pulling a gun on the "intruder."

If anyone was there after having been invited, it's hard to see that anyone has a right to pull a deadly weapon on the person ... unless there has been some sort of credible deadly threat which is justified in being defended against, something that isn't described or even implied in the article.

It's hard to see how someone believes a deadly weapon is justified, unless a deadly threat exists. The mere fact a person isn't recognized, alone, is hardly sufficient cause to even believe a threat exists, let alone justifying aggressively going after the person with a firearm. Heck, every friend of my parents and siblings were strangers up to the first time I was introduced to them, and in none of those situations could it be claimed I had any cause or justification to whip out a deadly weapon and go after them all. Either some other facts exist that aren't being reported yet, or the guy blew it badly.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I see your point but I'm not going to be polite to a stranger in my home on the assumption that he has a right to be there.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    I see your point but I'm not going to be polite to a stranger in my home on the assumption that he has a right to be there.
    Well, that's the crux of the issue, isn't it?

Life simply doesn't consist of one possible reaction to "strangers" in the home, particularly when the home is full of family members. It MUST be considered reasonable that any one of the family members might have had a friend over to the house. It just isn't that difficult to quickly ascertain a person's identity, in a house full of other family members. Just ask. Be circumspect, sure ... but ask first, prior to shoving a gun in a person's face and threatening death as if every unknown person were a felonious intruder.

Hard to know the fact, with such paltry details from the article, but it looks like the DA is essentially taking this approach as well. As well he/she should.

If it were an obvious intrusion, with either broken doors/windows, signs of furtive movements or behavior, or in which a stranger was the only person in the home, that's something else entirely. And, frankly, it might well be this is exactly what the person saw upon entering the home, as it's not known (to us) whether he knew his other family members were even home. Hard to know, until more details are known.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

hard to judge without many facts
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Sounds like possibly the lady friend had a man friend. He was getting the gun to take care of it, and the man friend pounced to keep from getting shot. Story was told to repsonding LEO by all involved and this guys was less believable.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    UPDATE:

http://www.courant.com/community/enf...,1194433.story

Hartford Police Officer Christopher White applied for a family violence program Monday after his weekend arrest after a clash that erupted when he found his ex-wife with another man in his home.
    Methinks things aren't looking to good for this officer if he is voluntarily applying for a family violence program.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links